Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM

19 posts, read 99,999 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I would like your advice/experience at doing this... I want to move to another state but it will be very difficult if i don't have a job lined up...

Have you ever succeed at applying for a job at another city?

I heard that employers would not look at your resume if your contact/address is from another location. Some people get jobs because they have friends or relatives that help, but I don't have anyone in the city I want to live.

I appreciate your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i have been doing this. i haven't gotten any jobs yet, but i have gotten lots of interviews.

just make it very, very clear that you are moving. put it near the beginning of your cover letter and also on your resume, just below the address line. specify when you are moving if you have a date.

it also helps if you can move with not very much notice (hard to do, unfortunately) and without assistance. if there's anything you can throw in there to make it clear that you are serious about moving, do it.

what i say is "I am moving to the ______ area to be closer to my family and I am prepared to relocate with very little notice." sometimes i add "and without assistance" if the employer seems very emphatic about not offering it, to show that i understand. otherwise i leave it off just in case they offer!

you also want to make sure your cover letter and resume are absolutely the best they can be. if you know anyone who is a hiring manager, or is just generally a smart person with good judgment and/or a good writer, have them look your things over and give you advice.

good luck! job hunting is definitely harder when you're not local but it's not impossible to get a job long distance.

Last edited by groar; 04-22-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM

19 posts, read 99,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i have been doing this. i haven't gotten any jobs yet, but i have gotten lots of interviews.

just make it very, very clear that you are moving. put it near the beginning of your cover letter and also on your resume, just below the address line. specify when you are moving if you have a date.

it also helps if you can move with not very much notice (hard to do, unfortunately) and without assistance. if there's anything you can throw in there to make it clear that you are serious about moving, do it.

what i say is "I am moving to the ______ area to be closer to my family and I am prepared to relocate with very little notice." sometimes i add "and without assistance" if the employer seems very emphatic about not offering it, to show that i understand. otherwise i leave it off just in case they offer!

you also want to make sure your cover letter and resume are absolutely the best they can be. if you know anyone who is a hiring manager, or is just generally a smart person with good judgment and/or a good writer, have them look your things over and give you advice.

good luck! job hunting is definitely harder when you're not local but it's not impossible to get a job long distance.
Hi Groar,
thanks for your advice! I think I should make that clear on my resume, at least let them know that I'm moving for sure... the only thing thing is that my moving date depends on the job I get...

Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
In that case you are able to move immediately.

Keep in mind that what you want is to make it past that first screen and get an interview. Follow groar's advice.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg78 View Post
Hi Groar,
thanks for your advice! I think I should make that clear on my resume, at least let them know that I'm moving for sure... the only thing thing is that my moving date depends on the job I get...
my situation is the same right now! i will be moving whether or not i find a job, but not for a while, and i can move sooner. in that case just put "moving to _____________ spring 2013" on your resume and just change it if it gets to be later than that , and put something about being able to move quickly in your cover letter.

in online applications that ask when you can start and demand a date, i just put 2 weeks or so from the date i apply. i am working now and i think employers understand that you have to give notice. likewise, they'd understand that you need some time to move, although you really have to reassure them it will not take a really long time.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg78 View Post
Have you ever succeed at applying for a job at another city?

I heard that employers would not look at your resume if your contact/address is from another location.

Some people get jobs because they have friends or relatives that help, but I don't have anyone in the city I want to live.
I lived in Jacksonville and got laid off in 2010. After a few months of local job searching I started sending resumes all over the country. I got a call from a job in Seattle that I found with a google search.

I did drug testing and paperwork locally with the results faxed across the country. My first interview was over the phone the next day... Second was the following day with Skype.

I got the offer a few days after that. It didn't include relocation money but I had nothing holding me to FL anyway... I had sold my house about 8 months prior to the layoff.

I packed up and drove cross country a couple weeks later and started the job. My skilled trade (CNC machining) got me the job offer... Not anyone I knew. I didn't know anyone west of Memphis. All my family and friends were east coast... I had never been west of Memphis prior to moving here.

Sometimes you have to roll the dice.. FL unemployment is horrible. I took the job here and don't regret it. This is a beautiful area and I'm working a job 10 times better than any job I ever had back east.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
I tried doing this for years and it was a waste of my time. Generally speaking, unless you have 15+ years of experience in the field or are in a high-demand field such as IT or medical, most employers will not consider out of area applicants. You have to ask yourself: is it likely that the employer can find my skills in their area already? If so, they probably aren't interested in you. Sometimes major corporations such as Boeing will often consider out of state applicants. May or may not offer relocation assistance. They know people are willing to move for those jobs, whereas smaller companies are little more hesitant about the risk involved with someone they haven't met in person.

In my case, I only had a few years of administrative experience out of college. Nothing fancy. I eventually just saved up the money and moved to my destination without a job lined up. It was scary, I was unemployed for 2 months (which is way shorter than many relocaters), and my first job in the new city was a minimum wage retail job. Luckily for me, I eventually got a professional position that pays decent. But I know I wouldn't have gotten this job if I wasn't in the area.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Sometimes major corporations such as Boeing will often consider out of state applicants. May or may not offer relocation assistance. They know people are willing to move for those jobs
Yes they do... and yes I was willing.

How'd you guess?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I know of several former colleagues who moved to another state in one of two ways:

1/ Tried (some were successful and some were not) to find a job from their current city, and then moved.

2/ Moved to the city of their choice (with about one year in savings) and then found a job, while local. This group of colleagues was more successful in that every one of them eventually found jobs in their fields. (Average job search was about 6 months.)

It does seem that employers do favor the local candidates. Of course, this is not a scientific survey. Good luck with your situation.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 PM

119 posts, read 410,367 times
I am looking to do this in the future, and it is quite disconcerting that employers would put location before skills of the applicant. But hey, as they said, you gotta roll with it. I think the more important parts are to mention that you are willing to move fairly fast (within 2 weeks to allow time for your notice), and to make it even more attractive, that you may not need relocation assistance. Do let us know how things progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search