Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

oh yeah, looking back at the application (which i can still edit, which is kind of neat), it just filled in the majority of my job history information automatically from linkedin. then i uploaded a resume and pasted a cover letter, added my contact info, and filled out a couple of demographic questions. easy peasy. i doubt that took me 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Now a days jobs look for longevity of previous jobs. And many look for sanity. It's not so much about education any more. Can you coexsists with others? Can you be your own person? Not easily influenced by other co-workers? Can you be taught and retain things easily? Do you have patience? Are you on the ball? Are you flexable?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Now a days jobs look for longevity of previous jobs. And many look for sanity. It's not so much about education any more. Can you coexsists with others? Can you be your own person? Not easily influenced by other co-workers? Can you be taught and retain things easily? Do you have patience? Are you on the ball? Are you flexable?

Yeah any new job I started I try to stay 2-3 years................IF I CAN lol

That wasn't possible in non-profit

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM

oy vey, i just came across a job that requires a typewritten paper application form and three customized letters of reference!!

i'll take 99% of online applications over that! i'm still applying though, the pay and benefits are phenomenal and i guess the annoying application process will narrow the field a lot.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oy vey, i just came across a job that requires a typewritten paper application form and three customized letters of reference!!

i'll take 99% of online applications over that! i'm still applying though, the pay and benefits are phenomenal and i guess the annoying application process will narrow the field a lot.

Doesn't sound that bad to me since those letters would come from previous supervisors who I always use as references.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The real secret is

1. Applying to jobs at 7pm in the evening that only requires a direct email.
Unfortunately you're not the only one with that idea.
So I started having mine sent out either around 12-1AM or around 4-5AM.

I think I'm going to start finding out the business hours for the places I'm applying for and send my application 60 minutes before hours of operation.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound that bad to me since those letters would come from previous supervisors who I always use as references.
i have enough people who i usually use as references, but getting someone to write a letter is a much bigger deal than telling them to expect a phone call. i've only come across one other job that requires a letter of reference (at least with the application) but i didn't end up applying.

also, references are kind of a pain to me because here is my job history:

- current job - does not give references.
- previous job - i use my boss and a member of the board of directors as references, and a coworker if i need one.
- job before that - data entry in a facility that is closed. i don't even remember my supervisors' full names.
- job before that - deli where i worked directly for the owner, who has since died.
- job before that (12 years ago!) - temp agency, i actually have a reference there.

i also use my contact person at a nonprofit that helped me coordinate a large project done by a community organization that i created.

but i sometimes wonder if it's a problem that my references are light on supervisors and skips a big chunk of my career. i do offer performance reviews from my current job in lieu of references.

Last edited by groar; 05-26-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Unfortunately you're not the only one with that idea.
So I started having mine sent out either around 12-1AM or around 4-5AM.

I think I'm going to start finding out the business hours for the places I'm applying for and send my application 60 minutes before hours of operation.

Really? I thought I was the only one on the planet applying to jobs that way. Now i have to come up with a new job search strategy to provide to the people I serve

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,384 times
Quote:
Really? I thought I was the only one on the planet applying to jobs that way. Now i have to come up with a new job search strategy to provide to the people I serve
Can also apply for companies with positive reviews rather than looking for job postings.
I've gotten more interviews sending blind applications than sending applications in via a posting.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 AM

323 posts, read 562,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Once you've targeted a company you would want to work for, my suggestion would be to infiltrate your network to see if you can make a connection. Assuming that the office is in an area near where you live, I'm certain you can find someone through churches, country clubs, meetups, volunteer work, etc.
this is excellent advice. churches, facebook, and even volunteering are an EXCELLENT way to meet up with people and infiltrate the system of connections. just to give some crazy examples of myself (although i am a stay at home mom and now cant work this was crazy for me to realize). on my facebook page i have about 300 friends. of these 400 friends (and i know them all well enough to speak to regularly. none of these people are total strangers):

at least 30 are in the position to get someone a job

at least 15 are in hiring positions

at least 4 are the only people who ever hire at their job

now, out of the above people, i am related to 3 of these people. i had no clue before last year. out of the ones i am not related to, i shared a makeup session with 1 person (and she is one of the ones in the last category). i had no clue this woman even was a manager, let alone the only one who hires new people for her company. one day, she inboxed me after i put up a post lamenting my suckie resume writing skills...told me to send it to her and she would fix it for me. and indeed, she did. the resume is now looking really great. and she attributed it to the fact that as a hiring manager, this is what she looks for on resumes. that is how i found out she is a hiring manager.

continuing on. in my church, at least 5 people are in the position to get people jobs. out of these 5, 3 are managers and 1 is a hiring manager.

volunteering, i became good friends with quite a few people. now two of those people own their own businesses, and are willing to share work ideas and opps when they can. so even maintaining good friendships with people who "dont have much" now can benefit you later when they do have much to offer.

sorry for the long post...but i really do believe that a big key to landing a job is to actually learn about the people around you. who are they? what do they do? can they help you get a decent job? i think most of us, between social networking, our neighborhoods, and even our childrens schooling...know at least 10 people in a position to help us climb the job ladder some way, some how.

we are now trying to straighten up some kinks in my husbands working ability so a cousin of ours may be able to directly hire him at his company. as someone else said, it's not always what you know, it's who you know. and i think most of us know someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search