Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

What about that Michael Strahan (sp?), the ex-football player with the new coveted gig with Kelly, replacing Regis?

He has a gap in the front teeth. Should he fix it, considering he has money, or isit cute and part of his image now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
The area where I live has many seasonal jobs which don't even offer health insurance let alone dental insuance. Folks in these jobs making $10 an hour or so just can't afford implants or dentures. Funny thing when I started reading thtis thread I realized I don't see any customer service people with missing front teeth.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I am job hunting to get a raise out of my current job, but in a panic because I am about to be without a tooth. I was born without a permanent tooth above one of my baby teeth. I'm now 25 and the baby tooth is still hanging in there - but there is no root and it is starting to make my gums hurt. My dentist wants to remove it - but even with insurance, an implant costs over $1000 that I simply do not have. Not to mention that you still have a hole in your mouth for months of healing while the various parts of the procedure happen. A bridge is an option, but not all that much cheaper and it destroys two perfectly healthy teeth in the process.

I take excellent care of my teeth - my missing tooth is genetic, yet insurance still only covers a small percentage of the procedure. There are no affordable options when you are already living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
snaponsmile.com

Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM

277 posts, read 518,801 times
Never thought of this 'problem' - lost ALL my teeth about a year or so after my son was born (back in the seventies) and have had dentures for over 40 years now ... (they were a lot cheaper then) ... but lately my lowers don't really fit too well (jaw shrinking due to age) and I have the sores etc. but would never think of not wearing them .... don't think anyone is even aware that my 'teeth' aren't the real thing ... my problem in not being hired has more to do with my age now ...

Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
With no front teeth, I bet it affects the way she talks and people's ability to understand her ... and that is a big strike against her.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
With no front teeth, I bet it affects the way she talks and people's ability to understand her ... and that is a big strike against her.
If you're talking about my post that started it, the lady in ?, is missing teeth that one can see, but not necessarily her actual front teeth.

Shelters filling up during cold snap | KING5.com Seattle

Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I'm missing a tooth on the side near the back. You can only see the empty space when I smile broadly or laugh. Wow, it is expensive to fix! I just checked it out, $2,100 for the dental surgery for the implant and $1,600 for the top of the implant & cap.

$3,700 to replace one missing tooth! Man, it takes a long time for a retiree to save up that kind of money. But, it would be even harder to save up if I was making $10 an hour.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I have no missing teeth that I know of but I don't think my teeth are very attractive. They're kinda crooked and very worn. I used to grind them all the time when I was younger so they probably do not look clean (they look ugly to me)
I hope no one expects me to fix them because govt issued insurance doesn't cover these problems.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
I am about to be 23 in 3 days and have lost one of my main front teeth I lost insurance right before I turned 18 and right before that I starting going to a new dentist and had 11 cavities the next appt he filled 2 and told me ur all done come back next year so a couple weeks later I loose my insurance over the first couple yrs I kept moving around to see my father I hadnt seen in over 10 yrs and my teeth got worse but wasnt aproved for insurance in that state then he got married so I moved back home but before I could get insurance I met a guy who im now engaged to we moved out of state shortly after that when my mom got evicted and I couldnt get insurance once agian and spent a yr and a half there whike there one day my mouth started to swell and my teeth hurt so bad I wrnt to the er where they gave me a lecture for not seeing someone I had a very bad infection and awful tasting liquid was pouring from part of my gums they gave me antibiotics and said the infection will reach ur brain in a yr and youll die if u dont get it fixed wr got kicked out of our apt on christmas morning and moved in with my mom a couple months after living here I got phemonia and was hospitalized where they signed me up for healtg insurance but I havent gotta word on being approved yet after the hospital it was a couple months later when I clenched my teeth in middle of the night and my front tooth was fractured and I couldnt eat anymore I went to the dentist and he told me I wanna make for ur insurance to come threw before we do anything so sebt me with penicilin and a pain pill that didndt work a week later ny tooth broke and fell out while I was on the bus comibg back fron applying for jobs anf now I cant even look in the mirror and its hard to eat and im still waiting on my insurance after re applying and now I know I know noone will hire me because why would someone hire someone with missing teeth? But this page gave me hope thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search