Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
Try for something else then that shrinks the pool of available applicants. Here's an analogy for you, If there are many people at the lobby trying to get served and you know for a fact that there is a faster/higher chance of getting served if you go on the 2nd floor because of less applicants, why would you still stay on the first floor where you have the opportunity of going up to the second floor. In this case, do something which makes yourself more marketable to the world.
An issue I've noticed is that many people are in between levels. Say they are skill wise above being a cashier but not enough to be say retail assistant manager and the lead positions are filled at this location. Add in the axiom of "they will leave when they have experience" and these people can't find work because on one level they are under-qualified but on the below level they are over-qualified. There are a number of cases of these posted on C-D.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I'm sure some homeless have been able to find jobs but not all. Many times people make the mistake of trying to debunk or prove their point by using examples from the past (like when the economy was good). Homeless + no permanent address = No Hire to employers.

Like a 70 year old man telling a kid "when I was your age I got a job by doing this". Well guess what grandpa, the world has CHANGED.
When I lived in the city, the grocery store I would go to had a "security guard". It was just a homeless guy in a coat that said "security". Either way, if he can do it, so can you. Actually... No you can't. You won't even try. Making excuses is so much easier.

So you're right. There's no way for you to secure employment. None what so ever. Enjoy your internet pity party, except, you're the only one at the party now.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,072,039 times
Quote:
I'm sure some homeless have been able to find jobs but not all. Many times people make the mistake of trying to debunk or prove their point by using examples from the past (like when the economy was good). Homeless + no permanent address = No Hire to employers.

Like a 70 year old man telling a kid "when I was your age I got a job by doing this". Well guess what grandpa, the world has CHANGED.
No, no it hasn't.
Go to home depot at 5:30 in the morning in jeans and work gloves.

Then tell me there is no work

Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
No, no it hasn't.
Go to home depot at 5:30 in the morning in jeans and work gloves.

Then tell me there is no work
Technically, yes... but how much do illegals make these days, because that's what you're looking at there...

Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,072,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Technically, yes... but how much do illegals make these days, because that's what you're looking at there...
Not technically. It is a job and that's what the OP was talking about.
If you are going to throw other straw men in, then we need a new thread.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
More than parried will ever make with his attitude.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Realize that, for the jobs you are seeking, a GED gives you a leg up on everyone else.

Take off the stupid tin foil hat, quit the pity party and accept the fact that you're going to have to give up ALL of your assumptions to make anything of yourself. Your preconceived notions are holding you back.
To illegals and complete dropouts it gives me a leg up. But not much else.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
Quote:
To illegals and complete dropouts it gives me a leg up. But not much else.
But then people realize how hard most illegals work and that GED doesn't make much of a difference.

I would pick an illegal for almost any manual labor job over like 80% of americans (myself included)

Parried why dont you apply for some roofing jobs or lawn care? I used to pass out fliers to neighbors and mow their lawns/rake leaves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
But then people realize how hard most illegals work and that GED doesn't make much of a difference.

I would pick an illegal for almost any manual labor job over like 80% of americans (myself included)

Parried why dont you apply for some roofing jobs or lawn care? I used to pass out fliers to neighbors and mow their lawns/rake leaves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
The comical thing is that far earlier in this thread (or another - can't keep track of all his threads on the same fake issue) he claimed no jobs would hire without experience and provide training. In the CL link he posted, there was a lawn job that specifically stated "no experience necessary - will train". He didn't apply for that one either. It's a fake story.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:12 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,556 times
I'm perplexed why people still try to give this person options. He doesn't want help or options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search