Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 AM

433 posts, read 1,370,311 times

Advertisements

A little over a month ago, I got a call from a screen-printing shop for a job. He didn't even invite me for an interview, he had my resume and told me to just come in that day and start working... He asked me how in long would I be there and I said I wasn't sure because I had to get ready and stuff, so in around 1-2 hours. I got ready and took off for this new job.

When I arrived there, he said I came in a bad time because it was they're lunch break. Fine, whatever...I then waited half an hour and we had short stand 1-2 question interview asking what experience I had in print shops which is when I was in school. My main job would be to help around the print shop. He told me I would be there until 4:30 that afernoon, but instead I left around 3:30 which is when he told me to leave. It was supposed to be a temporary on-call job.

I later never heard back from the manager. When I went back there to pick up my cheque for the day I worked there, I saw someone there who was absent the day I had worked there, presumably the guy I was replacing. Now it's been about a month and a half and still haven't heard back. But now, I just checked this job search site for job postings involving printing in my city, and this company just posted a job offer for THE JOB I WAS DOING THERE!!!! This time it's a permanent position, but he's asking for 2 years of similar experience. Should I call him back, or he just doesn't want me? I've only got a year experience from when I was in school. He even said that he had nothing for me when I called him up the second week that I called. He was the one who even said I should call him so he can fix a schedule because I already have a part-time job in retail.

So do you guys think I should call them back or do they just seem unprofessional with not calling me and saying I came at a wrong time because it's lunch time, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Ifya wannna work, call him.

You're not gonna work there otherwise.......

Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I agree, but it sounds like he was unimpressed with your experience and has since gotten busy enough to need someone full-time. You don't meet the requirements, or he would have considered you. Still, if you are supposed to be an on-call temp, and he decided against continuing with you, he really should have called. I'd look elsewhere, the guy sounds flaky
and rude.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, but it sounds like he was unimpressed with your experience and has since gotten busy enough to need someone full-time. You don't meet the requirements, or he would have considered you. Still, if you are supposed to be an on-call temp, and he decided against continuing with you, he really should have called. I'd look elsewhere, the guy sounds flaky
and rude.
I also wonder if it could be my fault. I was supposed to call him the following week on the Monday to tell him my availability for that week, but I ended up calling him on Wednesday because I got a another call on that Monday for a job interview at another employer, one that interested me more, that was scheduled for the next day. The on-call temp job interested me less and I just didn't want to call them and put it in the way of the interview. Do you think that made me look careless or unprofessional? Could that be one way why he didn't want to consider me anymore and it made me seem uninterested?

Last edited by mtlquebec102; 03-24-2013 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
We really do not know why this guy is not interested in hiring you. However, it is obvious that he is not. Plus, he sounds like a flake.

I would not bother calling or applying. It will not end well.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Call him it shows initiative and that you really want the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search