Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
But then people realize how hard most illegals work and that GED doesn't make much of a difference.

I would pick an illegal for almost any manual labor job over like 80% of americans (myself included)

Parried why dont you apply for some roofing jobs or lawn care? I used to pass out fliers to neighbors and mow their lawns/rake leaves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
I would if I seen any, I seen a few over the summer every month or 2, but they all had the code words like "must have prior experience" etc.... + a car (which I don't have right now). I even keep seeing some cleaning position posted, but it says must have commercial cleaning experience, whatever that is. Without a car, I am stuck applying to local jobs or where ever the bus goes, and because of this, there doesn't seem to be much to apply for, and I'm not hip on the whole "job hunting" game. Like I see ads that don't provide an address or location, and no BBB listing.

These listings I look at just want you to apply, and no further contact. How is anybody supposed to get a job if the only thing to do is apply and that's it?

RDH35 you've got to be out of your mind, saying I don't want help. I'm talking to you people. I'm conversing with you. If I didn't want help I wouldn't be on this forum, hello?

You guys just seem to keep blaming me for what employers are doing. Perhaps you should be asking them why things have to be so complicated.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM

If I had a car right now, and the money to pay off a years worth of insurance (it will go down after the 1st year because I'm a new driver), then I would be able to apply to all the stuff I want to apply for (there's alot of promising job listings that require me to have a vehicle), otherwise I can't apply to them (in my current position). I have the money for a car, but not to pay off the insurance.

I don't mind taking buses, but by doing it this way I will be:

1. Limited to where I can apply (if the bus doesn't go there or near there, it's not possible)
2. The hours I can work will be LIMITED, per whatever times the buses run.

These aren't excuses. I am not saying I won't do one thing or the other. I am not saying I won't apply for anything. I am telling you what my limitations are. I am analyzing the situation.

Hopefully at least one person on this forum understands what I am saying.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I would if I seen any, I seen a few over the summer every month or 2, but they all had the code words like "must have prior experience" etc.... + a car (which I don't have right now). I even keep seeing some cleaning position posted, but it says must have commercial cleaning experience, whatever that is. Without a car, I am stuck applying to local jobs or where ever the bus goes, and because of this, there doesn't seem to be much to apply for, and I'm not hip on the whole "job hunting" game. Like I see ads that don't provide an address or location, and no BBB listing.

These listings I look at just want you to apply, and no further contact. How is anybody supposed to get a job if the only thing to do is apply and that's it?

RDH35 you've got to be out of your mind, saying I don't want help. I'm talking to you people. I'm conversing with you. If I didn't want help I wouldn't be on this forum, hello?

You guys just seem to keep blaming me for what employers are doing. Perhaps you should be asking them why things have to be so complicated.
I'm not out of my mind. Are your legs broken? You can't walk to where you need to go? What other help do you think you are going to get on a forum outside of what you've already been given, which is sound advice, btw? Are you waiting for some magical forum poster to swoop in and grant you a job?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
But, besides randomly applying online, what have you actually DONE.

We've been throwing ideas at you for months, I actually gave you things to go DO, and you have yet to say you've DONE anything.

You're just forum entertainment at this point. I don't think you're all that interested in getting a job or having us help or you would be giving us facts of your day and what you have DONE.

Besides post on CD and apply online.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:41 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
No, we all understand. You act like you're the only one with any hurdles, and you treat those hurdles as another reason to sit at home and whine on the internet. If you were actually looking for work you would have already found these:

PT Driver / Light Janitorial Immediate Opening

TAX PREPARERS- WE WILL TRAIN!

Cleaner Needed

Pizzeria Now Hiring

Production Assistant

LAWN TECHNICIAN

Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Some of those I have seen, and I'm keeping in mind.

Cleaner Needed

I know where this place is. It's in the industrial park off the highway. No bus goes there and walking on the highway is a crime.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/csr/4113762468.html

This one sounds like a scam actually. So I have to pay $99 for Tax books, and then I might get a seasonal position. No thanks. I guess they are right when they say it costs money to get (not have) a job.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Some of those I have seen, and I'm keeping in mind.

Cleaner Needed

I know where this place is. It's in the industrial park off the highway. No bus goes there and walking on the highway is a crime.

TAX PREPARERS- WE WILL TRAIN!

This one sounds like a scam actually. So I have to pay $99 for Tax books, and then I might get a seasonal position. No thanks. I guess they are right when they say it costs money to get (not have) a job.
So how about the others? Couldn't find an excuse for those?

Oh - and if you think paying $99 for training to get a seasonal tax preparer job (which are ALWAYS in need) is a "scam", you're even more desperate to find ways not too work than I thought. Yes, initially it might be a seasonal job (Late Dec/Early Jan to Late April), but if you can't see how that could springboard further employment there's just flat out no hope for you.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Excuse, coworkers often car pool and will pick you up at your door, or a place you can bike to.

Excuse 2: books are for education, just because you may not get a seasonal for that company it does not mean you won't get hired by another with the education gained. No books that you can keep are usually not free, welcome to the world. It can cost money to educate yourself, getting the job depends on how well your learn.

As I sit here studying for another license for a career I may never have, to the tune of $600.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Those other ones I'd be happy to try for if I had a way to get to them. It doesn't matter what you learn or know, you need the piece of paper to prove it.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Bus as close as you can get, then walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search