Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:02 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
I'm sorry it ended up this way. I'm in the same geography as you and have been going through similar situations.

I'm surprised people didn't find it odd that the hiring manager was the one keeping in touch with you. In my experience, unless it has to do with follow up questions about the ability to do the job or special circumstance, HR should be the ones keeping you warm as hiring managers aren't typically trained to give the proper responses to candidates. I actually thought the initial note HR sent you was more detailed information than a firm usually gives.

In any case, it's no fun coming in second. Keep plugging.

Yeh I found that weird and like I said we had a great connection, and the fact that the HM himself was keeping me in the loop made me think he was really interested as he was emailing me himself to check on my availability from time to time and this is a big company that probably everyone here has heard of. This is the 3rd time im getting an interview from a very well-known company and at the end came second as usual. I need to find out what it is that I am doing wrong that gets these people interested but still I get passed on in favor of another candidate in the end. This is my 3rd interview in the past 2 months with 3 different companies in the area, and it is the same scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 PM

Ok, people so remember the hiring manager told me he offered the 2nd position to someone else. This was about 2 weeks ago, and then today i got a message from the HR person and she said this:

Quote:
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. We were not working on the second Senior XX position yet, so I had no additional feedback to share with you at the time. When we filled the first position, we identified a candidate that came from a similar type of company as XXX, and whose experience was a closer match to their needs.

That being said, the team just followed up with me and they are wondering if you might be interested in our new Senior XX position! Please let me know. Either way, I would appreciate hearing back from you.

Thank you!
HR Person

So now, i am confused. The HM already told me he hired someone and now the HR person is acting like that conversation never happened.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
None of us will know. Only the HM and HR will.

FWIW, sounds like someone else quit, or the first person didn't work out.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 AM

I just find it weird that this is the 3rd time that they are contacting me to ask me if i am still interested but are still not making any moves towards an offer. Also, 2 weeks ago, the HM did tell me that he offered the 2nd position to someone else, so why is the HR person telling me that they never started hiring for that position? I feel like they are not being truthful

Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM

402 posts, read 745,632 times
If you still want to work there then follow it through. You really only need to be able to trust the hiring manager, and given the path you've described, I'm surprised they didn't reach out to you directly unless they were told not to after this time passed.

You weren't their first choice. You may or may not be the next one in the pipeline. You can play this all sorts of ways. If the company is big enough and it's a place you want to work, go ahead and follow up. It probably wouldn't hurt to be a little less available this time around (because although you're still interested, you're in multiple interview processes right now /wink).

I don't want to guess where you are in your mind about this, but there are different ways to play it, and I don't know enough to advise anything in particular.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
If you still want to work there then follow it through. You really only need to be able to trust the hiring manager, and given the path you've described, I'm surprised they didn't reach out to you directly unless they were told not to after this time passed.

You weren't their first choice. You may or may not be the next one in the pipeline. You can play this all sorts of ways. If the company is big enough and it's a place you want to work, go ahead and follow up. It probably wouldn't hurt to be a little less available this time around (because although you're still interested, you're in multiple interview processes right now /wink).

I don't want to guess where you are in your mind about this, but there are different ways to play it, and I don't know enough to advise anything in particular.
Thank you. Here is the thing, I don’t know if I trust the HM, I don’t know if you’ve been following this thread since the beginning, but I will give a quick recap of the timeline so you can see why this is quite confusing:
End of Sept: Have interview at QQ
First week of October: Email from HR person telling me that the position has been offered to someone else but there is a 2nd position open and the HM is considering me for that position. At this point I email the HM and he tells me that yes he offered the position to someone else but another position open up and he is considering me for it, to hang in there
3RD WEEK of October: constant emails from HM asking me if I had other opportunities and that he is still interested and was checking to see if I still was interested since I was still under consideration. I told him I was still actively interviewed and had a potential offer but nothing definite and I needed his response by that Friday. He apologized for the lack of communication and that was that
October 25th: HM emails me and tells me congratulations on your other opportunities, I just made an offer to someone else for the other position that was open. I wish you the best in the future. I emailed him back and said thank you, good luck with the new candidate:
2 days ago: HR person emails me and apologizes for not being in touch since the first week of October and states that the reason was that they have not started hiring for the 2nd position but now they are and management told her to check with me to see if I was still interested. I told her yes I am and I never heard back from her since lol

Now how confusing is this? Obviously, there is something they are not saying, because HM already told me that he hired someone else on October 25th, so why is HR person contacting me now saying that they never started the process for that 2nd position and asking me if Im still interested? Something just doesn’t add up. Why is HR person acting like that conversation I had with the HM about him hiring someone else never happened?. And yeh it is a big company, you probably have seen their commercial during super bowl.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM

189 posts, read 239,805 times
Well if I were you, I would say yes I am interested in your junior position, but move on.
Sometimes it's satisfactory to have an explaination, but you cannot always demand and get a straight one.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookofLife View Post
Well if I were you, I would say yes I am interested in your junior position, but move on.
Sometimes it's satisfactory to have an explaination, but you cannot always demand and get a straight one.

It is not a junior position, it is the exact same position. What I am trying to understand is the discrepancies between what the HM said and what HR is now saying

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM

189 posts, read 239,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
It is not a junior position, it is the exact same position. What I am trying to understand is the discrepancies between what the HM said and what HR is now saying
Well if that is the case, I would write them both for a clarification.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookofLife View Post
Well if that is the case, I would write them both for a clarification.
When the HR person contacted me, I told her I was under the impression that that position has been filled and her answer was. No ,this is for the 2nd position are you still interested? All of this was in email, and I did not want to go back and forth and say but HM told me xyz 2 weeks ago. So I did not say anything, I just said sure, Im interested but it is mind boggling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search