Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM

618 posts, read 938,660 times

Advertisements

I have solid coworker references, however I can not get a supervisory reference because my past employers have a strict policy of supervisors not giving out references for possible litigation reasons. They pass any requests to HR. Is that going to be a problem for me? How common is it for employers to ask for supervisory references. A couple employment agencies have refused to work with me because of their requirement but the majority either did not do a reference check or were happy with co-worker. I have not gotten an offer yet, so I do not know how a potential employer will react.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 AM

119 posts, read 410,304 times
It's strange, now that you mention it. When I started my job, we needed direct-supervision references. Which the company I was applying for itself did not provide for its employees. Figures.

I don't think it works against you. You are free to pick and choose who will represent you, and ERs are aware that some ERs will not want to provide direct-supervisor phone references. Have you tried getting a paper copy of the reference? Something written either by you or your supervisor, sent to HR to be OK'ed, then signed by the supervisor?

I don't understand the part about employment agencies refusing to work because of their requirement (what requirement?), but I don't thin anyone can mandate which references you should provide. Though ERs may wonder why you don't put in a manager or supervisor, when asked, you can explain their policies and who they are allowed to contact instead (remember you can put that HR dept as a reference too, if you get the name of a contact there).

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM

618 posts, read 938,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCelestina View Post
It's strange, now that you mention it. When I started my job, we needed direct-supervision references. Which the company I was applying for itself did not provide for its employees. Figures.

I don't think it works against you. You are free to pick and choose who will represent you, and ERs are aware that some ERs will not want to provide direct-supervisor phone references. Have you tried getting a paper copy of the reference? Something written either by you or your supervisor, sent to HR to be OK'ed, then signed by the supervisor?

I don't understand the part about employment agencies refusing to work because of their requirement (what requirement?), but I don't thin anyone can mandate which references you should provide. Though ERs may wonder why you don't put in a manager or supervisor, when asked, you can explain their policies and who they are allowed to contact instead (remember you can put that HR dept as a reference too, if you get the name of a contact there).
The agencies said basically they were using the supervisory references as a marketing tool. Basically, they will call the references once when I register, and then when they pass my info to clients, they will say in the profile that 2-3 of my supervisor said great things about me.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,632 times
More like a marketing tool the other way, so they have people to try and sell their "service" to.

Staffing agencies are ridiculous about stuff like this. Most larger companies are aware that many companies prohibit references. Should be a non-issue.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:20 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I have solid coworker references, however I can not get a supervisory reference because my past employers have a strict policy of supervisors not giving out references for possible litigation reasons. They pass any requests to HR. Is that going to be a problem for me? How common is it for employers to ask for supervisory references. A couple employment agencies have refused to work with me because of their requirement but the majority either did not do a reference check or were happy with co-worker. I have not gotten an offer yet, so I do not know how a potential employer will react.
I just had a job offer and the place requested five references. Since I had three jobs in the past five years, I was required to have three references from anyone in a supervisory position, so it didn't have to be from a direct supervisor---could have been a manager, director, etc. (And all of these references were done via e-mail.) The rest could be from co-workers. I'm in the health care field but I have always been asked for supervisory references. I can't see that it would hurt you that much, since it's not really your fault that you can't use supervisory references---what are you supposed to do about that?

My husband is in another field and they seem to not care as much. (Copywriting/Marketing) Most applications will ask who your supervisor is/was but he didn't need to put them down as a reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search