Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInCali View Post
Any thoughts on this matter?
Yes. I wouldn't worry about how long it's taking. A lot of times, personnel issues take a lot longer than anybody wants (including the hiring managers) because all sorts of things have to take place for a written offer. It has to make the official rounds in the company, be approved by different people, etc. That's in addition to the regular job that everyone has to do. Beaurcracy, meetings, putting out fires, all kinds of things on the daily agenda that distract from the hiring process.

In the one of the last companies I worked out, we had an open req for literally a whole year. Not because we didn't need a person, but because the boss was so incredibly busy that he literally couldn't even take ten minutes to fill out paperwork.

My current job took about four weeks to get. Every week, the HR person was telling me it should be ready in a few days, but it kept dragging on because certain people would go on holiday, they couldn't get all the signatures, etc. It always helps to have a backup plan.

As a manager in a past role, I've been on the other side of the fence too. Like, I would really like to offer a job to someone, but I have to convince other people, and things have to make the rounds. In the meantime the candiate wants to know what's going on, and what can I say? I'm waiting, just like they are.

My advice to you is:

(a) don't communicate with them anymore. The ball is obviously completely in their court at this point

and

(b) start working on your backup plan - looking for another job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM

112 posts, read 285,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyk View Post
A few years ago I interviewed at a financial firm. After the second interview they had me sign forms for employment.

Never heard from them again. After many calls to the guy that hired me he finally said there was a hiring moratorium. 6 months later the company was dissolved.

This was a legit company that was around for nearly 100 years.
This particular company won't be folding up, but I have a feeling the recruiter I am semi-working with, won't be there long. She hasn't been with the company that long as it is. But whatever.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
This particular company won't be folding up, but I have a feeling the recruiter I am semi-working with, won't be there long. She hasn't been with the company that long as it is. But whatever.
Ah, she probably doesn't know what she's doing. Some of those recruiters are really flaky.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Even though I found a job through a recruiter, I don't trust most of them.

If you find jobs, by all means apply for them! If the recruiter gets mad I'd say "everyday I'm unemployed is another day I have no food in my pockets, I can't wait, it's been weeks, I need a job now, you know that, so if you have a job and a start date for me, FABULOUS, if not then I am going to continue to look and put MY best interests forward."

Apply for the job, and if you get it, when the recruiter calls you can say "oh I already found a job THANKS" and move on.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
All recruiters, company based or independent ones from headhunter firms are NOTORIOUS for playing all kinds of games with candidates. Don't care what field you're in. I've heard it all before in the 16 years I've been working in New York City. Here, recruiters are the equivalent of used car salesmen. Candidates play the same games with them, as a result.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post

Apply for the job, and if you get it, when the recruiter calls you can say "oh I already found a job THANKS" and move on.
The job I found is with the same company the recruiter got me the other interview with. This is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

But here's the other thing (which I mentioned in the original post), I met up with another person from the recruiting company at the job site for the interview. This person preps you for the interviews and then does a debriefing afterwards. This person also confers with the people I interviewed with. I wrote her on Thursday and called her on Friday.

I am going to let a week go before contacting them again just to see what happens.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Ah, she probably doesn't know what she's doing. Some of those recruiters are really flaky.
Here's the kicker, when I called the recruiter the week before and said my name, she thought I was someone else. I didn't just say my first name, I said my last name as well, and she STILL thought I was someone else. That has and does make me nervous. This makes me wonder if she knows what she's doing.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
WOW! The stories about recruiters. I don't know how people live with themselves doing this to other people. Do they forget about the human aspect and just say, "Its my job"? I hope I never get that heartless, because when I do I will be a recruiter myself.

Thank you both @Hockeymac and @nmita for your stories.

I really do want to work for this company (not for the recruiter, but the actually company they sent me to) and I saw another job opened there. Is it OK for me to apply for that job? I looked it over and I am definitely qualified for it.
ok, this is how I see it and I could be totally off base: the recruiter finds, what he/she thinks is a perfect match, an interview is conducted, the company agrees to a certain salary, the recuiter thinks he can get the company to pay a little more and get the candidate to come down a little by telling him/her the job is theirs. The problem, the company will not come up and the job offer goes away. At least in the case of my husband we know it came down to salary, if only they had offered he would have jumped. Our daughter said pretty much the same, she could just tell salary played a huge roll. I am sure there are many positive recuiter stories but many just do not materialize.

As for your applying, I think it would be ok as long as it isn't the same job.

Nita

Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
To be very honest. I think you have become a pest with all that incessant calling and emailing and they probably are having second thoughts about hiring you. I would have only contacted the company, not the recruiter.
I would continue to look elsewhere but I would suggest not continuing to contact any of these parties.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
To be very honest. I think you have become a pest with all that incessant calling and emailing and they probably are having second thoughts about hiring you. I would have only contacted the company, not the recruiter.
I would continue to look elsewhere but I would suggest not continuing to contact any of these parties.
I'd have to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search