Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
I met a baby boomer once who was a jerk who thought he was always right and smelled awful.
Therefore all baby boomers are cocky jerks who smell awful. It's the only logical conclusion indeed, especially since I can't think for myself and must be told how to think by some poorly written fluff piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Yawn. Another article deriding an entire generation based on some isolated anecdotes.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Therefore all baby boomers are cocky jerks who smell awful. It's the only logical conclusion indeed, especially since I can't think for myself and must be told how to think by some poorly written fluff piece.
Actually, yes - most boomers think themselves and their generation are the greatest thing ever. I mean, look how much their houses and stock portfolios increased in value when they didn't even need to do anything.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM

40 posts, read 97,760 times
People tend to not be very good at things they don't have practice doing. Millenials may seem to have bad interviewing skills because they are new to job interviews. Any other generation would be the same way. I am 26, and my interview skills have improved drastically over the last four years since I got o ut of college. You live and you learn.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
34 is considered millennial now?
I'm younger than that and don't consider myself part of the millennial generation. I'd like to think that 28-29 is the cut off because none of my friends act the way stereotypical millennials supposedly do (according to all the articles out there.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Someone who is 34 is right at the tail end of Generation X and beginning of Generation Y (the Millennials), according to most traditional definitions.

These kinds of stories have been around for years. I remember over ten years ago when I was graduating from college, reading about how terrible some Gen X'ers were supposed to be at interviewing, etc.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
yeah i think this story just speaks to a few things:

1. some people are terrible at interviewing/acting professionally
2. this tends to happen more (but certainly not exclusively!) with younger people than older people.
3. some older people love putting down younger people as a group.
4. someone needed to write an article about employment topics and this is one that will get a lot of attention and therefore pageviews.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Well, the good news is that as 'imbeciles' move up the food chain, they interview and hire other imbeciles.....so eventually, unless you are an imbecile, you can't get hired.

Encouraging, isn't it?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM

11 posts, read 62,524 times
There will always exist outliers given the 70 million Gen Y kids out there. Wait a minute... I'm 32 closing in on 33. I ain't a kid anymore.

Well, I was born in 1980 during that odd transition period between Gen X and Gen Y... Even so, I identify with Gen Y more due to my personality and preferences.

It's spooky how the kids have grown up, isn't it?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
I found this article and thought it'd be an interesting read - bringing a pet to an interview, answering a text??

Managers to Millennials: Job Interview No Time to Text
Thanks I need that laugh. WTF bring a cat? I would probably yell at the girl and tell her to get out. I am actually glad this increases my chances because I have common sense not to bring my Daddy to negotiate for me. What next have Mommy bring tissue and wippies? I guess some aren't ready for big boy pants LOL. I know it's an anomaly for dramatic effect still funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search