Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
this is really, really sad.

but at the same time, applicants couldn't know to prepare for an out of left field question like that. should they be paying attention to world events anyway, just as humans living on earth? yeah of course. but i don't see how anyone could anticipate a question like that.
I read the paper every day and know a lot about what's going on overseas, but I'm pretty sure I would freeze up and have a hard time answering if I were asked that. It would just be so unexpected, and I'd be so focused on relevant experience, and nervous on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
that's a good point too.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 AM

67 posts, read 198,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I read the paper every day and know a lot about what's going on overseas, but I'm pretty sure I would freeze up and have a hard time answering if I were asked that. It would just be so unexpected, and I'd be so focused on relevant experience, and nervous on top of that.
That's true. Same with me. I now before going into any kindof interview, think of this. 99% chance it wont come up, but hey, I think knowing what is going on is not a bad thing..

I think if somebody asked right now, I would say the Sweden riots and the recent UK Soldier being killed in London. Even though I have read about it, would I be able to remember it in a snap question? Hopefully something like that out of left field would be eased into in a nice conversation...

Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 AM

427 posts, read 947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's not even so much that they want perfect candidates, more so it's the fact that they want perfect candidates to work for ridiculous wages.
Far from the truth in both cases.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Far from the truth in both cases.
Explain...

(otherwise employers wouldn't be whining about a talent shortage in an era where there's a record number of unemployed skilled workers)

Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
this is really, really sad.

but at the same time, applicants couldn't know to prepare for an out of left field question like that. should they be paying attention to world events anyway, just as humans living on earth? yeah of course. but i don't see how anyone could anticipate a question like that.
What is there to prepare for?

It's a fair question one that I would use because I want someone more advanced than the twitter nation where the sum of all knowledge is packed into 128 characters or whatever twitter has.

The problem we have today is students coming out of both high school and college have a breadth of knowledge 20 miles wide but when you start digging the least bit you are apt to discover the depth of their knowledge is but an inch or two.

I hate to say it but colleges today are putting out to many really stupid, stupid (I said stupid twice on purpose) graduates that really 1)don't know anything and 2)don't have anything in the way of useful skills.

It's the Twitter Nation!

Just to show you how ignorant the Twitter Nation is we often enough see the garbage "but if employers would pay enough...blah, blah" which demonstrates to me the lack of understanding how our free enterprise system works. The employer does not set wage scales those are set by the free market. If someone wants to hire an MBA at $8.56/hr then it is obvious that is all the job is worth to the employer and it also demonstrates a position that really doesn't need to be filled.

I work in a small corner of a niche industry where we can't find people to fill positions. We put out an ad like this one where the job pays between $50 and $80k to receive hundreds of applications with maybe 1 out of 500 meeting the most required qualification.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Just to show you how ignorant the Twitter Nation is we often enough see the garbage "but if employers would pay enough...blah, blah" which demonstrates to me the lack of understanding how our free enterprise system works. The employer does not set wage scales those are set by the free market. If someone wants to hire an MBA at $8.56/hr then it is obvious that is all the job is worth to the employer and it also demonstrates a position that really doesn't need to be filled.
you don't seem to understand how the free market works, actually.

if an employer wants to pay $8 an hour for an MBA, that's their choice, but then they can't complain when they don't find one for that wage.

the point is, if you're paying less than the people with the qualifications you want are willing to take, then you are paying less than market wage. if you want to get those people, you have to raise the wage. or you have to lower your expectations for candidates. you can't have it both ways.

employers DO set wage scales, actually. they decide what they want to pay. but they don't set the market rates, which is where they're running into problems if their wage scale doesn't meet or exceed the market rate for the position.

to put it in simpler terms, for the Typewriter Nation or whatever, if i want to buy a car and my budget is $12000, i can't have a new porsche. if i want a porsche, i have to up my budget. otherwise, i have to buy a used corolla or something. it works the same way with hiring employees.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:

It's a fair question one that I would use because I want someone more advanced than the twitter nation where the sum of all knowledge is packed into 128 characters or whatever twitter has.

The problem we have today is students coming out of both high school and college have a breadth of knowledge 20 miles wide but when you start digging the least bit you are apt to discover the depth of their knowledge is but an inch or two.

I hate to say it but colleges today are putting out to many really stupid, stupid (I said stupid twice on purpose) graduates that really 1)don't know anything and 2)don't have anything in the way of useful skills.

It's the Twitter Nation!

I work in a small corner of a niche industry where we can't find people to fill positions. We put out an ad like this one where the job pays between $50 and $80k to receive hundreds of applications with maybe 1 out of 500 meeting the most required qualification.
Yet again, if you can't people to fill positions, you either...

1. Train people.

2. Bring up the wages to attract the type of candidates you're looking for.

Yet again, it's simple. That's also how the free market works. Otherwise, you're not serious about the job openings you need to fill.

And furthermore, the problem with that ad is it doesn't list the wage. Thus, what many otherwise qualified applicants assume is that you will lowball them and as a result they don't submit their resume.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 AM

427 posts, read 947,919 times
Quote:

It's the Twitter Nation!

Fully agree. Lots of Twitter Nation, reality show addicts with new degrees that have no idea what they want to do.

Fortunately I only need a few strong graduates each year that have a real interest in our business, and have been able to find those needles in the haystack.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 AM

i like how you skip all the posts questioning your points and asking you for examples or clarifcation and just go back to declaring "kids today! no one is qualified to work! just because! twitter twitter twitter! google aol!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search