Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,336,393 times

Advertisements

My wife felt she did well on her interview and after the interview, she sent a Thank You letter. Her references let her know that they have been contacted. Now, she is just waiting. Should she send an email or a phone call to see if there is any update? To let them know that she is still very interested in the position if it hasn't been filled yet? Trying to let them know she's interested but doesn't want to go overboard to the point were she is stalking the potential employer and she gets herself eliminated. What's her next best move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 PM

340 posts, read 914,400 times
I'd wait a week since they first contacted the reference. It doesn't show urgency, but it shows you are commited. Call then and ask if there is an update.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,686,820 times
how long has she been waiting? it's really best just to wait (remember that they have a different sense of time in this process, and there may be legitimate issues holding things up as well), but i find that this is good advice if she really feels she needs to check in. i really like alison green's advice in general:

How to Check on the Status of Your Job Application - On Careers (usnews.com)

Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,468,894 times
No. The best move is wait and see.
Do you think they may be considering another candidate but because your wife call they will change their mind?
If there is no response between a week to 10 days she can call, but from my experience it never helps.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 PM

300 posts, read 1,137,382 times
I personally don't believe in thank you letters anymore.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,686,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
I personally don't believe in thank you letters anymore.
i think they're worth doing. they're not going to change an interviewer's mind completely, but if it's close between you and someone else, it can make a difference. i think of it as more of a follow-up than a thank you. it's a chance to show that you are still very interested in the position after learning more about it, say things you thought of later that you wish you said during the interview, show that you really thought about what was said. just saying "thanks for the interview" is pointless if that's all you do though.

i do this in an e-mail though, i don't send a card or anything.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
My wife felt she did well on her interview and after the interview, she sent a Thank You letter. Her references let her know that they have been contacted. Now, she is just waiting. Should she send an email or a phone call to see if there is any update? To let them know that she is still very interested in the position if it hasn't been filled yet? Trying to let them know she's interested but doesn't want to go overboard to the point were she is stalking the potential employer and she gets herself eliminated. What's her next best move?

Follow up with a email after 7 days with

"Subject: Update on hiring process"

Hello XXX

I interviewed with you on 4/15/ for the XXX position and I wanted to let you know I am very interested in this exciting opportunity. Please get back to me at your earliest convenience about the status of my candidacy for the position.

Respectfully Yours
Your Name

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,575,448 times
Sit and wait. Anything else looks ''pushy'', in my opinion.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,154,772 times
"What's her next best move?"

Keep on with her job search.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
"What's her next best move?"

Keep on with her job search.

Sometimes if you get a good enough vibe you don't feel uncomfortable about following up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search