Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 PM

340 posts, read 913,981 times

Advertisements

How is this done? When it is done? How do you bring it up?

I am talking with three different employers who all seem interested in me (2 I have a phone interview with on Monday) and one I haven't talked with, but I know a person who works there who reports to the COO and has friends in HR, she said based on my resume I can get in.

So maybe it's a bit early, but I'd like to know how this works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Unless you have some extremely unique skill it probably doesn't happen for you. You could get lucky in a really good market when employers are hurting to find qualified individuals. But I wouldn't bank on it.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:59 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,650 times
I personally have never had it happen to me.

My friend in college had kind of a similar situation. She started applying for jobs about 3 months before she graduated, though she never had employers competing for her all at once, she eventually got a few job offers (I think 3) and she just accepted all of them (none of them required her to start work until two months after she graduated, so she had time to keep looking). So, she kept looking and applying for jobs and eventually got a job offer from the company she REALLY wanted, and then emailed all the other companies to let them know she'd no longer be starting with them.

Based on her experience alone, if I was in your situation, I'd accept all the offers and then pick which one to stick with.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:06 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post

Based on her experience alone, if I was in your situation, I'd accept all the offers and then pick which one to stick with.
I would remain interested but only accept the one in which you want. Once you accept you should feel relatively obligated to work there as they may have already told other candidates the job was no longer available etc.

I've had this happen a few times. You do this:

Once you receive all offers let them know you need a little bit to think about it (few hours or a day) unless it's a no brainer decision.

Then you just weigh all the options. Interest in work itself at each job, hours, pay, benefits, location, etc.

It's seriously not that hard.. just weigh ALL the options.

Then, if you know your skill is in demand, I'd typically counter offer. More money, more vacation, etc.

Only once have I ever told someone a salary range and they in return offered more.. so I always ask high. Worse case scenario is they are paying ridiculously lower and are no longer interested, in which you wouldn't want the job anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
I've had it happen once before. I received a job offer from the local government a few months after I started my first job. The money was better overall and I was tempted to take it. After all, I wasn't that much invested with my current company, who still had my under probation (so no benefits). I told my current employer about it and they asked if I liked where I was working. I told them yes. They came back with a matching offer a day later. It was a nice (albeit small) victory.

It would have been a pain in the arse for them to get go through the hiring process again. The position was contracted with one of our clients, so they had to approve everything, and my employer didn't want to go through that again. I think this only happens in special circumstances. If you're be easy to replace, it's not going to happen in most cases.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I let the companies know that I am looking and receiving offers. Or, let them know you have more interviews to tend to. They may lose interest, but other times they will offer more competitive wages/salaries.

It's not a bad situation to be in, although I don't like attending more interviews that I have to. It's always good to see what other offers may be on the table though.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 216,736 times
Default Negotiating your salary

If you receive multiple offers, it's okay to let them all know you need a couple of days to consider both offers. Seriously take those days to consider which job works best for you. Once you've made your decision then you begin negotiations. If you want a higher salary, this is the time to ask. Let the employer know you are very interested in the job and your final decision came down to them and another company but the only thing that separated the two companies was the salary. This is where you ask if they can match the salary. If they are truly interested they will match they salary. But if they don't you have to decide if you want to either walk away or just accept the salary you are offered.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,603 times
My co-worker had it happen to her. She applied for a position and received a job offer, but her current position offered her more money in order to stay. She used that to leverage her job offer and earns more now than she thought she would.

Honestly, I think she lucked into it, but she is a fantastic worker.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I think there is a big difference between having multiple job offers compete for you vs. your current job offering you more to stay. Your current company might have a lot invested in you. It might very well be cheaper for them to offer you more money than it would be to incur the cost of hiring, training and getting a employee up to speed.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think there is a big difference between having multiple job offers compete for you vs. your current job offering you more to stay. Your current company might have a lot invested in you. It might very well be cheaper for them to offer you more money than it would be to incur the cost of hiring, training and getting a employee up to speed.

That's true. OP - you also don't have companies competing for you at this point...you just have 3 potential jobs. You need to weigh what type of position you are applying for. If it's highly specific and you are very qualified, then sure, if you receive multiple OFFERS then do what you can negotiating wise. If it's entry level, be cautious. If you're easily replaceable and you come in and say another company will pay more they might just tell you to go take that other offer then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search