Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times

Advertisements

I would keep put it on. If it shows up and you did not tell them, it can raise a lot of red flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I would not have left it out and the resume should have been up-to-date when submitted. If this employer hires you and realizes you lied, decides to let you go, you'll have another gap or list the employer this time and have them tell the new one considering you that you were fired and failed to mention that. This all comes down to integrity no matter how you try to paint it.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I was fired from my last job on Friday and also received a job offer on Friday but they need to do a background check.

I didn't tell the new company that I was currently working when I interviewed with them - but I was - and I didn't include it on the resume either. I am afraid to put my last job because I was fired for insubordination and I am afraid that my manager may say some derogatory things about me because she just fired me with no warning.

Should I include her information and this company on the background check or just leave it off???

Also, I worked for this company only for 3 months so it wasn't a good fit.
I know I'm late here, but this is my .02.

To many background investigators (BIs), hiding and/or falsifying infomation or a negative event can be viewed as worse than the actual occurance. If you are applying for government work which requires a high security clearance, forget it. You can kiss that job and the possibility of ever getting future government work and a clearance goodbye.

If you do decide to hide this incident and get fired again from the new job, it's simply going to be harder and harder for you to find work. This time, it will be that you were fired for dishonesty. THAT looks a heck of a lot worse than being terminated for insubordination. No employer wants to deal with someone they cannot trust, especially if you will be handling money and/or sensitive information. I sure as hell wouldn't want to work with someone I can't trust, especially if I have to one day put my life in their hands.

Do you really think the BIs are not going to find out about this? This is what they do several times a day, every day and they are good at it.

The investigators and your future employer would rather deal with and hire somone who is honest about a situation, even if you were supposedly at fault. Remember, there are 2 sides to every story. Just explain to them what happened without badmouthing your former boss. I can promise you that you will come out better than covering this up. Even if your honesty costs you this position, you will still have a better leg to stand on in a future job search than if you weren't Good luck.

Last edited by Gil3; 05-23-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
You can leave it off your resume or my standard advice for dealing with a termination is to
1. Hire a service or have someone call and determine what they will say if called.
2. If they badmouth you send a cease and desist letter to get them to back off
3. Never reveal you were fired that is a deal braker for 99.9% of potential employers.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I know I'm late here, but this is my .02.

To many background investigators (BIs), hiding and/or falsifying infomation or a negative event can be viewed as worse than the actual occurance. If you are applying for government work which requires a high security clearance, forget it. You can kiss that job and the possibility of ever getting future government work and a clearance goodbye.

If you do decide to hide this incident and get fired again from the new job, it's simply going to be harder and harder for you to find work. This time, it will be that you were fired for dishonesty. THAT looks a heck of a lot worse than being terminated for insubordination. No employer wants to deal with someone they cannot trust, especially if you will be handling money and/or sensitive information. I sure as hell wouldn't want to work with someone I can't trust, especially if I have to one day put my life in their hands.

Do you really think the BIs are not going to find out about this? This is what they do several times a day, every day and they are good at it.

The investigators and your future employer would rather deal with and hire somone who is honest about a situation, even if you were supposedly at fault. Remember, there are 2 sides to every story. Just explain to them what happened without badmouthing your former boss. I can promise you that you will come out better than covering this up. Even if your honesty costs you this position, you will still have a better leg to stand on in a future job search than if you weren't Good luck.
How do the investigators find it? Please note we are NOT talking about high government clearance jobs or high level jobs. We are talking everyday garden variety jobs.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How do the investigators find it? Please note we are NOT talking about high government clearance jobs or high level jobs. We are talking everyday garden variety jobs.
Even if it were for a job with a clearance they still don't know about your work history unless you tell them. All they do is verify what you've told them by calling previous employers listed on your questionnaire. They don't look at your tax history. They don't look at your bank accounts. They do criminal check, employment verification, education verification and a credit check. That's it.

For a top secret clearance they might look at more information, i.e. bank statements and whatnot, but that is highly doubtful and not applicable here anyway.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,810 times
A background check is much different than a reference check. I think the two might be getting confused.

A reference check is when they call whoever you list to verify dates of employment and ask about your performance. Some states have strict laws about what an employer is and isn't allowed to say. Leaving off someone who fired you as a reference is a good idea.

A background check is where someone or some service is hired to INVESTIGATE you. This can be a cursory check where they verify that you lived in certain places or worked for certain places, or it can be a deep level full on investigation. One of my friends works for the Army and had to have a polygraph, they interviewed me and other friends, neightbors etc. I doubt that is what is happening here.

How do people find out stuff? Easy. They start with the info you provide and dig deeper. Google can work wonders. If you post info on Facebook or join LinkedIn and put your resume out there, people can find it. If something comes up that doesn't make sense, they may ask for an explanation.

Employers DO hire people who admit they were fired. It depends on the circumstances, certainly but its not a deal killer in all cases. I don't know why anyone would bother to lie. If it wasn't a good fit than it just wasn't.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Even if it were for a job with a clearance they still don't know about your work history unless you tell them. All they do is verify what you've told them by calling previous employers listed on your questionnaire. They don't look at your tax history. They don't look at your bank accounts. They do criminal check, employment verification, education verification and a credit check. That's it.

For a top secret clearance they might look at more information, i.e. bank statements and whatnot, but that is highly doubtful and not applicable here anyway.

Not highly doubtful.

Google "SF86" or look at www.opm.gov and find their form library for the SF86 form. This is what initiates the check my friend had. You have to list people who you have known at work, at places you lived, explain gaps in work history and give someone to verify this, list relatives and whether or not they are living or dead, list places you have been out of the country, etc. This is only the beginning. I can tell you that an investigator WILL show up at your door and ask you questions about whoever this check is on if you are one of the people listed.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Not highly doubtful.

Google "SF86" or look at www.opm.gov and find their form library for the SF86 form. This is what initiates the check my friend had. You have to list people who you have known at work, at places you lived, explain gaps in work history and give someone to verify this, list relatives and whether or not they are living or dead, list places you have been out of the country, etc. This is only the beginning. I can tell you that an investigator WILL show up at your door and ask you questions about whoever this check is on if you are one of the people listed.
I didn't say it was highly doubtful that they would check people you know, places you lived, gaps in work history, places you have been out of the country or whether or not someone would show up at your door.

I'm saying they don't typically check bank statements or tax records (things that might show hidden sources of income or unreported jobs) unless there is a flag somewhere.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Loads of good advice here everyone! Thank you!

The company actually uses a third-party vendor to do their background checks - or at least that is what the offer letter stated.

It's been two days and I haven't heard anything yet, so as far as I know, I am still moving to Chicago in two weeks. I'll update of course - whether bad or good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search