Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times

Advertisements

I drove those 15 passenger airport shuttles before in a airport, now im at a dead end job. I'm still not married, in my 20's, and if there is semi-truck companies that want to hire and pays for my training, that will be great. im in the seattle area, i just read the news on yahoo that its very hard for companies to hire drivers and keep them.

I want to see the country, before i settle down. i dont care about low pay, since i make pretty low pay now, a trucking job might pay more.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 AM

26 posts, read 36,257 times
Prime Inc out of Springfield Mo will hire you and train you but of course you will be bound by a Contract to stay with there Company for a set amount of time! Although I know about 10 people who have gotten their training through them and are still employed there 5 years later a couple of them as Owner Operators! Best of luck to you!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
There are a lot of trucking companies that will train you to get your CDL. You will have to sign a contract to work for them for about 18 months or so.

Driving a truck is a good job if you want to see the country and get paid to do it.

After you get a few years of experience driving, plenty of opportunities will open up for you.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times
There are many companies that will train you. If you don't feel like you would want to sign a contract, you can always see if a local community college offers CDL training. Many do and it is usually less expensive than you would get someplace else.

Also, check out this link: https://www.layover.com/apply-now/?source=trucknet

Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Isn't a lot of trucking done in the dark? Not such a good way to see the country. Plus, if you're too tired, who wants to play tourist during the time off or go to a restaurant?

And aren't most trucks barred from wandering into cute little villages in search of a cool bakery or pub? Wouldn't too much time be wasted, first of all, plus too difficult to park?

Plus, don't truckers tend to put on a lot of weight?

Sorry I'm not able to answer your question. I've thought about driving, but these are questions of mine as I decide.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
There are a lot of ads around, but be careful, I've heard of people getting "starved out".

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Isn't a lot of trucking done in the dark? Not such a good way to see the country. Plus, if you're too tired, who wants to play tourist during the time off or go to a restaurant?

And aren't most trucks barred from wandering into cute little villages in search of a cool bakery or pub? Wouldn't too much time be wasted, first of all, plus too difficult to park?

Plus, don't truckers tend to put on a lot of weight?

Sorry I'm not able to answer your question. I've thought about driving, but these are questions of mine as I decide.
wow.. i like your bluntness and it opened my mind.. never thought about that.. for me, i dont care about towns too much, but big cites, i would love to visit. and i guess the reality is that i cant go to the city and park my semi, for the most part it will just be roads, and truck stops along the way.. seems borring

Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
wow.. i like your bluntness and it opened my mind.. never thought about that.. for me, i dont care about towns too much, but big cites, i would love to visit. and i guess the reality is that i cant go to the city and park my semi, for the most part it will just be roads, and truck stops along the way.. seems borring
I drive a taxi in an interesting city -- Boston. That, combined with some fun and interesting riders, makes for a fun and interesting job at times -- at least to me!

It's not high-paying, despite what you may have heard, but I can take all the breaks I want, sleep in the cab while it's slow at the airport (sometimes up to two hours or longer!...sometimes ten or twenty minutes). More important, I'm home every night! I can get my mail, set my DVR, go to a concert, etc. Can't do that in a truck.

I would be too bored and lonely in a truck. No live person to chat with for hours and hours, all while trying to stay awake on long drives at night. I can drop a fare, then rush to my fave bakery, all while double parked. Can't do that with a truck. Plus, truckers sre often confined to chowing st truckstops; I can zip across town to my favorite food joints.

I even get to have a shower every night, unlike some truckers.

It's hard for me to concentrate on driving for hours and hours without a break. In a cab, one seldom drives a customer for more than 20-30 minutes. Then, when they're gone, I can find a restroom, snack, make a call, surf the net -- all without a boss making me breathing over me. I can chat with a customer if we click. Sure, if I take too much time off during my shift, I'll suffer financially, but sometimes one doesn't care if it means losing $15...just let me take a nap in the backseat, no questions asked!

Consider taxi driving. It's not glamorous, I realize, but you'll learn a lot about your region, and maybe even get a few phone numbers along the way.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 8,489 times
There is lot trucking company which hire driver and provide them training and they sign bond of 1-2 years.

Many of the Country invite online application and give visa directly to employee.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 8,768 times
hey dude
There are lots of trucking companies out there who would be delighted to train you and help you to get CDL. only need is to do some search. grab a cup of coffee and open google.
all the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search