Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,499 times

Advertisements

Education:
Pace University, New York City, NY
Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science May 2007
Minor: Internet Technologies

Experience:
Rite Aid, Brooklyn, NY
Cashier - April 2013 to present
-Process transactions quickly and efficiently - maintain a friendly relationship with the customers by greeting them and assisting them with all relevant issues
-Provide outstanding customer service by answering customers’ inquires about merchandise and advising customers on merchandise selection
-Assist in other areas of store, such as clean-up, shelf-stocking, or keeping merchandise displayed in orderly manner

KIB, New York City, NY
Intern - July 2001 to August 2001
-Entered data into Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and verified data entered for accuracy
-Organized documents, letters, and correspondences into appropriate folders
-Sorted and distributed incoming/outgoing USPS mail
-Performed other general clerical tasks like faxing, copying, and answering phone calls

MBA, New York City, NY
Intern - July 2000 to August 2000
-Entered data into Microsoft Access database system and verified data entered for accuracy
-Handled phone calls and took messages
-Sorted and distributed incoming/outcoming USPS mail

Technical Skills:
-Familiarity with Windows 7, Windows XP, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access

Little about myself for those who are curious when you saw my resume
-Extremely shy and have had social anxiety issues but have overcame it to some extend. Working at Rite Aid but now hoping to land office clerk, file clerk job etc, or any job in office environment. I know that I lack office work experience and I do need some advice on how I should go ahead and find an office type job.

Any suggestions welcome and thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Look for Administrative Assistant positions in your area, see what skills they are looking for, and craft your resume around that.

I would list your education at the end of the resume instead of at the top; that is secondary to your experience.

It looks like you have a solid framework to work off of.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Your resume makes you look sketchy. You have huge time gaps. You no longer need to include intern work from 13 years ago.

Take the date off of your education. You've had a degree for over 8 years and you've not done any professional work. Also, you don't want to date yourself.

What happened between 2001 and 2013?

I would suggest you do some volunteer administrative/computer/IT with a non-profit in your area to shore up your resume. Check out www.idealist.org.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Need to put actual numbers, for example:

Process transactions quickly and efficiently - How quickly?

Entered data into Microsoft Excel spreadsheets - How much data? You do anything with the data?

Also;

MBA - what is this? I look at this and the first thing hits my mind is an academic degree, you need to spell out companies unless that of course is the actual name.

Familiarity with Windows 7, Windows XP, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access - Familiarity? Like you have seen it? Try listing an actual rating, like beginner, intermediate, advanced for example.

Also, why did you go through the trouble of a computer science degree just to get some GED level office work? Unless that is what it is, I do not know, but I would expect some entry level IT stuff or something. But of course get in a large organization, you can move from admin to IT.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Your resume makes you look sketchy. You have huge time gaps. You no longer need to include intern work from 13 years ago.

Take the date off of your education. You've had a degree for over 8 years and you've not done any professional work. Also, you don't want to date yourself.

What happened between 2001 and 2013?
I agree with this as well.

While I am the first to criticize stigmas behind employment gaps (see other thread), these gaps are way out there in left field. (Oh boy, I am just expected to get hammered now for this comment if posters from the other thread see it)

Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,021 times
First off, congratulations on overcoming your shyness and social anxiety to take on a customer service role. I really admire that.

As far as your resume goes, can you do a functional resume or something? I think your skills are okay, but I think they fit together better independently as opposed to linked to a specific position.

I agree that you should put your education on the bottom and I would try to get either some volunteer work with some type of organization or even projects helping friends to give yourself some recent experience. Seeing internship work that you probably did in high school would raise some red flags for me, unfortunately.

I do have a question about IT. Did your degree give you any software/hardware/programming expertise that you can put on your resume or would all of that knowledge be out of date now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Since when does 13-7 = 8? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by altlover85; 10-17-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post

Since when does 13-7 = 8? Or am I missing something?
Must be the rounding.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
Too orientated towards routine tasks and not enough about what you actually accomplished above and beyond the call of duty.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM

42 posts, read 80,207 times
Why do you have an employment gap from August 2001 to April 2013? Were you trying to be a stay-at-home mom or dad?

It might be a good idea to include your GPA from college (or major GPA) on your resume if it was a 3.0 or above. Having a good GPA does demonstrate that you have a good work ethic.

Since you have employment gaps, I think you should make a functional resume that focuses more on your skills. You can google functional resumes to find examples.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
I don't think I'd include your college GPA (it was too long ago to really be that valuable to you now) but I might a section for Classroom Experience: and include any major projects you workd on during school.

when i first graduated college, i had a classroom experience section where i placed projects where I used a certain banking database to valuate a privately held bank, a business plan I had to write and present to venture capitalists, etc. any major project like that can be used.

I'd also take computer networking certs or something since so much time has lapsed between your degree and tangible experience. this might be the best thing you can do at this point. get an a+ cert (about $180) and try to get into networking somewhere and then use your CS degree to advance into another IT area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search