Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM

7 posts, read 11,740 times

Advertisements

I took over as the Product Manager for FairfieldCountyJobs.com in May, and one of my initiatives is to host Job Fairs in the areas that we serve (we have one coming up next week in Norwalk, CT).

As Job Seekers, do you find Job Fairs to be useful tools for your job search, and what do you think would make the job fair experience worth while? I want to produce the best possible career events for Connecticut, and it starts by asking you what you would like to see and working off of that.

I appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
This thread would be better suited on the Employment thread. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-19-2012, 12:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,983 times
I have had poor experiences with job fairs. You go to talk to an employer and they tell you to apply online and they won't take your resume. Too many schools trying to hook you into taking classes so they can make money off of you.
I went to a job fair specifically to talk to one employer in person and they did not bother to show up.
The job fairs I went to in the beginning of the recession were overpacked mob scenes. The last one I went to was fairly small and lightly attended, mainly I think because it was poorly advertised and people have given up on them.
This was in Atlanta.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
The majority of the positions at the one I just went to (and others in the past) was light industrial, selling insurance, selling financial services, or home health care. And staffing agencies.
I will not go to another one again since I do not qualify for light industrial and am not a salesperson. Not interested in home healthcare because it is extremely low pay I believe.
Yes, places that want to sell you training, some of which is questionable.
Problem: Listed employers not showing up. (mentioned as above)
They say bring your resume, but most do not take them.
Biggest lines were for the usajobs.gov rep.... you can apply to govt jobs online though, not sure why everyone was waiting in line for.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 11,740 times
So what would make the Job Fair experience better for you, or how would you change the fairs you attended to make them more engaging?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobione View Post
I took over as the Product Manager for FairfieldCountyJobs.com in May, and one of my initiatives is to host Job Fairs in the areas that we serve (we have one coming up next week in Norwalk, CT).

As Job Seekers, do you find Job Fairs to be useful tools for your job search, and what do you think would make the job fair experience worth while? I want to produce the best possible career events for Connecticut, and it starts by asking you what you would like to see and working off of that.

I appreciate any input!

If the Job Fair is in your field then it's a good idea to go for networking.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I have had poor experiences with job fairs. You go to talk to an employer and they tell you to apply online and they won't take your resume. Too many schools trying to hook you into taking classes so they can make money off of you.
I went to a job fair specifically to talk to one employer in person and they did not bother to show up.
The job fairs I went to in the beginning of the recession were overpacked mob scenes. The last one I went to was fairly small and lightly attended, mainly I think because it was poorly advertised and people have given up on them.
This was in Atlanta.
When you go to a job fair you are supposed to be in the networking mindset not job seeking. You go there and collect business cards and gain information about the company.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobione View Post
So what would make the Job Fair experience better for you, or how would you change the fairs you attended to make them more engaging?
Go to the Job Fairs with the goals below

1. Gain information about the company

2. Network and strike up conversations with company representatives

3. Collect business cards so you can stay in contact with different people

Now keep in mind this is only something to do if the Job fair is in your field of interest.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
You can gain info about ANY company either online or in the library, if you know how to do corporate research. Job fairs are staffed by greenhorn HR clerks who see hundreds of people. There is no way to stand out or "beat the competition", both of which are how you get hired.Skip the places where HR clerks hang out, and go where the decision makers and hiring managers and their employees go:professional conferences,trade shows, seminars and training courses. Yes, bring a resume, but first make some friends. Don't ask for a job; ask for the gold ring that smart headhunters grab: insight about the person's company and work. That's what leads to real relationships, real personal contacts, and valuable personal referrals to hiring managers. Job Fairs? Total waste. Been there, done that. You want to separate yourself from the masses of the unemployed, not be among them! You get a job by hanging out or being in the same place with and MINGLING with employed decision makers and other power players.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
I went to a Job Fair recently to see one employer that I really wanted to work for. I walked in, scanned the area, saw their booth and made a beeline to it. I waited patiently while they finished talking to others and then introduced myself. Turns out, the lady I have talked to on the phone and in email was there as well as the person who hires for the position I want.

I was flat out honest with them. I told them, "I came here because you were going to be here." I told them I had looked on their site for any openings, saw the Job Fair ad and that they were going to be there so decided to go. I told them, "I wanted to put a face to my resume."

Yesterday I got a call from the hiring lady for an interview on Monday. Mind you, I have interviewed in the past but that was with the other lady, not this one. We'll see what happens.

I really wasn't going to waste my time at this Fair after that but thought I should just look around, anyway. Saw a few companies I have applied to in the past, (some several times), and was told to put my name on the list for HR. Why? I've applied, did my resume not go to HR? What is the point? Of course, I did put my name on the list but it seemed like a pointless exercise.

I walked past a few booths where you could tell they were making judgements on looks and wouldn't even make eye contact. Yah, don't want to work for you either, buddy, not with that attitude.

I turned a corner and talked to a guy about Canon. Not because I wanted to work there but you know, Canon, good stuff. I was upfront and told him I just like the product, I'm NO good at sales. We chatted a bit mainly because I felt bad that no one was standing at his booth. I wish I was good at sales, I would have tried for the job, the guy was very nice.

Went from there and ended up looking at a job I have not really ever considered before. I have no idea why I stopped and listened. I really don't. But I did. And I talked a bit to the HR and the other rep there.

Long story short, I've already been in to take an exam, passed that and now have to take two more tests at the beginning of November as well as the intensive interview, (by several at the same time...goody!). If I pass those, and pass my background checks, (which I should), I may very well get it. I don't know, it's too soon to tell anything but I was only one of two out of a group that passed the exam in the first place. (Which floors me because I didn't find it difficult at all but then again, some math comes very easy to me, I guess.)

So, this job fair yielded two companies talking to me. What comes of it, who knows. Hopefully something.

As for some other vendors I've applied with before, they acted in typical job fair fashion...you're just a number to them, they don't actually care if you work there or not. "OH, put your name on this list! It goes straight to HR!"

Big whoop. But hey, thanks for the piece of candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search