Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,405,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Hmmm. Of course, this was a savings and loan, but....

Given the way the "financial services" industry has behaved over the past couple of decades or so, I would say they've got their nerve. LOL, what a complete joke. The actions of the management and boards of some of these institutions has been disgusting beyond belief. Haven't some major banking institutions had some issues with laundering drug money? Not to mention the mortgage meltdown, need for bailouts from taxpayers, etc. And they have the gall to place standards on lowly job applicants they'd never be able to uphold themselves.

Tell 'em to stick it. Many people have credit issues these days in the first place, BECAUSE of the economic conditions wrought by the financial institutions.
I lost my job, twice, during this whole mess. My credit is still pristine. I live within my means. If the item is too big to put on the card and pay it off before I pay interest (I like the extra warranty you get when you pay with some cards, so I buy it and pay it off on credit for the warranty) then I am not going to buy it. I do not go into debt at Christmas, rather I shop within in my means. I do not take elaborate vacations I have to put on the credit card. I refuse to put consumables on a credit card (gas and food). I budget my money.

I am sorry, but even a job loss isn't an excuse for bad credit. If I look at someone with 20k of credit card debt and the person is telling me it was his job loss that caused the issues on the credit report, my response is going to be that it wasn't the job loss, it was the 20k in credit card debt that caused the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,204,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I lost my job, twice, during this whole mess. My credit is still pristine. I live within my means. If the item is too big to put on the card and pay it off before I pay interest (I like the extra warranty you get when you pay with some cards, so I buy it and pay it off on credit for the warranty) then I am not going to buy it. I do not go into debt at Christmas, rather I shop within in my means. I do not take elaborate vacations I have to put on the credit card. I refuse to put consumables on a credit card (gas and food). I budget my money.

I am sorry, but even a job loss isn't an excuse for bad credit. If I look at someone with 20k of credit card debt and the person is telling me it was his job loss that caused the issues on the credit report, my response is going to be that it wasn't the job loss, it was the 20k in credit card debt that caused the issue.
Tell it to the "financial institutions". They really ought to take your advice and clean up their own act before getting all bluenosey with people. It's like some of these business managers who want to drug test their employees (which I agree with, btw) when they should be drug tested themselves.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 PM

67 posts, read 198,849 times
not all 'bank' jobs deal with money, a bank can be a corporation with offices other than the branches, ie. a wholesale banking side vs. retail. My long history in the financial world has never been to deal with money on the retail side of the company.

Quote:
What was wrong with it? You applied at a savings and loan with bad credit. The company was open about their policies about financial responsibility. They pulled your credit in front of you and gave you an opportunity to explain. You decided to get all up in arms and defensive that a BANK feels they chouls be able to check your financial responsibility and did not get the job.

Where;s the issue?
I dont recall saying there was an issue per se. I am and have always been aware of the possibility of a CR pull especiallly in a financial institution, but have not had this come up "IN THIS MANNER" for other positions that I have received in the past eight years. Always a first. Fully accept that they could pull a CR. Just not in the way it was done.

The point of my post was to ask if others had this experience and to provide my experience, not the act of having a CR pulled, but to have a CR pulled in front of you and talked about. I've never heard anybody mention this happening to them and per the responses of this post, it doesn't seem common. I am in no way shocked or surprised one was pulled, in front of me, yes. I would have preferred it done in the background and not abruptly on the spot. You, like you do on the UI forum, always find motives that weren't ever presented. But thanks! Just wanted to vent and find other opinions, and I guess you gave yours

Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,454,435 times
So what happens to someone who is in the financial field, but loses their house through foreclosure. Surely that employee want get fired for a credit score drop. Well should that principle still not apply in hiring someone with maybe a couple of credit glitches on their respective report ?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 AM

432 posts, read 1,229,986 times
After reading these responses I won't be applying for any financial jobs when I move back as I won't have any credit built up after not living in the country for many years! I wish I could transfer my Australian excellent credit rating over...sigh...

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM

815 posts, read 2,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Financial institutions bond their employees. An employee with bad credit isn't bondable. End of story.
Oh reeeely Mr. Knowitall???? Well, my brother in law has the worst credit imaginable and landed a position with an insurance company while he was filing bankruptcy ... then two years later he was employed with Bank of America.

So yes ... end of story.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM

815 posts, read 2,702,895 times
[quote=allen96817;28970116]

The point of my post was to ask if others had this experience and to provide my experience, not the act of having a CR pulled, but to have a CR pulled in front of you and talked about.

-----------------------
-----------------------
I agree. It's a very confrontational way to discuss your credit issues. I would have been blind sighted and uncomfortable. Some might say, "oh well at least the prospective employer is giving you the opportunity to explain". Explain what??
If it's bad it's bad. Short of someone stealing your identity there really isn't much to say. Just make your hiring decision internally and don't involve me in your sorted, arbitrary process.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times
Quote:

BINGO! I've also gone through two stints of being unemployed in the past six years, and I have never, ever paid a bill late. I live within my means, have savings, don't charge anything I don't have the cash in my checking account to pay for, and don't carry debt except my mortgage. (I did have a 0% car payment which I had the cash to pay off at any time, I was leveraging--it's been PIF for a year.)

I do put consumables on a cash back card, which I pay off every week. Right now I've got $40 for a tank of gas, $250 for a plane ticket I bought for my brother, and $60 worth of groceries. I've got more than enough in my checking to cover those items, which were all budgeted for.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Your opinion on the matter sounds like a walking Republican talking point to me.
It's simply a policy I refuse to agree with it as everyone has had their share of credit problems, minor or major, in their life. Ever paid a bill late Ms. Personal Responsibility?? Yeah, I thought so.
I'd like to see your FICO score sweetheart.
A bill has to be 30 days past due before it will be reported as late to the reporting bureaus. Paying your credit card a week late will cause a late fee, but it will not affect credit.

You are completely wrong that "everyone" has had their share of credit problems. The majority of people have never had a late on their report. The mean FICO in the US is 723, and people don't get that score by not paying their bills on time.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Oh reeeely Mr. Knowitall???? Well, my brother in law has the worst credit imaginable and landed a position with an insurance company while he was filing bankruptcy ... then two years later he was employed with Bank of America.

So yes ... end of story.
What was he doing for BofA? I'll bet he wasn't in a cash handling or management position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search