Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,646 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a job (yay!) and they asked if I can start about two weeks from now. I said I needed to talk to my current employer about my notice but it shouldn't be a problem. They sent me the offer letter but also a form to fill out for my background check. But shouldn't I submit my two weeks after the background check is complete? I don't have a criminal record and I have good credit, but I thought this was typically the protocol.

I already filled out and sent the forms back to them but haven't submitted my two weeks at my current place yet. Should I ask for a later start date?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:43 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I was recently offered a job (yay!) and they asked if I can start about two weeks from now. I said I needed to talk to my current employer about my notice but it shouldn't be a problem. They sent me the offer letter but also a form to fill out for my background check. But shouldn't I submit my two weeks after the background check is complete? I don't have a criminal record and I have good credit, but I thought this was typically the protocol.

I already filled out and sent the forms back to them but haven't submitted my two weeks at my current place yet. Should I ask for a later start date?
Yes, I think you should.

Normally, I would say to hell with it and take the chance, but what "if" something doesn't check out or what you consider "good" credit, isn't to them?

Unfortunately, I've been reading a bunch of stories like yours on the internet. Company offers job, employee gives notice, company rescinds job due to something they didn't like on the background or credit check, employee doesn't get job, employee tries to rescind notice, but it's too late. Employer knows employee wants to leave and if they truly wanted you to stay, they would have counter-offered.

You should ask them to run the background check FIRST to make sure everything is in order BEFORE handing in notice for your current position.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Yep. Wait for it to clear (should be 5 days max), then give a shorter notice period.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I would wait for the background check to clear.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Wait for it to clear, definitely. Things can pop on a report that are not even accurate sometimes and you don't want to be on you last 2 weeks with the new offer delayed. Or rescinded. Make sure the road is clear ahead.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yes, I think you should.

Normally, I would say to hell with it and take the chance, but what "if" something doesn't check out or what you consider "good" credit, isn't to them?

Unfortunately, I've been reading a bunch of stories like yours on the internet. Company offers job, employee gives notice, company rescinds job due to something they didn't like on the background or credit check, employee doesn't get job, employee tries to rescind notice, but it's too late. Employer knows employee wants to leave and if they truly wanted you to stay, they would have counter-offered.

You should ask them to run the background check FIRST to make sure everything is in order BEFORE handing in notice for your current position.
I've read about them too but I've also lived it. In my case the place I was leaving didn't want me to leave and hadn't done anything to replace me so I lucked out but not everyone does. Wait till it comes back unless you can afford to live without a paycheck!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,040 times
Do not quit your current job until they have completed the background check and put it in writing that you cleared the background check.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM

618 posts, read 938,763 times
I actually accepted a job and they wanted me to give notice before I cleared the background check. I said no way!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM

618 posts, read 938,763 times
I'm puzzled why did they give your start date so early? They should be professional and give you a date after the background check.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 54,186 times
I wouldn't even think about notice until you have a formal letter of employment offer, with start date and no matters pending to obstruct such. If its a decent company, your new employer would adjust the start date to two weeks or what is appropriate from the date of acceptance. If current emp. says don't let the door hit ya on the way out, enjoy the time off even if you can't afford it. Find a way to afford. It should pay in the long run because it doesn't look professional to renegotiate the start date based on your financial need unless it's prevalent in the industry. Sorry, but that's the reality; and congrats by the way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search