Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that's cool, i got the job i have now without sending a thank you letter (or e-mail) but it still isn't going to hurt, and could help!

I know but I don't want people to think it's mandatory you send one because some interviewers know they are going to hire you way before they get your thank you letter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,748,575 times
Quote:
i think they're worth doing. they're not going to change an interviewer's mind completely, but if it's close between you and someone else, it can make a difference. i think of it as more of a follow-up than a thank you. it's a chance to show that you are still very interested in the position after learning more about it, say things you thought of later that you wish you said during the interview, show that you really thought about what was said. just saying "thanks for the interview" is pointless if that's all you do though.

i do this in an e-mail though, i don't send a card or anything.
As someone who participates in hiring, I am not a fan of thank-you letters. I have yet to receive one that made me think more highly of a candidate, although I've received a few that caused me to rank a candidate lower than I would have had they skipped the letter. (Super cheesy, artificial, etc.)

I'm sure this probably varies depending on the industry, though.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
As someone who participates in hiring, I am not a fan of thank-you letters. I have yet to receive one that made me think more highly of a candidate, although I've received a few that caused me to rank a candidate lower than I would have had they skipped the letter. (Super cheesy, artificial, etc.)

So many people thank it's mandatory

Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,686,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I know but I don't want people to think it's mandatory you send one because some interviewers know they are going to hire you way before they get your thank you letter
that's fair enough! i don't think they're mandatory either. like i said, they're not going to make an interviewer reconsider you if it's a "no". but if it's a "maybe", and you write a really good one.... it could help tip the scales.

wry martini, i did once get a thank you card for my boss where the candidate said she saved someone's life on the plane on the way there (she is a nurse) and that he said god must have sent her there at that moment, therefore god must have meant her to have this job. i don't think she had a good interview to begin with but that was definitely the clincher for her rejection.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
It's odd the jobs I end up getting offers for I didn't write thank you letters.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times
Quote:
i think they're worth doing. they're not going to change an interviewer's mind completely, but if it's close between you and someone else, it can make a difference. i think of it as more of a follow-up than a thank you. it's a chance to show that you are still very interested in the position after learning more about it, say things you thought of later that you wish you said during the interview, show that you really thought about what was said. just saying "thanks for the interview" is pointless if that's all you do though.

i do this in an e-mail though, i don't send a card or anything.
I just did my first tailored thank you e-mail. I thanked and reminded them of the points we talked about that impressed them about me.

The other thing I did was paraphrase recite some of what the VP said he did to get to VP. That shows him I have good listening skills.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
So many people thank it's mandatory
Well in sales it's expected. In fact, the nicest HR person I have dealt with, said you have great follow up skills and I am impressed you took the initiative to ask for the VP's e-mail to thank him for his time.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

Can you give an example of superficial and cheesy I would like to burn that to memory?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
It doesn't hurt to send one, but very often the hiring decision is made within minutes of the candidate leaving.

As someone who does some interviewing, I can hardly keep track of who's who after a few candidates. All the interviewers meet up right after and make the decision immediately.
What kind of positions are we referring to? I am applying for high end sales jobs with a base of 40-50k and upside of 100k. These require three rounds and 5-10 applicants.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,686,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Can you give an example of superficial and cheesy I would like to burn that to memory?
i do tend to not do thank you letters unless i honestly have something to say to follow up on the interview. if i have something to add, something to address (for instance recently an interviewer asked me if i thought i'd be bored in the job because i am a bit overqualified so i followed up reiterating why i would be happy to take it and how it fits into my chosen career trajectory) or something i can say i learned about that made me more excited about the job, i will e-mail. if i don't have anything to say, it generally wasn't that great of an interview and i'm not going to bother following up. if i was more desperate for a job, i might make more of an effort to find something to say, but i still doubt i'd send thank yous for everything.

i'd say the trick to not seeming insincere, superficial or cheesy is to be sincere and thoughtful or not bother. although my example of saying that god sent you to take this job is pretty high on the cheesy scale. don't say that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search