Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Sucks that it's a lot competition for a minimum job in 2013
Yes, you really had a bit of a rough time of it in the year that you were unemployed and particularly towards the end. But you did land a job finally so it just goes to show that there's something out there if you keep plugging away.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Quickest keys in the west.
Hence my screen name... LOL

Who knows... maybe I could make some money with this?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM

167 posts, read 278,270 times
Target your resume to the job. I was underemployed for about 11 months in 2010, but started to taylor my resume based on the job description. Within a month I was tested, phone interviewed and hired starting salary 69K/yr, now 81K/yr. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
Target your resume to the job. I was underemployed for about 11 months in 2010, but started to taylor my resume based on the job description. Within a month I was tested, phone interviewed and hired starting salary 69K/yr, now 81K/yr. Good luck!

It's not that simple, there has to be a opening and then have to hope to be called out of the competition.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I mostly just look on Craigslist.. you can actually find some good leads there.
Definitely expand your search beyond Craigslist. Subscribe to job boards. You'll probably see duplicates, but you will see a good one often. Indeed, CareerLink, Moster, CareerBuilder and if you haven't yet, get on LinkedIn.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times
like everyone has said its a numbers game but you also have to know that you may not have done as well as you thought. many people get so excited about the opportunity that they miss all the red flags that scream that they wont get the offer.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...y-wasting.html

just keep your head up and keep trying. something will open up soon

Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Definitely expand your search beyond Craigslist. Subscribe to job boards. You'll probably see duplicates, but you will see a good one often. Indeed, CareerLink, Moster, CareerBuilder and if you haven't yet, get on LinkedIn.
Except those jobs advertised on those sites get flooded with applications. You may be better off pounding the pavement and handing your resume out to small businesses, many of whom don't advertise on those boards and thus receive far fewer applications.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Except those jobs advertised on those sites get flooded with applications. You may be better off pounding the pavement and handing your resume out to small businesses, many of whom don't advertise on those boards and thus receive far fewer applications.

Unfortunately there is no pounding pavement in 2013. The options outside the internet are

1. ads in local newspaper
2. networking events
3. job fairs

Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Unfortunately there is no pounding pavement in 2013. The options outside the internet are

2. networking events
3. job fairs
Pounding the pavement still has it's place. I know a 20 year old who put in a few on-line applications because he needed another job after one he had cut back his hours. Then he planned to walk into individual stores to ask the managers if they were hiring. He walked into the first one, asked the manager if they were hiring and was told to fill out an application on-line. He told him that he already had so the manager told him to sit at some computer and take a skills test. By the time he got home, they were already calling him to come back the next day to fill out direct deposit forms and get a drug screen.

Many who hire would just as soon save themselves the hassles of going through mountains of applications and arranging interviews. They're not required to do all that and in this guy's case, he made it easy for the manager by just showing up asking after he did the application on-line.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Quote:

2. networking events
3. job fairs
In Corporate America, yes. But pounding the pavement is an option for finding employment at a small businesses and may be the only hope for some people that Corporate America deems "unemployable" (ie: the currently unemployed). This is because many small businesses hire either when they are expanding or have an unexpected vacancy. If an unexpected vacancy occurs, the small business may not have time to write an advertisement, post it on a website, and then wait for applications. There is too much work that has to be done that worker who just left isn't currently doing (if there was originally only three people at the firm, it is difficult for the other two to absorb the workload of the missing person, especially if that person had a different skill set) and the employer can't wait for the perfect applicant. Instead, they may contact various contacts (which includes people who walked in with a resume), to see if they want an interview.

This is particularly useful to the currently unemployed. An unemployed applicant may actually have an advantage in this circumstance as the applicant can come in for an interview as well as start working immediately, whereas a currently employed applicant could not (they typically must give notice to get time off for an interview and two weeks notice when they decided to leave). Corporate America can afford to be pretentious and dismiss the currently unemployed as "unemployable," given the huge number of applications they receive as well as the fact that they usually do not need to fill vacancies immediately (their size allows them to forecast vacancies well in advance and not to feel the effect of a few unexpected vacancies). That is not the case for small businesses (when I say small business, I generally mean businesses with fewer than 50 employees and, unlike some members of Congress, don't include large S Corps such as Koch Industries as a "small business").

Another option for people is to post applications directly on company websites. Many small businesses and even some large businesses do not advertise via third parties but, instead, advertise on their websites. When they advertise only on their websites they receive far fewer applications, on average. This means you are competing against far fewer applicants and, accordingly, your chances of success are much greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search