Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

3 things never to say in a job interview:

"Pull My Finger"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 PM

382 posts, read 664,320 times
17. "Give me this job or else!" followed by "I'll be back"
18. "I'm the one for this job"
19. "What does this company do now" after 20 minutes into the interview - instant killer
20. The worst would be not saying anything at all

Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
ohh that makes sense! I always give them what I think I'm worth because I've been paid it before..but I always get low balled. eh...at least these are just part tiem jobs through college. When I start my career in a few months, I hope its different.
Well at least you know what you're worth. Since I am my toughest critic, I would say I'm not worth much at all even if it's something I know I'm good at. I'd rather them just tell me an amount and I'll stick with it. I hope they never ask that question if I ever get an interview again.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:30 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The strangest thing I was ever asked during an interview was during a second's lull in the interviewing process when the young man, completely out of the blue and it having absolutely nothing to do with the position, said, "D'you like football?"

It's rarely I'm stuck for words but it took me a couple of seconds to wrap my head around the question and to which I finally responded, "Um, actually no. Now, getting back to what we were discussing ..." I'll never forget that one!
I bet you offended him and didn't get the job, right?

Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
17. "Give me this job or else!" followed by "I'll be back"
18. "I'm the one for this job"
19. "What does this company do now" after 20 minutes into the interview - instant killer
20. The worst would be not saying anything at all

21. I'm a bit of a goof-off.
22. I take a long time to learn anything.
23. After awhile, little things start to go missing from the office.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
1. I have ADD
2. I hate micro managers
3. Can I work from home

Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
1. I have ADD
AHA! That's why you started with #1 instead of 24.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:14 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
"What does this position typically pay?"

"Yes, that sounds good."

"...but I'm flexible on that."

Anyone guilty of this?

Salary Negotiation No-No's: 3 Things Never to Say in a Job Interview - Yahoo! Finance
There is nothing wrong with discussing pay. In fact, why wouldn't you?

Now, about the salary mentioned is a no no.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
"What does this position typically pay?"

"Yes, that sounds good."

"...but I'm flexible on that."

Anyone guilty of this?

Salary Negotiation No-No's: 3 Things Never to Say in a Job Interview - Yahoo! Finance
Can't tell if the thread's turning into a comedy bit, or still staying on a serious tone. As for me...

I only ask #1 when THEY bring up pay.

Can't recall using #2. Why is this one bad?

#3, I do use that. As far as being lowballed, I figured many companies who were gonna lowball you were gonna do so anyways, regardless of whether or not you use that line.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
That's when you do your research on what the salary range is for the position so you can state a range. And if the number they say is way below the lowest number of your salary range then you end the interview and move on.
Yes, I usually give a range for those companies that don't list the salary for a given position. I usually say something like: "Based on the research I have done for a similar position, and given my experience, I am expecting a salary in the range of $X to $Y."

If I price myself out, which has been the case in recent interviews, it's on them for wasting both of our time. If employers don't like wasting time in the interview process, the first thing they could do is list the salary range for the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search