Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,414 times

Advertisements

I am currently employed but am going through the interview process for a different position at another company. They contacted me based on my linkedin profile. I have completed six of the eight interviews for this position (only two more left...kind of exhausting). Also, they asked me to go and get 20 references (which I did). This wasn't the usual "name/relationship/phone number" reference request, but was a questionnaire addressed to my professional references that I had to send out and have sent back to the interviewing company. I am starting to feel like this process is just a test...i.e. "if he can see this through to the end, then it shows he can follow through.".

Also I had to provide them copies of everything: my CPA license, photocopies of other certifications, and transcripts as well.

Does this seem a little lengthy of a process? I have been out of practice for a while because I have worked for the same company for more than six years now and any promotions/job moves I have made in that time have been simple one-off interviews with department heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
i think that would turn me off from applying, esp if i was already employed. imagine how annoying they are with everything else in the workplace

ive never heard of so many references required

Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I had to do something close, but I believe I had to send out five questionnaires. Yes, it sounds silly and excessive.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am currently employed but am going through the interview process for a different position at another company. They contacted me based on my linkedin profile. I have completed six of the eight interviews for this position (only two more left...kind of exhausting). Also, they asked me to go and get 20 references (which I did). This wasn't the usual "name/relationship/phone number" reference request, but was a questionnaire addressed to my professional references that I had to send out and have sent back to the interviewing company. I am starting to feel like this process is just a test...i.e. "if he can see this through to the end, then it shows he can follow through.".

Also I had to provide them copies of everything: my CPA license, photocopies of other certifications, and transcripts as well.

Does this seem a little lengthy of a process? I have been out of practice for a while because I have worked for the same company for more than six years now and any promotions/job moves I have made in that time have been simple one-off interviews with department heads.
Wait... - 20 references.....? I believe they're playing a game. I don't think that the Pope could come up with 20 references... let alone anyone else. Oh, and yes...20 references after 8 interviews? 8 ...? Are you applying for a job to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court bench??? Are you replacing David Petreaus ?
Totally outlandish.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
As soon as I heard they would be having 8 interviews, I would have withdrawn my application for the job. Forget about the 20 references questionnaires. Were they planning on paying billions of dollars as salary? Head of IMF ? And I thought I heard it all....

Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
20 references is crazy!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post

A little lengthy? How about insane. I realize you live in the SHOW ME state, but come on....8 interviews.

And where does someone get 20 references? Let's say someone had 3 professional jobs, they would be hard pressed to come up with 20 people.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
You only need 7-12 (minimum 7, maximum 12) to get an idea of the results. 20 is a bit much.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
When a company starts jerking you around like this it is best to just withdrawal. I learned that the hard way after getting this a while back. Some companies just need to learn to put their HR dogs on a shorter leash.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Lifetime Accomplishments-Writing Assignment

It is the desire of Fujifilm to explore to the fullest degree possible a potential employee’s strength, weaknesses, talents and gifts. Furthermore, it is our belief that a person should be suited to a job in which they can use their unique strengths and gifts during the majority of their working hours.

A person’s strengths, talents and gifts have usually been consistently displayed in one’s life since early childhood up to present day. These unique characteristics are often best seen through the multiple significant accomplishments, achievements, events or situations in an individual’s life.

Your challenge is to think back in your life, from the earliest points possible to the present moment, and write a short narrative on two significant memories that have in common something you did well and enjoyed doing. Also, explain each of these memories as outlined below. If you have any questions about this, please ask, because this exercise largely influences our evaluation of every prospective employee.

Please follow these directions:

1. Name and describe the specific memory (i.e., experience, achievement, accomplishment, etc.) and your approximate age at the time.

2. State what you remember about the details surrounding this memory.

3. Each narrative should have in common that it was something that you did well and enjoyed doing. Both characteristics (did well and enjoyed doing) must have been present. Both are necessary because often in life we achieve significant accomplishments, but our heart really was not in it, and we really did not enjoy
doing it. Please pay careful attention to these criteria.

4. Describe why this event or accomplishment was so significant in helping you understand your strengths, talents and “gifts”.

5. Describe why it so enjoyable.

Below is a real life example from another person’s Lifetime Accomplishments.

An executive recalled one of her favorite memories as a child growing up on a farm. Apparently, one day she found a bird in the barnyard that had a broken wing. She remembered taking thread and wrapping it around the bird’s broken wing.

Over several weeks she nurtured the bird, both feeding it and ensuring that the wing was healing correctly. Her greatest joy came on the day when she was able to go in the barnyard, throw the bird up in the air, and see it fly away.

Do you know what this executive’s job is today? She is a highly skilled, corporate turn-around artist. She is an expert in fixing broken companies, restoring them to health, then letting them fly on their own. Her true gifts and abilities are found in her thrill for fixing broken companies, and yet those same skills would be skills that would be very harmful if she stayed in a company long-term.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
MsChemist,

I'd say the gal should have been a veterinarian.

Heck, she grew up on a farm too.

Fujifilm sux anyway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search