Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

HR departments are the worst hurdles. I applied twice at the last company I worked for and was rejected by the HR people both times. Then a friend who worked at that company got me bypassed over HR with a direct interview with a supervisor who was interviewing the candidates HR was sending to her.

The supervisor and I hit it off immediately. She said I was perfect for the job. She told HR she wanted me and voila! I was hired. So what made me perfect for the job the third time and not qualified the first two times I applied? I think it was that most HR departments really have no clue about the jobs for which they are hiring people. Their criteria seems to be something other those needed for the actual job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
With ads, I only aswered the ones where I had all or at least 90% of what they asked for.
What we are looking for is described in the job postings as the desired qualifications; it is not the absolute requirements. If you have 100% of the qualifications you’re in the running until those with 101+% of the requirements comes forward. Let’s be honest, would you be so accepting of the absolute qualifications if your seeking work and find out a company hired someone with fewer qualifications than you have?

If you’re applying with only 90% of the qualifications, you wasted your time and my time as you DO NOT meet the qualifications. That’s a clear sign of a person who can’t read and understand what is being asked so why should I hire a person who clearly is unqualified by education/experience and common sense?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:08 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Default Referral = Letter of recommendation from somebody already trusted

Companies hire based on a personal referral because resumes lie. I don't know about other industries, but in my line of work you are putting your own neck on the line when you personally recommend somebody to be hired into your company. And the reverse is true -- before I recommend a friend apply, I give the full unvarnished truth about what it's like to work here.

Finding applicants by letting HR write job ads and then filter the random resumes of respondents for keywords never seems to actually bring in qualified candidates; When I worked for a Fortune 500 firm, I submitted a list of the real requirements to HR, who felt obliged to truncate my list so they could prepend "strong keyboarding skills, familiarity with Microsoft office and Excel". Then wondered why I rejected every candidate they forwarded.

Aside from just after college, nearly every consulting gig and job I've had was found through somebody I had previously worked with, who was willing to tell the boss "I worked with this dude before and he does good work". No resume or HR officer or background check can make that same guarantee.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:45 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I have no sympathy for companies that can't find qualified and competent employees. It all boils down to one of these things:

1. They are not willing to pay a decent rate to attract and retain the quality, intelligent, and pre-trained employees that they claim they need. How long do you think an engineer or scientist is going to work for a temp agency for less than $20 per hour before realizing they have better options and either leave your company or leave the field entirely?

2. Purple Squirrel-ism. Everyone is responsible for training the workforce except your company. The Universe should just magically pop out epoxy formulations chemists with 10 years of the exact experience you are looking for.

3. Dysfuntional Hiring system. Stop letting a stupid computer pick who is qualified for an interview based on which acronym and synonyms are present in which field, how many yes answers there are to your ridiculously over specific questions. [Have you used an Agilent 1290 with a API 3000 MS/MS to measure the concentration of Inosine monophosphate on a Thursday before Yes/No). Stop jerking around candidates for 90 minutes with your terrible application system. It doesn't select for better candidates only more desperate ones.
It took me a few years but I finally found a job in a big health care organization. They don't pay dirt, they are willing to train and a talent acquisition person found me and encouraged me to apply. (I had no connections to this place whatsoever.) Interestingly enough, they're able to employ tens of thousands of people (and they're always hiring), continue to expand and when they take over places that are in debt, they seem to be able to flip it into a profit. As a result, people stay for years. Because they do the right thing, I find myself really enjoying my job and the thought of even looking for another job hasn't crossed my mind.

Companies could do the right thing. It ends up benefiting everyone.

BTW-In conjunction with your purple squirrel-ism, I'd throw in the "you lack experience" crap in the garbage. I'm the newest person in my department and my supervisor has complimented me twice thus far on noticing things that all of these other people with 20+ years of experience seemed to miss. But hey they have experience and that's what matters right?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
$10-12 an hour for a BS in chemistry? I made $11 an hour working at Macy's ten years ago.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
When I had no luck at 90%, why would 50% be any better? Then they really could ask me why I was wasting their time. Not an issue now anyway. I went back to construction work and have stayed employed or self employed the last 18 years. This field has many issues too but construction firms don't generally post jobs they do not have open. They don't play that kind of games.
Because you're expanding your candidate pool. Just basic math.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
There is a flip side to this, and yes, some employers ARE trying to find good people, but some people just don't want to work. My one Son manages a large condominium and they can't keep maintenance men. They all come in promising the world but end up not showing up, not doing their job, and generally being lousy employees. The pay is very good, the condos start at $1 million, so it isn't a ghetto situation, and the work really isn't all that hard, compared to some other maintenance jobs. But people are just lazy any more and undependable.

So it isn't always the fault of the employers.

Don

Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 AM

29,819 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
There is a flip side to this, and yes, some employers ARE trying to find good people, but some people just don't want to work. My one Son manages a large condominium and they can't keep maintenance men. They all come in promising the world but end up not showing up, not doing their job, and generally being lousy employees. The pay is very good, the condos start at $1 million, so it isn't a ghetto situation, and the work really isn't all that hard, compared to some other maintenance jobs. But people are just lazy any more and undependable.

So it isn't always the fault of the employers.

Don
It has more to do with the average rate of pay. Low paying occupation will attract less desirable candidates as a whole. Your son is trying to find a needle in a haystack type of worker. Paying more helps, but it can still take awhile.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 AM

113 posts, read 212,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Venting is fine and dandy, but it doesn't get the job or the paycheck.
This was helpful....

On a forum where people come to talk, not apply for jobs.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What we are looking for is described in the job postings as the desired qualifications; it is not the absolute requirements. If you have 100% of the qualifications you’re in the running until those with 101+% of the requirements comes forward. Let’s be honest, would you be so accepting of the absolute qualifications if your seeking work and find out a company hired someone with fewer qualifications than you have?

If you’re applying with only 90% of the qualifications, you wasted your time and my time as you DO NOT meet the qualifications. That’s a clear sign of a person who can’t read and understand what is being asked so why should I hire a person who clearly is unqualified by education/experience and common sense?
Right. We won't even interview someone with less than 100% of the qualifications. If we get a lot of applicants, we might only interview those with 100% plus the "desired" in addition to required and still interview 15-20 people for one opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search