Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times

Advertisements

No downside, just someone to add to your network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Your network on Linkedin simply grows one by one. If you know you are going to keep actively seeking work, use your existing connections by viewing more other profiles as you research. For what it is worth, I have connected to people who have interviewed me on Linkedin, even if they don't select me for the position. I try not to take that personally and I connect with most anyone I meet in person (when it is work-related). Depending on your industry and how small it is, you never know if they might be interested in you in the future. Sometimes you just never know.

I do not accept Linkedin invitations from people I do not know at all or do not understand why they would connect with me for "no reason." in their introduction to want to connect. With most recruiters I have connected with, I had known them from previous jobs or had some phone interviews with them.

My industy relies heavily on Linkedin, some others do not. I am not particular about who views my profile or not. You can restrict your profile and so on, but it doesn't make much sense to me to do that as it defeats its purpose. I think being social on social networks, especially for work is a good thing. I don't think I have not blocked anyone in Linkedin yet after being on it a few years already.
Is there even a way to block people on that? I assumed that people with the premium memberships can look at whoever they want and that any "blocking" individuals can do is only on internet searches and random people finding them.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBound? View Post
I did a search in prior threads and I couldn't really find an answer to this. Last week I interviewed with a company that I absolutely loved. It's my dream job. I thought the interview went ok (not my best interview but not bad). I emailed the HR person yesterday thanking them and asking them if they had a time frame. No response. Today I got a request from that same HR person on LinkedIn. I did not request to add her, she proactively added me, yet I still haven't gotten a response from the email?

It seems like a silly question, but is there any downside to accepting her invitation? Should I take it as a positive (because if there is something every job seeker is good at, it's trying to read tea leaves) that she's invited me or is this something that HR managers routinely do?

Thanks!
I am more cautious like caradvice.

But if you do, make sure your experience on LinkedIn matches your resume exactly.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've had that happened to me several times so I'm thinking it's "normal" practice? At any rate, I don't see a downside to accepting that LinkedIn request.
The only problem I see, that I mentioned, is why have a bunch of recruiters link to if you aren't looking for change in employment? They can go through your contacts spam them, use you with no intent of ever contacting you, and damage a relationship you have with people in your network. I had a couple of people dump me, and then when I asked one why since we were friends, and former co-workers that got along, and they said as soon as they added me they were getting spam out of nowhere at that same time frame.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is there even a way to block people on that? I assumed that people with the premium memberships can look at whoever they want and that any "blocking" individuals can do is only on internet searches and random people finding them.
No, not really. What I mean is, you simply remove them from your network. Someone can still "see" your profile that is NOT in your network on Linkedin.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
The only problem I see, that I mentioned, is why have a bunch of recruiters link to if you aren't looking for change in employment? They can go through your contacts spam them, use you with no intent of ever contacting you, and damage a relationship you have with people in your network. I had a couple of people dump me, and then when I asked one why since we were friends, and former co-workers that got along, and they said as soon as they added me they were getting spam out of nowhere at that same time frame.

Hmmm, I didn't know you can email (via LinkedIn) someone else's contacts. At any rate, you can set it so that noone but you can see your contacts list.
It goes both ways ... you can see the HR reps contacts and ask them for an intro.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Hmmm, I didn't know you can email (via LinkedIn) someone else's contacts. At any rate, you can set it so that noone but you can see your contacts list.
It goes both ways ... you can see the HR reps contacts and ask them for an intro.
Clarify.......not e-mail but send a blast message through linkedin or start going through and cherry picking to send invites to people in your network, which is what happened to me. We were both President's Club members from a sales org. and they could not get him to initially accept so they got me under the guise of a job opening and once they had me as a 1st degree connect they ignored me, and just kept trying to persuade him to reconsider. He dumped me after that.

I will look into the setting for not being able to see contacts in my network.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Seems kind of odd to me.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Clarify.......not e-mail but send a blast message through linkedin or start going through and cherry picking to send invites to people in your network, which is what happened to me. We were both President's Club members from a sales org. and they could not get him to initially accept so they got me under the guise of a job opening and once they had me as a 1st degree connect they ignored me, and just kept trying to persuade him to reconsider. He dumped me after that.

I will look into the setting for not being able to see contacts in my network.

Well, they can send Invites to whomever ... they don't need to have access to your network to do so.
There's a setting to make your contacts list viewable to your own contacts.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
seems kind of weird to me for HR to send a linkedin invite.

But it would definitely make me think I'm getting the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search