Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,500,863 times

Advertisements

I agree it is very rude and a poor business practice. If you've been interviewed, but not hired, then you should receive at least a generic email out of simple common courtesy which seems to be sorely lacking in the business world today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,192,225 times
For phone screens, I don't expect rejection responses ... I understand companies do alot of phone screens. Once i get to f2f interviews, I expect the company to close the loop with me and, sadly, in my experience I can recall only one or two company calling and giving me the news out of several dozens I've ever interviewed with.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,025,761 times
I have learned to wait double the amount of time, and then ask, if nothing then, count it out.

Frustrating but what can you do, most companies need more people than they have hired.

I was told for a job I interviewed for March 29th I'd hear back April 5th. Lo and behold it's the 8th, no response yet.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM

30,392 posts, read 23,858,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So has anyone else been going through this? Seems like it is becoming very common and it is just very rude.

I had an phone interview with a company 3 weeks ago. She scheduled me for phone interview number two and then said I should hear back within 2 weeks. After the second interview, I emailed her the information she had asked of me and a thank you note.

Well two weeks have gone by. And I haven't heard back. Sent her an email on Thursday and waiting to hear back. But how rude is that? At this point, I am sure I did not get the job. This is a pretty big company that is national and mostly everyone on this forum knows them so I am surprised they aren't more professional.

But this is not the first time this has happened. I have interviewed with several companies who say I will hear back within a couple weeks or so. And I never do hear back despite sending follow up emails. How hard is it to just say "I am sorry but we have selected someone else. Good luck to you."?

Anyone else go through this? Have you ever had a situation where you didn't hear back for a while and thought you didn't get the job but ended up getting it? Any other related stories?

Need some encouragement here. Feels like I have just been having back luck all around.
I agree with you that it is extremely rude. Puts a bad taste in my mouth about the company that they can't bother to send a fricken letter to someone who interviewed but didn't get selected.

In my opinion, if someone says, "two weeks", then there better be some kind of communication in two weeks. Having said that, because there's all these excuses, (I'm so sick of excuses), I give them an extra week. If I haven't heard back by then, I call them and ask them.

One company claimed that they sent me a letter in the mail, when I called them. No. They did not. Yes, they had the correct address.

Frankly, we should apply for their job if they can't find the time to fill in a name for a generic rejection letter. It takes two seconds.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,025,761 times
Or an email! Takes a SECOND and is FREE

Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,326,866 times
Rude and annoying. Now all the power goes to crappy employers.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,280,570 times
Honestly I don't see it as rude by any means. I mean if they say you will get a call in 2 weeks and they don't you didn't get the job.

In reality you should have kept applying for jobs. You can't just wake 2-4 weeks doing nothing while they figure out the right canidate.

I honestly would rather NOT get a call from HR saying I didn't get the job. Call me if I got it otherwise don't even bother.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,701,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Honestly I don't see it as rude by any means. I mean if they say you will get a call in 2 weeks and they don't you didn't get the job.

In reality you should have kept applying for jobs. You can't just wake 2-4 weeks doing nothing while they figure out the right canidate.

I honestly would rather NOT get a call from HR saying I didn't get the job. Call me if I got it otherwise don't even bother.
i have gotten a job months after i interviewed, and an interview months after i applied, and almost no place where i've interviewed has kept to their original timeline, so.... it's nice to have closure. i do agree that you should not put all your eggs in one basket and keep job searching and applying for other jobs until you have a start date. you never know. it's also pretty psychologically healthy to just let a job go once you've done everything you can do on your end. put together a fantastic application, send it in, let it go. then if you get an interview, prepare like crazy, do your best, send a thoughtful follow-up/thank you after, and then let it go. stewing over it doesn't help, halting your job search is a terrible idea, and hassling the hiring manager is also a terrible idea.

ideally i think that everyone who applied and didn't get the job should get a form rejection e-mail. it is really not that hard to do that, especially if you have any kind of hr software. even if you do not, it's not a big deal to put everyone's e-mails into a spreadsheet and send out a mass rejection when the position is filled. and certainly if people come in for interviews, it is not a huge deal to sent out 5-10 e-mails to the candidates who were rejected.

i can see not caring if you hear back from a place that rejected you and even preferring not to hear, but are people really *complaining* about hearing back from a place, as someone else in this thread said? i mean of course you're not happy that you were rejected, but what is the negative of a company taking the time to let applicants know they weren't selected? that seems considerate to me and i can't think of what the problem with it would be. i'd have to see an example of someone complaining about this to believe it.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,464,012 times
Not hearing back after a phone interview is to be expected but if you meet in person the least they can do is tell you that you aren't getting the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So has anyone else been going through this? Seems like it is becoming very common and it is just very rude.

I had an phone interview with a company 3 weeks ago. She scheduled me for phone interview number two and then said I should hear back within 2 weeks. After the second interview, I emailed her the information she had asked of me and a thank you note.

Well two weeks have gone by. And I haven't heard back. Sent her an email on Thursday and waiting to hear back. But how rude is that? At this point, I am sure I did not get the job. This is a pretty big company that is national and mostly everyone on this forum knows them so I am surprised they aren't more professional.

But this is not the first time this has happened. I have interviewed with several companies who say I will hear back within a couple weeks or so. And I never do hear back despite sending follow up emails. How hard is it to just say "I am sorry but we have selected someone else. Good luck to you."?

Anyone else go through this? Have you ever had a situation where you didn't hear back for a while and thought you didn't get the job but ended up getting it? Any other related stories?

Need some encouragement here. Feels like I have just been having back luck all around.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,665,308 times
Yes, it is rude and unprofessional for an organization to express how little they value applicants who spent their time and effort on an in person interview by failing to even send an email saying "we decline."

It is also very, very common. You truly should let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search