Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times

Advertisements

I get a lot of E-mailed junk from the job-hunting websites I've signed up with. Most of it is pretty obvious. This one short article stuck out to me, though. Not because it has earth-shattering, unique advice, just that it puts the very best tips together in one place.

Best of all, it suggests some questions for the interviewee to pose to the interviewer which are especially good and applicable in many circumstances. Herein are three intelligent to say when asked, "Do you have any questions?"

5 Best Things to Say in an Interview | Monster

The only thing not mentioned is something every job hunter should do after the interview: send an intelligent, well-written, snail-mail, thank-you letter to the person who interviewed you, referencing some specific things you spoke about so s/he knows it was tailored to that situation, not a canned thank-you.

Please note, I have no connection to Monster other than receiving information from them. I just thought this article might be a help to the many people on this thread looking for work.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 10-09-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 01:58 PM

211 posts, read 529,168 times
One question I like to go with is:

"Based on my resume, what are some things I can improve on to be successful?"

Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
I have NEVER sent a thank you note after a job interview. My SO sends them all the time and for him it just seems to drag out the time frame to "no".

I will of course say thank you after the interview in person, I will also assume you will call me if you want to hire me. Do you REALLY have time to be checking up on each interviewee to see if they sent a thank you? Honestly if you have that much time on your hands, you're not doing your job. "You" being the recruiter/hiring manager who should be looking for the best qualified candidate, and unless a job requirement is creating thank you notes, then thats a waste of time all around.

If I didn't wow you at the interview enough for you to take note of it, a thank you note is unlikely to change that impression.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Pretty good advice. The reason they didn't mention the letter is because they don't matter. If you feel Ms. Manners would disapprove, send the letter, just don't expect it to have any affect on the process.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

5 Best Things to Say in an Interview | Monster

The only thing not mentioned is something every job hunter should do after the interview: send an intelligent, well-written, snail-mail, thank-you letter to the person who interviewed you, referencing some specific things you spoke about so s/he knows it was tailored to that situation, not a canned thank-you.

I will usually send e-mails because where I was eventually hired, EVERYTHING is electronic now and who knows how long it would take to get the snail mail to the intended recipient. I do think referencing your interview is something you should do but I don't do snail mail---especially how often some of the people are out of the office at my place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search