Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This illuminates the point that you should never stop looking and applying until you have a job offer. You have nothing until you have an offer. Good luck! Oh, and I wouldn't give any reason for wanting to know. Just say that you're really interested in the position and would appreciate knowing some sort of a timeline.
Yep. I am still looking and applying to anything within reason that's in my field. I have to anyway since I'm collecting UE. I really hate not working. Actually, I was in a union (I still am for another month and a half) and when we first heard about the shutdown, they told us how they'd help us find other union jobs, help us with placement, etc. I'm still waiting for a single job referral through that...

Yeah, you're right. I will inquire about the situation without really saying much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM

696 posts, read 907,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestermom View Post
How long do you wait on a possible job offer?

I interviewed for a position the first week of June for a job that I thought I was really well qualified for, after the interview I was told a decision would be made by the first week of July and that they would be calling for second interviews the next week.

Well, the next week comes around and I get a call for the second interview, which was scheduled for a week later. Second interview was with the hiring manager and his boss. The interview lasted over an hour and went really well, discussed teleworking, flex schedule, staffing, expectations, etc.

At this point I thought the process was complete and an offer was pending, oh if life was that simple. Got a call, would you meet with the staff? I offer to come to the office but that was discouraged, hiring manager wanted it to be off site. OK, two weeks later, meet the staff, everything goes well.

Thinking I had made it to the finish line, I email to follow up, "when will you be making a decision, etc? Told, just got back from vacation and need to catch up on a few things and will be out of the office next week, should have a finalized decision in two weeks.

Two weeks pass, get an email saying, appreciated your patience, expect a call from the Director of the agency to discuss the position by the end of the week. Director calls, great conversation, now I am again waiting.

It has been over 7 weeks and I am at the end of my rope.

In between all of this activity, my boss has been called for a reference and now knows I am leaving, which makes work very uncomfortable.

So, am I being strung along or do you see a real offer for me in the future from this company?
The waiting is horrible.

I have not stopped looking, had 2 other interviews, and just got called for a second interview this afternoon.
A colleague of mine was strung along for THIRTEEN MONTHS by a firm with whom he interviewed; he went for 10 onsite interviews with 25+ people with the possibility of an offer always just beyond the horizon. The firm ended up filling the position internally after "reevaluating" the requirement. He was never formally told by the company; her heard about it third hand from a friend who knew someone in the company. I have no idea of knowing what will transpire with your situation and I certainly hope you receive an offer but the longer this drags on, the longer the odds of an offer. I would do whatever you can to repair things with your current employer; perhaps he would consider a raise and or a promotion to retain you. Best of Luck.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
A colleague of mine was strung along for THIRTEEN MONTHS by a firm with whom he interviewed; he went for 10 onsite interviews with 25+ people with the possibility of an offer always just beyond the horizon. The firm ended up filling the position internally after "reevaluating" the requirement. He was never formally told by the company; her heard about it third hand from a friend who knew someone in the company. I have no idea of knowing what will transpire with your situation and I certainly hope you receive an offer but the longer this drags on, the longer the odds of an offer. I would do whatever you can to repair things with your current employer; perhaps he would consider a raise and or a promotion to retain you. Best of Luck.
That is incredibly rude IMO. I think that is the worst I have heard.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM

77 posts, read 133,444 times
"A colleague of mine was strung along for THIRTEEN MONTHS by a firm with whom he interviewed."

WOW!! Please tell us that company so everyone can avoid it like the plague? I believe in due diligence but that is a horrible thing to do to someone.

Hate to be there when karma comes around!!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
"A colleague of mine was strung along for THIRTEEN MONTHS by a firm with whom he interviewed."

WOW!! Please tell us that company so everyone can avoid it like the plague? I believe in due diligence but that is a horrible thing to do to someone.

I doubt every department in that company would operate the same way. Another department with a manager that knows how to move thing quickly, might hire someone in a couple weeks. Big companies have so many departements and so many different processes, that they often act like different companies alltogether.

So I would not hold it against the company for the 13 month situation. It could have been one manager that was holding out for 'the perfect candidate' that didn't really exist.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 PM

696 posts, read 907,023 times
Quote:

It was a back office securities processing firm in Jersey City. My friend interviewed all the way up the chain of command to the "C" level. My friend thinks they used the interview process to pick his brain for free management consulting expertise as some of the interviews delved into a lot of strategic "What if?" scenarios. If that was the case, they were worse than indecisive.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
pick his brain for free management consulting expertise as some of the interviews delved into a lot of strategic "What if?" scenarios.
I have experienced similar. Well Colorado if we hire you how would you prospect, improve our closing ratio, yada yada. I try and strike a balance between answering them and giving away selling ideas I developed over a long career.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Sounds as if you've handled things professionally. In my experience, it IS a red flag when prospective employers abuse their own schedules as bad as this one has, but it's possible they're still interested. Some places require a lot of managers to sign off on a new hire and often executives take vacation at this time of year. It's unfortunate that in an economy where job candidates are so much more common than jobs, many companies have used this an an excuse to be very rude to applicants. I'd keep looking, but make sure you're giving full attention to the job you're currently being paid for.

They've certainly invested a lot in you, so it's unlikely they're going to abandon you. But I have completed salary negotiations and had start dates and still had the job go south, so it IS possible. Sometimes something happens and the job opening itself disappears. It's not you. Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
The gov't is s'posed to notified the non-selected before the selected so no news is good news! I just did an online video interview. They plan to hold a second round. I have so many applications out there. The job I have now I didn't even interview for. Crazy! Never throw in the towel!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
How long do you wait on a possible job offer?

I interviewed for a position the first week of June for a job that I thought I was really well qualified for, after the interview I was told a decision would be made by the first week of July and that they would be calling for second interviews the next week.

Well, the next week comes around and I get a call for the second interview, which was scheduled for a week later. Second interview was with the hiring manager and his boss. The interview lasted over an hour and went really well, discussed teleworking, flex schedule, staffing, expectations, etc.

At this point I thought the process was complete and an offer was pending, oh if life was that simple. Got a call, would you meet with the staff? I offer to come to the office but that was discouraged, hiring manager wanted it to be off site. OK, two weeks later, meet the staff, everything goes well.

Thinking I had made it to the finish line, I email to follow up, "when will you be making a decision, etc? Told, just got back from vacation and need to catch up on a few things and will be out of the office next week, should have a finalized decision in two weeks.

Two weeks pass, get an email saying, appreciated your patience, expect a call from the Director of the agency to discuss the position by the end of the week. Director calls, great conversation, now I am again waiting.

It has been over 7 weeks and I am at the end of my rope.

In between all of this activity, my boss has been called for a reference and now knows I am leaving, which makes work very uncomfortable.

So, am I being strung along or do you see a real offer for me in the future from this company?
The waiting is horrible.

I have not stopped looking, had 2 other interviews, and just got called for a second interview this afternoon.
Sounds very positive. In my experience, for senior level positions, what you're experiencing is not uncommon.

But don't stop any other interviews, negotiations, etc.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search