Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Employers seem to want CPA eligible candidates before they invest in them, meaning people with the 150 credits, or working towards that goal. Did your resume suggest your were working towards being CPA eligible? If not, that would explain the lack of call backs, IMO.
Well he cant use CPA unless he gets experience. They have a exp requirement like the CFA no?

To OP:

Private accounting firms wont accept you so stop applying to those
Most recent grads do 2 years Public Accounting then either stay or switch to private
You must get anything preferably at the Big 4.

Education is good if you have nothing else, but I'm pretty sure you need actual experience to be an official CPA holder. No biggy as the time it takes to find first job is increasing for recent grads. Average is 7 months and noticeably, it has been increasing as years go by. Personally, I would not include the months Jun, July, or August. No one hires in the summer well known fact. Send out your applications, but don't let it be the focused. Right now just study for either the GMAT, CPA, or some other certification test. Send out like 5 resumes every Sat. Believe me when I say this, not all is as it seems and when you get your entry level job you'l know the truth. Getting that first job is just the beginning of the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 PM

382 posts, read 664,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
Hey guys, its kind of ironic but I have been offered a job in AP at a house construction company, it temp to permanet and pays 17.00HR, its great for me and not a bad place to start, I start next Tuesday. I guess they is hope out there. Use your networking contacts that's how I got this job.
That's awesome!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:00 PM

69 posts, read 176,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Well he cant use CPA unless he gets experience. They have a exp requirement like the CFA no?

To OP:

Private accounting firms wont accept you so stop applying to those
Most recent grads do 2 years Public Accounting then either stay or switch to private
You must get anything preferably at the Big 4.

Education is good if you have nothing else, but I'm pretty sure you need actual experience to be an official CPA holder. No biggy as the time it takes to find first job is increasing for recent grads. Average is 7 months and noticeably, it has been increasing as years go by. Personally, I would not include the months Jun, July, or August. No one hires in the summer well known fact. Send out your applications, but don't let it be the focused. Right now just study for either the GMAT, CPA, or some other certification test. Send out like 5 resumes every Sat. Believe me when I say this, not all is as it seems and when you get your entry level job you'l know the truth. Getting that first job is just the beginning of the race.
I would love to get the big 4 firm job. But the big 4 have a (generic) profile ( dressing, appearance and characteristics) of the candidates they hire. They also get tones of applications it's hard to stand out. I am glad i got a job in the finance department of a housing company, but my dream is ito work at a big 4 firm, I just want my resume to have a little more professional work experience. I am still going ahead with my MBA and Cpa exam preparation. And believe me I know this is just the beginning ( the struggle is real)

Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
Its been 7 months since I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Accounting, And I still havent found a job in the field. Its been a very frustrating process because I am not even getting interviews for the positions I have applied for so far. I have been applying to entry level accounting, staff Accounting, Data analysis, Financial Analysis, even AR/AP and clerk positions as-well and I still have no luck.

I decided to switch my approach and I started applying to internships at all the major and minor corporations I could think of in my city and all I have been getting are rejection emails. I have a pretty decent academic record in college 3.33/4.0, however I did not really take part in the accounting organizations at my school partly because I worked part time and also took full time course load.

I have decided to go to graduate school to get my masters and I am also saving up for a CPA prep course so that I could take the exam during my graduate studies. I plan to be more involved with accounting organizations at school once I start grad school and I will try my luck at the school career fairs too.

Finally, I am just going through the phase in life where I feel depression is creeping in because I am grossly underemployed my siblings work within their career fields and I feel like I am wasting away, I know it takes time and I am patiently waiting. If anyone has some advice I could use please help and thanks like always
The actions you are taking are the right ones. I would also seek out a job placement agency even if it means you are working as a "temp" the first 3-6 months before being hired permanent. It helped me land a 10+ year position in 2001 and also my current position. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM

69 posts, read 176,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The actions you are taking are the right ones. I would also seek out a job placement agency even if it means you are working as a "temp" the first 3-6 months before being hired permanent. It helped me land a 10+ year position in 2001 and also my current position. Good luck!
I dont know if you read my later post, but i found a job but thanks for the advice someone might use it.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
You don't want temp, especially nowadays.

They are in cahoots with each other and fact is, once you go temp and its known, that company or any company it's affiliated with will NOT hire you.

If you look at the revenue structure for most temps, it's in their best interest to NOT get you hired xyz blah blah bottom line you use temp as last resort b/c cons outweigh pros.

Not saying success stories don't exist, but lets not kid ourselves. A temp agency is designed to find you temporary work. It gets money from "renting" out workers. They don't try to find you actual jobs since that is how they lose money. See what I did? Moreover, don't think that in this economy your are that valuable. The minute a temp starts poking their nose looking for a perm position, HR labels them as an expense and receives a big fat check for reducing SG&A costs by an extra $100,000+.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:38 PM

51 posts, read 135,833 times
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search