Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times

Advertisements

But take a step back on that...who in the world is going to train you at the end of this month? People with seniority, and anyone else who can get away with it, take time off in December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
It seems like most of these companies are taking their time hiring. I had a final interview today. I was next to the last person she interviewed for 3 positions. She interviewed some people last week. But, the job probably won't start til after the new year. I guess that's not too bad, but, if I were doing final interviews at the end of one month into the beginning of another month I would expect a start date by the end of that month, at least. She mentioned in the interview how much they needed the help. But, I guess they don't need the help that bad.

Yeah I don't think any job is starting in December

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,910 times
^^^I know, but, I'm just anxious and ready to start something new.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
^^^I know, but, I'm just anxious and ready to start something new.

Me too, I don't know how to feel. Offer the job over the phone and was told they are in the process of putting the offer letter together and waiting for the green light from city hall.

Hopefully this is settled before christmas

Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Me too, I don't know how to feel. Offer the job over the phone and was told they are in the process of putting the offer letter together and waiting for the green light from city hall.

Hopefully this is settled before christmas

Is the position in an approved budget? With gov't, that is critical. If you talk to them in the days to come before hearing, you might wish to politely ask that.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Moderator cut: snip
I'm familiar with government funding issues, as relatives have gone through the same process TVSG is now.

Once they have expressed interest which he indicates they did, they would not be offended by questions about funding.

It would only be an improper question at the very first interview.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: deleted orphaned section

Old 12-04-2012, 04:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
The timeline you describe sounds totally normal for a governmental employer. And if the position for which you are applying is a brand-new one that didn't exist before, it could take up to eight or nine months - no lie! - for the hiring agency to get through all the hoops and actually make an offer.

My spouse and I both currently work in state government (different agencies, same state). When he got the call inviting him to interview for his current position, it had literally been so long since he had applied that he had forgotten what the job even was! He had to go digging back through his application files from months earlier to figure it out. In my case, the job I have is replacing a gentleman who had retired. He retired in February, it took the Bureau Chief until August to even get permission to post the job as a vacancy, and I didn't actually start work until November.

It's frustrating, but lengthy delays like that are part and parcel of many areas of government service. If you land this job, you should expect to encounter an elephantine pace with many or most major projects. On the bright side, the benes are usually pretty good, and I will say that the stress level is far lower than I ever experienced working in private industry.

Good luck, and I hope you wind up with an offer that is worth the wait.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,476 times
"time is money", doesn't that famous old quote ever have any meaning to businessess anymore? the way i see it is, don't waste my time and i won't waste your time

Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The timeline you describe sounds totally normal for a governmental employer. And if the position for which you are applying is a brand-new one that didn't exist before, it could take up to eight or nine months - no lie! - for the hiring agency to get through all the hoops and actually make an offer.

My spouse and I both currently work in state government (different agencies, same state). When he got the call inviting him to interview for his current position, it had literally been so long since he had applied that he had forgotten what the job even was! He had to go digging back through his application files from months earlier to figure it out. In my case, the job I have is replacing a gentleman who had retired. He retired in February, it took the Bureau Chief until August to even get permission to post the job as a vacancy, and I didn't actually start work until November.

It's frustrating, but lengthy delays like that are part and parcel of many areas of government service. If you land this job, you should expect to encounter an elephantine pace with many or most major projects. On the bright side, the benes are usually pretty good, and I will say that the stress level is far lower than I ever experienced working in private industry.

Good luck, and I hope you wind up with an offer that is worth the wait.

Just want to say that I was hired on 12/17 and it feels like a dream that I was able to land a government job. I can't stop crying because I know how lucky I am to be in this situation and don't ever want to criticize anyone ever again for being unemployed for longer than a year. I did not expect to have my own office after being unemployed for a year so I am definitely thankful to have this opportunity. When I first lost my job last year I never even gave it any thought to apply to a government job but I decided to apply and was hired even though it took 5 months. Hopefully 2013 is a good year for me.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:15 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just want to say that I was hired on 12/17 and it feels like a dream that I was able to land a government job. I can't stop crying because I know how lucky I am to be in this situation and don't ever want to criticize anyone ever again for being unemployed for longer than a year. I did not expect to have my own office after being unemployed for a year so I am definitely thankful to have this opportunity. When I first lost my job last year I never even gave it any thought to apply to a government job but I decided to apply and was hired even though it took 5 months. Hopefully 2013 is a good year for me.
Been there... it's a great feeling.

Make the most of the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search