Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM

58 posts, read 95,927 times

Advertisements

I got invited for a interview for a state government agency in Oklahoma. I asked if they could accomadate phone or skype interview since I am out of state and they said only in person. Salary for the position is $35000. it would cost $600 for a round trip plane ride there. then if the interview is passed there is a second in person interview. Do you think it is worth it to pay out of pocket to go to this interview?. They said they have a 'good' applicant pool and I would be considered entry level. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
i wouldn't do it, personally. but it's a really personal choice based on your finances, the feasibility of moving for this job (and whether you want to) and your assessment of your chances. the fact that they said they have a good applicant pool and you'd be considered entry level would make me nervous. it sounds like they might be obligated to interview all qualified applicants (which is common in government) and it's possible that the person you talked to was trying to warn you not to spend the time and money traveling.

usually i think any interview is worth it, for the practice if nothing else, but adding in expensive travel is a big negative.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM

23,548 posts, read 24,057,818 times
I would not. Every time I've traveled for an interview, the company paid for my expenses. They also mentioned that they "have a good applicant pool", so I would pass...

Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Only go if you have $600 that you do not mind losing. A first round of interviews will consist of several people so your chances are relatively slim.

I very much doubt that they would pay relocation expenses for a 35k entry level job.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I would not go if they were not willing to pay my expenses. I have almost always had phone interviews before traveling for an in-person interview (and all of my expenses were paid for travel).

Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 AM

58 posts, read 95,927 times
Thanks I appreciate the replies. The min qualifications for the job was a bachelor's degree with appropriate coursework and no experience requirement, but I am guessing they got people with masters and doctors and years of experience and do not have problem finding locals since skype or phone is not an option. Most government agencies I interviewed with before did skype or phone since I was out of town.
I was leaning towards not going but thinking of asking the HR how many locals to out of town people are being interviewed first. They did say that not everyone who was eligible was invited for interview though

Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 AM

32 posts, read 48,798 times
I would lean towards no, but also say that it depends. What do you make now - is 35K a significant jump? Would the job involve a major increase in responsibility? Do you have a serious desire to live in Oklahoma? Is there any chance they would fly you for the second interview?

If there aren't a lot of yeses to the above questions, then I would skip it.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
What do you have to lose other than $600?

It depends on how much money you have...and whether you really need this job or really want this job.

If $600 won't break the bank and if you really want to move to OK badly or if you really want this job, then you might want to spend the money and go to the interview.

Do you feel you are a very qualified candidate? If so, then I would consider going. How important is that $600 to you?

Will you get to explore OK on the same trip? If you are applying to other jobs in that area, then a visit could come in handy for exploration of the area - such as to see what areas you might want to live.

Job hunting trips are tax deductible if you meet the threshhold.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I've been burned doing that before. I've vowed never to pay significantly for an interview again. If they are not paying your expenses they aren't that interested in you.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM

32 posts, read 48,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
and do not have problem finding locals since skype or phone is not an option. Most government agencies I interviewed with before did skype or phone since I was out of
This has not always been my experience. I've encountered government jobs where you had to appear in person not because they were trying to be discouraging to out of state applicants on purpose, but because their policy involves treating everyone equally and reviewing all applicants on the same level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search