Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

So I went to a company's website which listed job openings they had, along with a button "Apply online". So I fill out the application and attach my resume...and crickets. Couple weeks later, and I find out someone I used to work with works for this company now. I call her, and she gives me the name and number of her regional manager. I call the regional manager, and she has a desperate need they have been unable to fill in my area, so now I am in the paperwork process to work for them. She was never given my resume or had any inkling I had applied online. So why do companies even have this feature, and where do the applications actually go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
they go to the internet graveyard.. i dont think they ever check jobs online.. or mostly never..

Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Well not exactly. Because most companies get hundred of applications for each job, they use a computer program to filter the applications by keywords. They set up a limit on how many actual resumes they want to review. They, in essence, ask the computer to pull out the 20 best matches. If your application is not deemed a top match by the computer program, HR never sees it or reviews it and they in turn, never pass it on to the actual hiring manager.

That's why it's important to customized each resume for each online submission with the keywords used in the online ad.

Most companies will keep your resume on file and occasionally, they will do other keyword searches and on an off chance, you may get a call later for a different job.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
It creates the illusion of "jobs" so the company can brag about hiring and being a "job creator" and so crazy people can point to all the "jobs" online and use that to bash the unemployed since there are clearly soooo many "jobs" out there.

The automated resume filters get rid of nearly everyone, including many qualified people. Then, the HR people get rid of the rest based upon things like their name, age, etc. Finally, the company than either hires the boss's son - who knows nothing about the field and is a total clod - or they claim they "can't find any qualified Americans" and use that excuse to hire visa workers for bottom dollar or send the jobs overseas.

It's all part of a big game, and the unemployed are not welcome.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:17 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It creates the illusion of "jobs" so the company can brag about hiring and being a "job creator" and so crazy people can point to all the "jobs" online and use that to bash the unemployed since there are clearly soooo many "jobs" out there.

The automated resume filters get rid of nearly everyone, including many qualified people. Then, the HR people get rid of the rest based upon things like their name, age, etc. Finally, the company than either hires the boss's son - who knows nothing about the field and is a total clod - or they claim they "can't find any qualified Americans" and use that excuse to hire visa workers for bottom dollar or send the jobs overseas.

It's all part of a big game, and the unemployed are not welcome.
Read the post there, Chuckie. OP is getting the job. Nice wayward rant though.

OP. One of the internal HR recruiters massively dropped the ball. Plain and simple.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Read the post there, Chuckie. OP is getting the job. Nice wayward rant though.
She's only getting it because she CALLED someone she KNEW who put her in touch with HER contact.

HR is a FAILURE.

Quote:
OP. One of the internal HR recruiters massively dropped the ball. Plain and simple.

Oh please! Stop it.

HR are losers. Everyone is hip to that now.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
She's only getting it because she CALLED someone she KNEW who put her in touch with HER contact.

HR is a FAILURE.

Oh please! Stop it.

HR are losers. Everyone is hip to that now.
Stop what? I agree with you. As a Director, if I never dealt with HR again in any aspect, you could call that my birthday presents, Xmas gifts and anniversary presents all rolled into one.

But it begins and ends there.

You think applicants are the only ones that feel this pain? Look at the HM in the OP, they were dying for people and HR got in their way.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Got my current job, and the prior one, by applying online. I'm an HM now getting resumes of folks who applied online. The vast conspiracy is a fallacy.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
The only way I have seen online applications work is for an internal job board. I have never gotten a call back from an online application any other way. Sometimes I get a form email "thank you for applying for X position at Y company" and RARELY, like 5% of the time, I get a form email rejection letter 3 months later after I've forgotten about it. But I've never gotten a response from an actual person unless I already worked there and I was applying for a different job within the company.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
I've gotten a lot of call backs and secured my current job through online applications. There's no conspiracy. You need a good resume, a good cover letter, and the right keywords.

I wonder if the different experiences are due to the nature of the job. I work in a corporate environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search