Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 983 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 20's guy living in the Pittsburgh area wanting to take my life in a more fulfilling direction. I've been at a dead end grocery store job for more than 5 years, and would probably be staying there another 5 years if not for my situation there getting as bad as it has. I've been on bad terms with a couple coworkers for a while now, and have more recently found myself on the bad side of one of the head managers. I've gotten sick of the dull and repetitive job duties anyway, so this is turning out to be a wake up call for me.

I have had opportunities over the years to work my way up in the job, however, I didn't take these chances seriously because I've lacked ambition. I've been going to college at the same time off and on over the years and started out with that same lack of ambition to do well, but I managed to turn things around in the past couple years and graduated with an associate's degree in general studies and an overall GPA above 3.0. Going back to school next year to get a bachelor's degree in accounting or a tech field is high on my priority list, but for now I want to make the most of whatever entry-level job I can get. Fear that I couldn't find anything better has kept me where I've worked for so long, but I'm determined to face this fear.

The problem is, this is the only job I've ever had so I'm clueless about a lot of aspects in getting a new job. Here are my questions:

1. Any suggestions for how I can get interview experience? I have basically none, and am hesitant to apply for the jobs I want most in case they do give me an interview and I fail it miserably. I was considering applying to a few jobs solely for the possibility of getting interview experience, but have no idea how tough the job market is in my area and so don't want to risk turning down job offers I might end up needing later.

2. While I really don't get along with a few of the people I currently work with and the job is dull, I might like to continue working there on a limited basis in order to keep in touch with the many coworkers I do get along with and know so well, and also to use it as a safety net in case a new job doesn't pan out. Would limiting my availability by 1-3 days per week hurt my chances much of getting hired elsewhere, and what kind schedule arrangement should I expect for splitting my schedule between two jobs?

3. How important are job references and how can I find more? For now I use a couple coworkers and a former manager, but I haven't talked to the former manager in a while and don't expect to see the couple coworkers much anymore either after I get another job.

4. Any general advice as to how I can increase my employability? Any excellent resources for learning the basics of a good job application or resume? My current job was so easy to get and I've been out of the job hunt for so long that, like I said, I'm pretty much clueless about this stuff.

Thank you!

Last edited by awesomepizza; 12-03-2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Adding question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search