Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You give employers too much benefit of the doubt. I've seen many ads that say "must have reliable vehicle". Last time I check a vehicle is a car or truck. Not city buses or trains. Some employers do care.
Public transit is a reliable vehicle for us. So is a bike. Try the pawn shops. You can normally pick up a quality bike there for $50.

As for your applications... are you leaving questions blank? Do you have big work history gaps? Are you saying that you do not have transportation? You might be doing something inherently wrong on your apps. Get some help with them.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I am on the hiring end. That is where my experience comes from.
(And incidentally, from the hiring end, seeing 15 jobs in 6 years is strongly perceived as meaning you know nothing about getting a job.)
OH yes the vaunted HR, personally I would like to know how having 15 jobs in 6 years means knowing nothing about getting a job? Keeping a job I could see, but the longest I have ever went without a job is 1 week, despite multiple layoffs, being forced to choose between being in the hospital with my child or keeping my job 3 times, but of course I only went through an HR department a total of 2 times throughout it, otherwise I spoke with company owners and/or management and did not give HR the opportunity to decide who is qualified for a job they do not even understand.

By the way I kept 1 of those jobs for 5 of those years, despite taking a huge paycut at the start to develop a new skill, but I learned a skill that is paying off very well. Unfortunately that required making sacrifices and working 1 or 2 other jobs at the same time while also attending school, but see that is something most people cannot even grasp the concept of accomplishing.

One last thing, I am eligible for rehire at all but 2 of those 15 places, and those 2 I would be if I would promise to ignore my daughters medical problems.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Actually parried lives in a town that has 3 bus lines as far as I can easily see, and you can take a bicycle on board, space permitting.

He might have to leave early for work, it might be inconvenient, but it is possible.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You've already proven this statement false through your own inaction.
When it comes down to it if I'm told to my face I'm not being hired so be it.

Quote:
Did I say it mattered how he got to work? I said it mattered that his way was stable. My main workplace has a light rail stop a block away. The majority of our employees take transit to work. That is definitely stable transit. Parried lives in a location with poor transit access and does not have insurance to drive from what I have been able to figure out. That is unstable transportation.
It's not exactly poor transit access, but as far as the train goes it's just too expensive for me. The buses are manageable but again I'm limited to where it goes.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Well we all have to work within our limitations.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
OH yes the vaunted HR, personally I would like to know how having 15 jobs in 6 years means knowing nothing about getting a job? Keeping a job I could see....
No, not HR. Technical interviewer and sometimes hiring manager.

Having that many jobs in that little time seems to indicate that you choosing are jobs that are an extremely poor fit for you. That is critical knowledge in job hunting; probably the most critical knowledge for an employee. Medical leave conflicts, paycuts from job to job, working multiple jobs for financial reasons, all of those are signs that you are allowing your job hunt to be one way. I am pretty confident that I could go out tomorrow and land a dozen different low wage jobs with some huge pay cuts. Doing so would not make me a very poor job hunter.
As a small example, a bridge job to learn a new skill may be lower pay relative to normal pay for that skill set, but should almost always be a pay increase relative to what you get paid for your current skill set. (An exception would be a formal 3 month or less training wage or maybe a 6 month probationary wage, but as soon as you clear training or probation, you should be earning more than you were going into the job. Another would be a situation where you are earning equity in lieu of wages.)

Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's not exactly poor transit access, but as far as the train goes it's just too expensive for me. The buses are manageable but again I'm limited to where it goes.
Pawn shop bike. And don't even talk about that on a job application. If you want to discuss your transportation situation, at least get to an interview first.
(And really, I would want until you are discussing your job offer to bring it up.)

Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
OH yes the vaunted HR, personally I would like to know how having 15 jobs in 6 years means knowing nothing about getting a job? Keeping a job I could see, but the longest I have ever went without a job is 1 week, despite multiple layoffs, being forced to choose between being in the hospital with my child or keeping my job 3 times, but of course I only went through an HR department a total of 2 times throughout it, otherwise I spoke with company owners and/or management and did not give HR the opportunity to decide who is qualified for a job they do not even understand.

By the way I kept 1 of those jobs for 5 of those years, despite taking a huge paycut at the start to develop a new skill, but I learned a skill that is paying off very well. Unfortunately that required making sacrifices and working 1 or 2 other jobs at the same time while also attending school, but see that is something most people cannot even grasp the concept of accomplishing.

One last thing, I am eligible for rehire at all but 2 of those 15 places, and those 2 I would be if I would promise to ignore my daughters medical problems.
That's a pretty bad track record of finding jobs that are compatible with you or pay well. In 2008, my employer went bust. I went from $12/hr to $50k/yr in the next job. After 3.5 years, the employer was sold. The next job gave me a $20k raise. Now, I am making over $80k.

That's only 2 job changes for a $60k raise. It's important to find a compatible job.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:28 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
No, not HR. Technical interviewer and sometimes hiring manager.

Having that many jobs in that little time seems to indicate that you choosing are jobs that are an extremely poor fit for you. That is critical knowledge in job hunting; probably the most critical knowledge for an employee. Medical leave conflicts, paycuts from job to job, working multiple jobs for financial reasons, all of those are signs that you are allowing your job hunt to be one way. I am pretty confident that I could go out tomorrow and land a dozen different low wage jobs with some huge pay cuts. Doing so would not make me a very poor job hunter.
As a small example, a bridge job to learn a new skill may be lower pay relative to normal pay for that skill set, but should almost always be a pay increase relative to what you get paid for your current skill set. (An exception would be a formal 3 month or less training wage or maybe a 6 month probationary wage, but as soon as you clear training or probation, you should be earning more than you were going into the job. Another would be a situation where you are earning equity in lieu of wages.)
Let me try this again, as you do not seem to be grasping the concept of what I did.

Also a formal training process in the corporate world does not work like what I did, as what I did does not exist in the corporate world.

I found out one of top accountants in the state, that has numerous other CPAs from the are calling her for advice, and referring their most difficult tax problems to her for her to handle for them, was hiring for a data entry person for her company. In 7 years of knowing about her and 5 years of knowing her and working with some of her clients, this was the 1st time I had ever heard of her having an opening. Now to explain the situation she has not taken on a new client in 10 years that did not come either through her already handling their parents returns, or a referral from another accountant. Prior to hiring me the previous 2 ladies that had been in my position had worked there for 5 years, each while attending college, and both had been forced to leave for different reasons. She runs a very organized but lean company, and only has 5 employees at most during tax season, and usually a total of 2 during the offseason. To work for her and learn from her I consciously chose to take a data entry job paying $10 an hour despite having made 6 figures the prior year.

But to fully understand why I did you have to understand the whole back story. In my 20s I opened up a mortgage company, which I built to have over 20 employees/contractors, I worked hard and worked my way up. However the money I made was spent on venture capital funding and investment properties. High risk very high reward type stuff.

while I owned my mortgage company I came up with a plan that one day I would own a company that helped people with all their financial services, including investment advising, life insurance, accounting & taxes, and of course mortgages.

Then the mortgage collapse came which in the area I worked really started in 2006, while I was able to sale my mortgage company and pay off much of the debt while selling all my assets, I was left broke and had no job prospects. You see all these corporations that had tried for years to hire me, buy me out, and everything else, no longer remembered me. Some so called friends and family had the nerve to say that all mortgage brokers were terrible people. AS the fallout worsened throughout the next 2 years I could not even get an interview with companies where I fit perfectly into their job description, even worse I was told flat out by some managers at large companies that they were not even allowed to interview ex mortgage brokers, as most of them were criminals. (Funny I was audited and investigated and found to have never committed any kind of fraud but that is a different story).

So I decided I had enough of the sales business, and would have to start over. I started back to school, and went and talked to what became my primary job for 5 years, and convinced her to hire me despite her never having employed a male in her office, not to mention reservations about hiring someone who had been an owner of a company with close to a million in revenue just a year prior.

To take that job I needed more income as I have a wife and 2 kids, so I got a job working weekends for another company, and went to school at nights.

Come the end of tax season, her need for me was very limited so I would only work a few hours a month, so I would take other jobs, and give them a try. Some knew what I was doing others did not. So let me give you some examples,

I had heard about the Xerox training program for their sales people, and with a long history in sales and wanting to know more about sales, I went to work for Xerox in my area, and went through their training program. Unfortunately 3 months into it my daughter went into the hospital for 6 weeks and the manager decided that they had to replace me as I was not working my full 40 hours a week and they needed someone in my territory.

I also went to work as a contract sales agent for a small insurance broker (now remember it was a part of my plan), went and got my license while also going to school and working full time at the accounting firm during tax season. Once again unfortunately I got sick, I was diagnosed with leukemia due to a horrible reaction to gout medicine that I was on, and was not allowed to leave my house for 5 weeks while I was recovering and more blood work was done to ensure that I did not have leukemia, so due to lack of production in a month I was considered an expired contract. So I went to work for a large international Insurance company, where I stayed for 1 1/2 years before deciding I really did not want to stay in insurance or full time sales as they were wanting me to do.

I went to work for a small landscaping supply store knowing full well that it was a 6 month job at most, after that job was done I worked at a call center waiting for tax season to roll back around.

Due to my experience at the landscaping supply store, I got a job working for a company in the oil field (the 1 and only time I deviated from my plan). The idea was I was tired of sales, and tired of struggling and had grown up around the oil field, and knew you can easily make $80k a year. Unfortunately the job required traveling 5 hours away 2-3 weeks then back home for 1 or 2 weeks. Things went well, until my daughter ended up back in the hospital, when that happened and i did not report for my 330 am call time I was let go. However a couple of weeks later upper management called and gave me my job back, so I went back out there for another 2 months. Then the state laws in Colorado changed and there was no longer much drilling going on, so I had the choice take a transfer to North dakota or take a layoff. I choose the layoff, as tax season was coming back around and so I went back to my path.

I also took a job during harvest for farmers, they needed a driver with a CDL, and I had one, and was tired of working in a call center, so I took the job knowing full well I would be laid off in Oct, but that come October I would be able to get a temp job in retail.

So in other words I purposely took a job paying next to nothing knowing that was the deal (and using that time to learn from one of the best in that line of work) ahead of time, I also stayed in sales throughout most of it whether mortgages or insurance part time to earn extra money, and I worked labor or temporary jobs when I needed the extra money or had the extra time.

now I could go through the rest of the jobs but it is 4 am here and I need to go to bed.

So you may think I am a terrible job hunter, others have called me diabolical, but I never intended to keep a job, I used my jobs the same way they used me, as a means to an end. So while you may never consider a low wage job to be a smart move, today it is paying off very well.

Today I have built an accounting firm over the last 3 years that is now grossing $300K a year, I also do residential and commercial mortgages where I am starting the transition to go from contracting with another firm to owning my own firm. I have sense decided that I do not want to do insurance or financial advising, as I have set up a contract with another firm that as long as I keep my license and my clients know the full details of the transaction then I can receive half of the commission without having to actually do anything but make an introduction.

AS I said it is very late tonight, so hopefully you can decipher it, whether you can understand it is another story, as 7 years ago I decided on what I was going to do, and went through 5+ years of hell to do it, but it is coming together now.

So to get this post back on topic, yes I have had over 15 jobs in the last few years, yes I know how to get a job. Which if I remember correctly was the whole point of this discussion, not about a career type job but any job, but how to get a job right now. As I said in a previous post the longest I went without a job was 1 week, you want a job I can tell you how to get a job tomorrow, you want a career, I may be able to help you or may not, it depends on the industry.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:27 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
I'm on a totally different level then you though. All I have is a GED diploma, at least for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search