Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times

Advertisements

Just please stop with all everything is a scam nowadays. Don't like something---must be a scam. The bookstore that offered you $3 for a used book, but you think you should have been offered $8, clearly it's a scam. Well no, it's not scam. There is no expectation the bookstore should offer you $8 for your used book.

The same thing is for college job fairs, there is no expectations that there is a guarantee you will get a job by attending a job fair. Clearly you will have to weigh the cost and benefits of attending a job fair. The cost of attending (e.g. Gas, perhaps a entrance fee), vs the benefit. You get to talk to employers---perhaps develop a rapport with the representative for that company. That same representative that knows the hiring manager which can give you advantage when interviewing. Of course the other option is just to stay at home and hopefully something will happen. I would rather hedge my bets and attend a job fair, then not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Its not a scam exactly but not very fruitfull either. My son tried to find a job at these things and he was told to apply on line too. Also the people at the fairs are not in a position to hire. They are there representing their companies and to drum up applicants but the percentage that actually get jobs through a job fair is very few. However in this market you have to try everything you can.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
I never had luck with these fairs so I think they're a scam. It feels more like a bunch of vendors coming to a convention to sell people stuff instead of looking for employees.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
i wonder if those commenting that such fairs are useless are the same posters saying the prestige of an institution doesn't matter :/

Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
It depends on the job fair and company. I just went to an on-campus fair where some told me to apply online and some were legit. I think the larger fairs that are open to the public seem to have more of the employers who just want you to apply online. In those cases I just look up the companies who are attending, don't actually attend, and just apply directly on their websites.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM

570 posts, read 1,730,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
I went to a top research university, and the school job fairs were legit. Companies did on-site interviews and either followed up or hired on the spot.

It depends on the school, the current job demand for your field, and whether the company is hiring or just wants to get the name out.

This,

yeah, some companies are just there for PR. they are not hiring. Companies that want to recruit new college graduates do give on site interviews and/or exames. Sometime they hire like 20 people at the same time, that's how i got my first job.

i can only speak about college job fair, not sure about job fair for exprienced workers.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I found my college job fairs to be mostly a scam. The majority of the jobs being advertised were unpaid sales positions and the jobs that actually paid you something included the likes of Hertz or Enterprise (two of the worst companies in America to work for).

Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I found my college job fairs to be mostly a scam. The majority of the jobs being advertised were unpaid sales positions and the jobs that actually paid you something included the likes of Hertz or Enterprise (two of the worst companies in America to work for).
How are 100% commission sales jobs scams?

How are jobs at Hertz and Enterprise consider scams?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
How are 100% commission sales jobs scams?

How are jobs at Hertz and Enterprise consider scams?
Because having to do work is a scam... if you haven't figured out yet....

Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
All the job fairs I have been to (not college job fairs), mostly are jobs for selling insurance, selling financial services, home healthcare, and staffing agencies and light industrial/factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search