Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times

Advertisements

As an owner of a small painting company, I've never conducted formal job interviews and my stated expectation for what to wear for work is basic painter duds: Painters' whites (pants or shorts), closed-toe shoes, and a generally neat appearance. Which is sort of relative, given the nature of the work.

Had one guy show up on his first day of work - we were painting a nursing home and he knew this ahead of time - and he was wearing a tee-shirt with a four-letter-word beginning with "S" printed on it. I sent him straight home to change his shirt and never saw him again, LOL.

I've also had to talk with painters about shirts with marijuana leaf designs printed on them, baggy whites that show "plumbers' crack" and one unfortunate guy who appeared unable to keep his ear wax under control and generally smelled funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if they think the boss has a stripper pole in the office
Lol No we were very conservative and proper. It was a reference to a TV show where the guy swiped his credit card in his "Sugar Momma" cleavage. I think it was called Will something? I am drawing a blank!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:59 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Will and Grace

Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Yeah, but to a job interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
ccm-that's more common that you think. My wife does software testing and some of the PM's don't use deodorant or take a shower every day.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

I've also had to talk with painters about shirts with marijuana leaf designs printed on them, baggy whites that show "plumbers' crack" and one unfortunate guy who appeared unable to keep his ear wax under control and generally smelled funny.

Sometimes it makes you wonder if their parents ever taught them what "proper attire" meant and what are the conditions for it. It begins(or should) at age six in first grade, maybe before.

I have ALWAYS worn attire appropriate for the job when applying AND interviewing(could be a reason why I was hired or offered a position for almost every place), how hard is it for some.

WE have had temps sent home or had to borrow smocks because they were improperly dressed, they KNEW what the job was before they left the agency(they went to the agency like that) - it is a factory, although YOUR job will be relatively clean, the shop and parts are NOT(or may not be), yeah sure it isn't a lot of money but their couldn't much easier job.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.
Bit of a difference between clean and appropriate clothing and some basic grooming and what the OP described, wouldn't you say?
Not to mention simply choosing appropriate attire for the job or interview. Again refer to the OP and some of the follow-up posts.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Bit of a difference between clean and appropriate clothing and some basic grooming and what the OP described, wouldn't you say?
Not to mention simply choosing appropriate attire for the job or interview. Again refer to the OP and some of the follow-up posts.
Again, maybe they didn't or don't have the money to purchase proper clothing?

Maybe in their minds they ARE doing the "best" they can.

There are thousands of people that were never taught proper job attire or etiquette.

Be VERY thankful that you WERE and can AFFORD to purchase decent attire is all I'm saying.

There is such a thing as an "ivory tower" which many seem to live in, especially on the internet, because they're lives are so "perfect".

Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I was looking for a lunch cook, someone to basically turn out sandwiches, burgers and suchlike. This woman came in to fill out an application. She was very nicely dressed, her hair was nicely styled, she was clean and fresh and I had her sit down at the bar to fill out the application while I continued to prep for opening.

She seemed to be having a problem writing and I realized why when I saw that her fingernails were not only incredibly brightly festooned in a myriad of colors but each and every one was at least an inch long. As I was mulling over how on earth she was going to flip burgers and make sandwiches with those incredible talons, she started "honking". You know, that dreadful intake of air through the nostrils which sets up a big loud snorty rumble which goes down into the throat and which usually precedes a big gob of nasty being spat out? (I know, put your snack to one side.) She didn't do it just once, it was a once every minute honking and I had to stop prepping food as I was feeling very nauseous after even the first one.

The time it took her to fill out the simple application seemed interminable ...

Not really about attire but in the same vein. I didn't hire her but I did call her and thank her for applying.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Oh crikey, now I've read marilyn220's two posts I'm waiting for a tongue-lashing on how I should have overlooked the nails and the honking because the lady was doing the best she could or knew how and I need to get out of my ivory tower and hire those less fortunate than I ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search