Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Having been blasted on my own thread for wanting someone with good grammar who doesn't write a cover email all in caps, I see your point. While I personally would wonder why I had to do all that by hand, again, and not online, which seems more efficient, I get that the company is looking for a certain kind of person - one that can complete a tedious task meticulously, according to directions. We all have the right to choose a candidate with certain requirements. A lot of people in these threads just don't agree with our requirements in the first place, possibly because some of them know they don't meet them.

I'd be a "see resume" person, for sure. But I'd probably not want to work for a company that doesn't do pretty much everything online anyway.
I think there is some of the "they don't meet the standards" I see this with the entry-level jobs looking for 2/3 years of experience in the least. I don't think that is the issue. The issue is another long an arbitrary way to go through the job search. If the requirements directly relate to penmanship then sure, The OP never posted it so it sounds like it is an arbitrary way to remove candidates. In your post, it was a somewhat debateable way to remove candidates but obviously you will have a fairly small pool of interviews compared to a company who may interview 10 people, you may just do 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
When I write for myself it is basically illegible to others but I can read it fine, I tend to mix cursive and print when I am writing, when I am writing for others to read, I must take my time and write clearly.

When I was growing up, writing in cursive showed others you were educated, in school, it was required after about the third grade, in forth grade(I think) "penmanship" was part of our English class.
This was the case in elementary school. By middle school, it would be accepted in print or script.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
Where I work, we just developed a new Employment Application and had a few people completely fill it out to see how long the typical person would take to completely fill it out. We determined a reasonably efficient person should take no more than 20 minutes to fill it out.

All applicants for employment in our company have to completely fill out an Employment Application in our lobby. We email all applicants and tell them to arrive 30 minutes before the interview to fill out the application and bring all the supporting documents and information they will need to complete the document.

The HR Assistant checks with the applicant 30 minutes after they start filling out the application and usually finds the following:

1) They did not bring the information to supply data on previous bosses and employers and contact information, so they leave it blank or put SEE RESUME.

2) They have made almost no progress on the application at all.

3) Their handwriting is so poor you can not understand what they are saying.

4) They don't remember what they did in past jobs so were unable to write the paragraph description requested about the responsibilities of each job.

In general, many applicants don't pass the first test in the employment process, The Employment Application.
response to #4: Why does an application ask for a description of your job responsibilities when the resume already does that?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
response to #4: Why does an application ask for a description of your job responsibilities when the resume already does that?
I always wanted to know that as well. I still fill out the application when prompted to but I think that creates more work and makes it even more frustrating. I've applied to dozens of Administrative Assistant positions and I was just baffled by what you have to go through just to get an interview.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Unless writing by hand is an essential part of the job, it's not suppose to bar somebody from employment.
Actually it is a communication tool. It has been said that those who do not write so others can read have no desire to communicate. My husband applied for a job that required a handwriting analysis. Your handwriting reveals your strengths and weaknesses in many different ways. It tells how ambitious you are, how honest you are and whether you are overly sensitive, your energy level, your attention to detail, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphoanalysis

Last edited by NCN; 07-03-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
handwriting analysis is used pretty commonly by employers in france.

however, scientific studies don't show that it has any validity.

and i mean, "it has been said"? i hope employers are not making hiring decisions based on "it has been said". it has been said that left-handed people have evil hearts, but i would think (and hope!) that most employers still hire the left-handed!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
handwriting analysis is used pretty commonly by employers in france.

however, scientific studies don't show that it has any validity.

and i mean, "it has been said"? i hope employers are not making hiring decisions based on "it has been said". it has been said that left-handed people have evil hearts, but i would think (and hope!) that most employers still hire the left-handed!

It's called a pseudoscience for a reason, studies fail to show the validity claimed by its supporters. Handwriting tests have no place in a modern workplace, especially a timed test given right before an interview, it's absurd.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM

402 posts, read 745,963 times
After reading all these threads, I have decided to start a niche company, Psychic Recruiting. We will streamline the hiring process and save you money through reduced time to fill and reduction of your HR staff. I will place a recruiter on your staff for a reasonable rate. You can choose from the following levels of support:

Junior PR - Use when you have screened the candidates and have decided on who makes the interview phase. Junior PRs can tell if a candidate will work out after seeing them in person.

Standard PR - Use when you have prescreened resumes and are ready for phone interviews. Standard PRs can tell if a candidate will work out after speaking with them on the phone.

Senior PR - Use prior to screening received resumes. Senior PRs are the best value and can tell if a candidate will work out simply by touching their online application or resume.

Guaranteed success rate of 50% or your money back.

If this works out, I can give up on my magnetic bracelet business that gives you extra balance and energy.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
After reading all these threads, I have decided to start a niche company, Psychic Recruiting. We will streamline the hiring process and save you money through reduced time to fill and reduction of your HR staff. I will place a recruiter on your staff for a reasonable rate. You can choose from the following levels of support:

Junior PR - Use when you have screened the candidates and have decided on who makes the interview phase. Junior PRs can tell if a candidate will work out after seeing them in person.

Standard PR - Use when you have prescreened resumes and are ready for phone interviews. Standard PRs can tell if a candidate will work out after speaking with them on the phone.

Senior PR - Use prior to screening received resumes. Senior PRs are the best value and can tell if a candidate will work out simply by touching their online application or resume.

Guaranteed success rate of 50% or your money back.

If this works out, I can give up on my magnetic bracelet business that gives you extra balance and energy.
I think people already have seen this from some companies. Many currently seem to use the same policy with large roadblocks to being hired such as long applications and the screening tests.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Actually it is a communication tool. It has been said that those who do not write so others can read have no desire to communicate. My husband applied for a job that required a handwriting analysis. Your handwriting reveals your strengths and weaknesses in many different ways. It tells how ambitious you are, how honest you are and whether you are overly sensitive, your energy level, your attention to detail, etc.

Graphology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Graphoanalysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, as I said: "anything to reduce the applicant pool as long as it doesn't involve reading resumes or understanding the job requirements". There's no scientific backing for graphology. It does, admittedly, tell people of a rational mindset to avoid a given employer if possible.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
The first test for employers is to pick up the phone and call people for interviews. But it hasn't happened in 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search