Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times

Advertisements

Some are so poorly designed, they won't accept your ap when you hit submit, and won't tell you why!

I got caught in a circular trap the other day: Posting on Monster takes you to the company's website job posting, which takes you to the Monster posting! Luckily their LinkedIn news updates mentioned the job opening -- it wasn't posted on LinkedIn, BUT, it gave an email address to send your resume to. PHEW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Just came across this online application and it's a shame they are not all like this. No SSN# request or references request

First Name

Last Name

Address 1

Address 2

City

State

Zipcode

Daytime Telephone

Evening Telephone

Email

Cover Letter

Resume

Send Application

Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
The worst part is doing a rigorous application knowing full well you won't land the position.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
When you email or fax resume your resume it's about 50% chance of getting a call back

When you complete a online application there is a 10% chance of getting a call

And that's why people don't like it
The percentages you describe are probably proportional to the number of applicants. Web-based applications make it easy for people who have already applied for a position at the same company to submit one for the new position, whether they're qualified or not. Consequently, you're in a pile of applicants that include a bunch more chaff than the pile who bother to submit by email.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I think the best applications to apply through are the ones through your university's career services.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Hate it or not, people will have to get used to it. Like many other companies we only accept online applications with uploaded resumes. The process itself is the first test, of whether a person can follow instructions and use a computer, which is required of all employees. Since all our job announcements say that you have to apply online, anything faxed, mailed or dropped off would be tossed out.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Hate it or not, people will have to get used to it. Like many other companies we only accept online applications with uploaded resumes. The process itself is the first test, of whether a person can follow instructions and use a computer, which is required of all employees. Since all our job announcements say that you have to apply online, anything faxed, mailed or dropped off would be tossed out.

I hope you don't ask for

SSN

References

Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I've recently started applying for jobs after not having to for the last 2 yrs & it's a real hassle. I really thought my latest job was going to be my lifelong career, but it didn't turn out that way.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
the social security thing really does bother me , for jobs that won't even answer you back

Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
i don't mind online applications as long as they don't have the kind of glitches and stupid design that are discussed in that article. but you could determine the same things by having people e-mail you their materials and giving specific instructions about file format, file names, what materials to send, etc.

i really like yale's online application system - you have to make an account, but their application auto-populates when you upload your resume (and it did it pretty accurately in my case), then it saves all your info for next time. you can still click through and change things, but you don't have to re-enter everything. and it doesn't ask for information that is inappropriate to ask from initial applicants like ssn. it also has a nice list of all the jobs you applied for and what their status is.

the only thing that i think could be better is that the system saves up to 5 cover letters, but you can only either attach a saved one or type in a new one. it would be nice if you could open a saved one and edit it before sending it.

my current job's online application, which i was using for a bit when i was thinking of transferring, is frozen at the point when i got my job. every time i applied to anything, i had to add an entry for my current job, plus i had to re-enter a few different things in each other job in my employment history, and delete and re-add my education history because it was messed up. what a stupid waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search