Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I have no idea yet what kinds of companies or positions will be at the job fair I'm going to, but I'm going anyway regardless. With my current personal situation, I'll work 2 jobs if it means staying in my apt.

Any other comments about how job fairs are these days?

You go to job fairs that is connected to your current field or field of interest and just go there with a notepad. No need to take resumes because you are just there to gather information about companies so u can decide what places you want to send your resume to when you arrive home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 12:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,438,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You go to job fairs that is connected to your current field or field of interest and just go there with a notepad. No need to take resumes because you are just there to gather information about companies so u can decide what places you want to send your resume to when you arrive home.
What kind of horrible advice is this? There are situations where employers want to look at a resume right then and discusss it. Better to have them and not need them.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
What kind of horrible advice is this? There are situations where employers want to look at a resume right then and discusss it. Better to have them and not need them.
I agree you should be prepared. What if some mgr decides he is bored and says let's interview right now I am tired of telling people to apply on line. Whoops sorry I don't have my resume. If I were a mgr I would be thinking hmm I am going to hire you for sales are you going to act similar with potential customers. Colorado we would like to move forward with you oh I am sorry Mr new customer I have no contracts

Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post

Because it will show you are there to evaluate companies. If employers can say....."apply later" then why can't a applicant say....I will give you the resume later?"

Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
FBJ

Ok let me change that

Have the resumes on you but never take it out unless they ask for it. The only thing u should have in your hand is a notepad and pen for gathering information.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,418,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobione View Post
So what would make the Job Fair experience better for you, or how would you change the fairs you attended to make them more engaging?

Well, this is an old thread, but....please, get real!

If YOU host a job fair, have some jobs! WTH do you think people are there for, to be told to apply online? Have some actual hiring managers there, people who can make actual decisions, or at least make some preliminary decisions.....

first----if you advertised you'd be there, be there!

then, have people there who can actually talk about the jobs and make decisions to set interviews

and, most important, have some jobs! Do you really think people are thrilled to stand in line 2-3 hours just to "chat" with some dweeb about general information they could find on the website?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,418,499 times
Ok, here's my opinion of job fairs--

they satisfy requirements for both employers and job seekers in a "batch" format.

employers have to comply with EEOC and various guidelines. A job fair is a perfect way to satisfy such requirements---they interviewed x number, in a certain time frame, certain geographic locations, etc.

For the job seeker, well, to continue with unemployment benefits, they have to document they have been actively looking for work. The job fair is a quick way to meet multiple employers.

But, job seekers, my advice is to attend as many as you can. You won't find anything sitting at home!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, here's my opinion of job fairs--

they satisfy requirements for both employers and job seekers in a "batch" format.

employers have to comply with EEOC and various guidelines. A job fair is a perfect way to satisfy such requirements---they interviewed x number, in a certain time frame, certain geographic locations, etc.

For the job seeker, well, to continue with unemployment benefits, they have to document they have been actively looking for work. The job fair is a quick way to meet multiple employers.

But, job seekers, my advice is to attend as many as you can. You won't find anything sitting at home!

Not true I found a job sitting at home and never been anywhere near a job fair.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Well, despite the negative feelings many people have about job fairs these days, I still think it's worth going because no one knows WHO they're going to run into & if you can meet that one employer who shows promise, then the dressing up in a suit, using gas to drive there, etc. would have been worth it because you just never know what will become of that.

Any other comments or recent outcomes of what happened at YOUR last job fair?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, this is an old thread, but....please, get real!

If YOU host a job fair, have some jobs! WTH do you think people are there for, to be told to apply online? Have some actual hiring managers there, people who can make actual decisions, or at least make some preliminary decisions.....

first----if you advertised you'd be there, be there!

then, have people there who can actually talk about the jobs and make decisions to set interviews

and, most important, have some jobs! Do you really think people are thrilled to stand in line 2-3 hours just to "chat" with some dweeb about general information they could find on the website?

I agree with what is in bold 100%. The last job fair I went to all they did was talk about their company and give out literature. There were NO jobs. If there were they would have talked about the positions they were hiring for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search