Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 93,300 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a new job. My current one is not bad by any means... I like my coworkers, do good work, am well-respected, etc. But for a few reasons I've been looking for a new position the last few months.

One of the interviews I went on was fantastic - exactly the field and role I was looking for. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the one I want to go with, so I was very excited when I received the offer recently.

I'm going to give my current employer two-weeks notice. The offer from the new job indicated that it was contingent upon a background check - criminal history, education and employment verification, the usual. I signed the background check consent form and sent it back. I've never committed a crime or anything else so I'm not really worried about the background check, but I've still read stories of companies withdrawing an offer at this stage because they decided to go with another candidate, or even with no explanation given.

So, my question... how does this work with regard to my current employer being contacted? I know that only the company doing the background check can answer that with 100% certainly, but what's your experience?

The issue is that I don't want my current employer to know that I'm looking until I tell them. Otherwise, it would jeopardize my future there. But how are they going to do the background check (the description of which includes educational and employment history) without contacting them? I don't want to lose my current job before I have something else confirmed. They've given me an offer, but as I'd said, it's contingent upon the background check.

Thank you in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
No way around it. You have done what you need to and have gotten the job offer. You can't expect a company to not verify employment.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
[quote=Adrian Genmel;31517332

The issue is that I don't want my current employer to know that I'm looking until I tell them. Otherwise, it would jeopardize my future there. But how are they going to do the background check (the description of which includes educational and employment history) without contacting them? I don't want to lose my current job before I have something else confirmed. They've given me an offer, but as I'd said, it's contingent upon the background check.

Thank you in advance for the advice.[/quote]

A simple credit check would usually list your current employer.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 93,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
No way around it. You have done what you need to and have gotten the job offer. You can't expect a company to not verify employment.
Really? So in this situation, everyone just says "well, I guess I'll put my current position in peril and hope that they'll continue with this one." That seems very reckless.

I'm happy to provide employer contact as a last step, but only once the position is contingent only upon that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
A simple credit check would usually list your current employer.
Wait, really? So they could use that instead? That would be good.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Your situation will be "in peril" as soon as you give your notice. Your new job can simply rescind their offer. There are no guarantees.

You could talk to them. But I highly doubt they are going to change whatever their current procedures are.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
In my recent experience I was able to select that I don't want my current company contacted, could not start working without giving respectful 2 weeks notice, and was able to provide my most recent pay stub to the background checkers as proof of my employment. I passed the check and my employer is none the wiser. Its still 2 weeks before I will give my 2 weeks.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:39 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Oh and I have at least an email confirmation confirming that I passed the check, the offer is confirmed and I start on such and such date.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Does your company have an employee verification hotline? If so, contact the other company and give them that number.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
I thought they just call the business and not the person's direct supervisor and say "Hello, I would like to verify the employment of John Smith. Does he work there and what is his title?"

Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Wait until you have a firm offer in your hand. Doing a background check does not mean you have the job. It will in no way hinder your current job, employers who do background checks generally pull your credit report and call older employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search