Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 PM

257 posts, read 608,977 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out of state, ideally after the first of the year but I am flexible. I don't have a full-time job right now and had planned on looking for one after I move.

That being said, my resume' is posted and I was contacted for a job opening in the area I am now. The job description sounds OK and I don't completely mind the area I am in now since my family lives here, but would rather live elsewhere as this is a smaller town/area, and the job is located in an even smaller town nearby, so I'm unsure of whether to accept an interview.

Is it better to find a job where you are now and then after you have one, look for a new one in the new state or, to just move to the new state and then find a job? I have just heard it's easier to find a job when you already have one; at the same time I've also heard it's easier to find a job nowadays if you are a local candidate. My main fear would be moving and then not finding a job for a long time. I'm financially OK now but also I know of others who moved to a new town without a job and couldn't find one for a long time, and one ended up having to move back.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
It's better to find a job then move. This way you won't burn through your savings if you can't find a job right away. Also having no income makes it harder to find a place to live too.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
Is it better to find a job where you are now and then after you have one
look for a new one in the new state, or to just move to the new state and then find a job?
That depends on many variables... and most are EXCLUSIVE to you and your life.

Quote:
I am looking to move out of state...
OK. Make that happen.

Quote:
I don't have a full-time job right now...
Fix that and regardless of any plan/desire to relocate.
At least get a second part time job so you're clocking 40-60 hours.
Save your money.

The rest is about what actual skills, abilities and useful experience you REALLY have.
Resumes, without that sort of material to put on them, are a complete waste of time.

And if you don't have any/much actual skill or ability or real experience...
it won't help in any way to relocate before you acquire a couple of years worth.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM

I don't have a part-time job either, and I have money saved. This is why I can spend time with my family now/through the holidays and then have the option to move. I have many years of skills, abilities and useful experiences as well as a Master's Degree; this was a job they contacted me for after viewing my resume' online, I didn't contact them first. They didn't even have the job posted publicly yet. I had my resume' posted in Seattle where I lived before, it's been taken down months ago yet I am still being contacted by recruiters out there. I moved away because it was too grey for me.

My question boils down to: is it easier/better to find a job if you have one now, or if you are a local candidate?

I suspect it wouldn't take long to find a job since I am being contacted for jobs in both locations I've posted my resume' to as it is. I just want to give myself the best possible odds.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Actually now that I think about it, I am going to post my resume' to the top three cities I am considering. Even if my chances may not be the best that someone would contact me as an out of state candidate, there is a chance, and given the next couple months I will be spending time here, might as well have my resume' out there doing something for me. Would be great if I could get relocation $$ too.

Still don't know if I will interview for this current job. If it were actually in the same town that I/my family are located in (by family I mean Mom, brother, aunts/uncles etc - I'm not married and have no kids), I'd be more apt to follow up. But considering it's in an even smaller town an hour away, I'm less tempted to spend the time to interview. I'd like to pursue any opportunity of a good thing and it might be good "interview practice" if nothing else, but given the location I might nix it.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 AM

416 posts, read 871,547 times
If you work for a major company, you can very likely transfer or find a comparable job in another state.

I'm in the process of doing that. Relocating from San Fran area to Portland, OR, and went from AVP to VP with my company (nice raise with that), and I'll be arriving into a job I'm familiar with, with a company I've established a positive relationship with.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 AM

That sounds great! Enjoy Portland, really a unique, beautiful place.

Really I am leaning toward taking a pass on the current opportunity. While the job seems good, I do not think I'd enjoy living in an even smaller town than where I am now. Even if I could telecommute for part of the time it's an hour away.

My last job, I didn't like the location but I thought, "I won't be here that long.“ Then the economy tanked and I ended up for various reasons being there for almost five years. So, I don't want to repeat that.

I want to move elsewhere because of that reason - I'd enjoy living in the other cities more. It's riskier to move without a job first but sometimes you just have to do it! In addition to savings I also have income coming in from real estate investments, so I think I'll be ok.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
We moved without jobs after doing our homework, no the world didn't end. In fact, it was probably the best thing we could have done for my husband's career.

The best thing to do is to really spend a lot of time researching the job market in the cities you want to move to over a period of at least a month. You want to get an idea of how often jobs you are interested in are posted and what the pay rate is there. Play with Paycheck City to get an idea of local/state taxation if you are moving to a state that has these things.

Make sure you start applying just before your move or during your move if you are driving long distance. We did this and had plenty of interviews on arrival.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM

97 posts, read 145,850 times
It really depends on where you are at in your career level. For certain higher paying jobs you have to move for retail stay in your local area.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
Quite the predicament. Harder to get the job if you aren't a local candidate. High risk to move there without the job, but maybe a little easier to get the job if you are local. If you've got the desired skills for the target location and a good cash cushion, the risk could be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search