Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Welcome to 21rst century America. I love it when they ask for a resume then take you to their form to fill out your work and education history.

And also many ask for references too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is ridiculous! Some of these applications require upwards of an hour to fill out!
Don't do it.
The sooner the actual management realize that only schm-ucks who won't work out comply they'll stop.

Quote:
I recall the past two jobs that I got.... Simple resume submissions, a phone call,
interview and bam, you've got an offer.
Which points out all that actually matters or is needed.

Have the job history and work experience detail in a presentable format.
Provide an individually written two paragraph cover letter with that.
Address it all to a specific person if possible.
Done.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:14 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A better question is why are you filling out job applications? Job applications are one of the least effective ways to get a job and like you alluded to, are a huge waste of time. Stick to traditional job hunting techniques like networking.
In most cases, you still need to fill out the app after a referral so that you're in their system. This is from personal experience.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
I'd say it's probably about 70% of companies that employ this tactic. I agree, it's pretty ridiculous. Not to mention that they're making you do their petty HR data entry for free.

These systems they use must be a gigantic waste of money. See, the point of these systems is to capture your data in their talent pool database so that they might recruit you for positions down the road. The problem is, I've never been or heard of anyone else being recruited this way. So your data sits in this useless database for 6-months to a year and all for nothing. Again, it seems like a gigantic waste of money for the company to maintain such a database.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous! Some of these applications require upwards of an hour to fill out! I have 4 jobs that I list in my work history and I'm forced to type in every little detail pertaining to each job. I tell ya, this is enough to drive one to drink. What is the meaning of all this nonsense?

I recall the past two jobs that I got.... Simple resume submissions, a phone call, interview and bam, you've got an offer. Very simple formula, so why are HR managers rewriting the wheel these days? Maybe this is some kind of attempt to make employees stay put? Who in their right mind wants to spend 8-10 hours at work, an hour on the road both ways, and then 3 hours applying to maybe 4 jobs?

Insanity...
applying for work is work.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:41 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Copy/Paste?

I've filled out applications that take hours, you want the best jobs, you shrug and do it.

I have an application I filled out last September. The organization I am applying for is notoriously slow, the status still says it's being looked at. At this point I'm not expecting to hear anything for 2 more months because of the holidays.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,554 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous! Some of these applications require upwards of an hour to fill out! I have 4 jobs that I list in my work history and I'm forced to type in every little detail pertaining to each job. I tell ya, this is enough to drive one to drink. What is the meaning of all this nonsense?

I recall the past two jobs that I got.... Simple resume submissions, a phone call, interview and bam, you've got an offer. Very simple formula, so why are HR managers rewriting the wheel these days? Maybe this is some kind of attempt to make employees stay put? Who in their right mind wants to spend 8-10 hours at work, an hour on the road both ways, and then 3 hours applying to maybe 4 jobs?

Insanity...
It is B.S. but it's because jobs are so scarce now days. I bet these jobs you talk about are not even that well paying which makes it even more absurd.

I think I saw, and I may look it up, that last year there were only 137 million tax returns filed. The significance of this is huge. There are like 315 million people in this country according to the last census. That means that about 178 million people are essentially not involved with substantial, real work. Some may work under the table but if they don't pay for their own benefits and such or retirement than they'll end up a net drain on the economy. And of those 137 million how many are McDonald's type jobs? According to the research a very large percentage. That means eventually the system will collapse. It's only a matter of when, not if.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
It is B.S. but it's because jobs are so scarce now days. I bet these jobs you talk about are not even that well paying which makes it even more absurd.

I think I saw, and I may look it up, that last year there were only 137 million tax returns filed. The significance of this is huge. There are like 315 million people in this country according to the last census. That means that about 178 million people are essentially not involved with substantial, real work. Some may work under the table but if they don't pay for their own benefits and such or retirement than they'll end up a net drain on the economy. And of those 137 million how many are McDonald's type jobs? According to the research a very large percentage. That means eventually the system will collapse. It's only a matter of when, not if.
Most married couples file 1 tax return, add in children who do not work, and retired folks that do not have any enough taxable income to worry about filing and that number drops considerably.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
A better question is why are you filling out job applications? Job applications are one of the least effective ways to get a job and like you alluded to, are a huge waste of time. Stick to traditional job hunting techniques like networking.
You think people who use networking to get a job don't fill out the requisite paperwork?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
This makes no sense; it is a requirement by most companies, especially any with a federal contract, to have an application process, in which filling out an application is part of it.

While a network is useful, it is doubtful a network is going to span hundreds of companies that someone may be applying for over the course of a few months. Even being a referral, many times the person still must fill out an application.

Many companies have strict guidelines regarding the hiring process. My company for example, there is no back door or hidden network to get in, it is mandatory everyone applies through the application process. The only exceptions are some executives and specialized IT types who the company pays headhunters to go out and find, and handle a lot of the application process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search