Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which job would be the better choice?
State government job, $50K - Operations Analyst 19 76.00%
Genworth job, $56K, Operation Analyst 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 18,119 times

Advertisements

I have been offered two job offers recently and would like some opinions on which one I should consider more. The first job is a state of VA government job located in Richmond. The second job is with Genworth. Both position would be in Richmond and both are Operations Analyst positions. The salary for the government job is $50K and Genworth is $56K, so not that much more but Genworth would offer more growth potential being in the private sector. I currently live in Richmond so relocation would not be an issue for either job.

I am trying to decide if that the job security offered by the state job is worth giving up the higher salary and growth potential of the Genworth job. They are both in similar areas of business and have similar job responsibilities overall, involved in implementing the Federal governments healthcare act, with Genworth being more database driven and of course tied more to performance.

If anyone has any advice for me on this decision or has made a similar choice that could provide some insight I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has worked for Genworth and can give any type of review that would really help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM

650 posts, read 1,813,076 times
After working in the private sector for the past 7 years, and comparing it to my friends working for the government, I would take a pay cut to land a government job. From what I can tell, government jobs are a lot easier with less stress. Not just because of the security, but because people leave on the dot. Private jobs people never leave the office at 5:00pm. My girlfriend and sister who both work for public, they leave exactly at 5:00pm and so does everyone else. You work your 25 years and get a great pension.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,606,899 times
You didn't mention benefits comparisons. They might factor into a decision/opinion.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,441,880 times
I'd probably stick with the government job. Like other have said, they are usually less stressful. If you put your time in, say 25 years or more, you usually get a fat pension and benefits after retirement. If you are very ambitious and want to move up quickly, the private sector gig might be more up your alley.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,944 times
its up to you. there are cultural differences in government jobs and corporate jobs. government may have more security in the long run but in the short run they also have more hiring freezes and less upward mobility. organizational politics exist everywhere. you just have two may a pro cons list and fully weigh your options. you can search the internet for inside opinions of what its like working at both places - check glassdoor and indeed. if you are early in your career all things equal go with the higher salary as all future salaries well be based on prior salaries. but if you make the list and the government job wins the pros/ cons the just ask the government to match the corporate salary.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
it is strange, most that voted for obama want a government job, but absolutely hate most government workers.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
After working in the private sector for the past 7 years, and comparing it to my friends working for the government, I would take a pay cut to land a government job. From what I can tell, government jobs are a lot easier with less stress. Not just because of the security, but because people leave on the dot. Private jobs people never leave the office at 5:00pm. My girlfriend and sister who both work for public, they leave exactly at 5:00pm and so does everyone else. You work your 25 years and get a great pension.

I agree with this, since starting my government job in December I have left at 5pm on the dot every single day. The latest I think i have left is maybe 5:03pm lol

And there is a low stress factor on this job versus all my other jobs in the private sector.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I'd probably stick with the government job. Like other have said, they are usually less stressful. If you put your time in, say 25 years or more, you usually get a fat pension and benefits after retirement. If you are very ambitious and want to move up quickly, the private sector gig might be more up your alley.
I was never able to imagine working at the same place in the same field for 25 years and for some that's rather akin to being caged for life. But some people are content with that. I think if you're a forward-thinking and upwardly mobile personality the private sector is a much better fit. If you're all about total security and clock-watching, a low to mid level government job with the possibility of very slowly moving up the ladder in time would better suit.

I realize one can't, or rather shouldn't, generalize but the people I know who work for local government seem to be rather a dull bunch without much ambition and only perform as much as they absolutely have to and are out of the door at 5PM on the dot. My first job was as a civil servant and once I'd learned the basics and taken advantage of some advanced tuition I couldn't wait to spread my wings and get into the private sector where things were much more interesting and challenging!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM

30,282 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob175 View Post
I have been offered two job offers recently and would like some opinions on which one I should consider more. The first job is a state of VA government job located in Richmond. The second job is with Genworth. Both position would be in Richmond and both are Operations Analyst positions. The salary for the government job is $50K and Genworth is $56K, so not that much more but Genworth would offer more growth potential being in the private sector. I currently live in Richmond so relocation would not be an issue for either job.

I am trying to decide if that the job security offered by the state job is worth giving up the higher salary and growth potential of the Genworth job. They are both in similar areas of business and have similar job responsibilities overall, involved in implementing the Federal governments healthcare act, with Genworth being more database driven and of course tied more to performance.

If anyone has any advice for me on this decision or has made a similar choice that could provide some insight I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has worked for Genworth and can give any type of review that would really help.
The cons of government work: You don't always start out at what you should be starting out, as seen here, and you don't always get a raise. Depends on what garbage they try to pull out of their hats when the word, "budget" is mentioned.

The pros: You have a union, (more than likely), to back you. Even if the union is worthless, (as most of them are), it's hard to get fired from that job. Not that you would, but private sector likes to fire for any reason at all.

I say this after working in the private sector and the public sector. Keep in mind, some government jobs also have stipends...and that can make a difference in the pay. Oh and don't forget, government likes to celebrate all kinds of holidays. Even if you work, you get comp time or holiday pay that you don't get in private....which again, closes the gap on salary.

But the main reason is: stability

Oh and yes, benefits. I have had only one private sector job with benefits that can come anywhere close to the bennies I get in my government jobs.

As for "being stuck", not necessarily. Once you get your foot in the door with the government, you have all kinds of choices. You are not "stuck" in one job. Just keep working for the gov and you'll be fine.

If you are young, a government job is definitely the way to go.

Edit: Forgot to add, along with that whole, "but the budget!!" carp they pull, it also means you probably won't have to serve a lot of OT, in government work. If they can't pay you the wage you deserve, they also can't afford OT....which is very, very nice. None of this, "come in on your day off" unless they absolutely, positively have no other choice...so unlike private sector who thinks they own your time.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
If it was a fed job, I would say go fed. State jobs...no room to move usually. State jobs are dull. Go with private. If you are confident and have a great personality and love a challenge. If you are fat, dull, low energy, take the state job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search