Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM

84 posts, read 236,136 times

Advertisements

In this economy with the price of gas and all, can it be "profitable" to take part-time employment with an hour's commute?

I was asked if I would be willing to make a 2 hour RT commute to work part-time entry level basically, to get into a new industry. The original job I posted for was 5 min from home, but did not get that one ...

According to costtodrivedotcom calculations, I would be spending around 6 bucks a work day in gas, add cost of lunch out, etc.

I hear underemployment is quite rampant these days, so perhaps this is the normal way of things now. What's the take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM

147 posts, read 314,411 times
It's easy to calculate the cost of the job in terms of money (seems like you've already done that)

But...what about the intangible of the experience?

I would consider:
- How badly do you need the experience?
- Do you anything better to do with your time?
- (to be found out) How bearable is the work you do?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,013,787 times
I work with a woman who has been considering this very thing. With traffic, one way can be anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour. As a temp, she's making $10/hr. She doesn't have enough to even move into her own apartment (she had to move back home when her previous job ended) and she constantly weighs her options. I don't know how to advise her b/c I keep thinking this could turn into something else...but when? She's decided to wait until the end of the year to see if there are beneficial changes, then she says she's going to quit to find something closer to home. Sorry you're having a tough one...

Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
I would consider it IF and ONLY IF it would give your the neccesary background to move on in the industry in a full time role. I would consider it more "tuition" expense.

I use .50 cents a mile beyond my desired commute when evaluating a job. I apply that to anything further than 10 miles from my home So if the opportunity is 40 miles away I deduct ((30 x2)*.5)/8 or , in this example, the additional 60 miles of driving per day is 3.75 an hour. If the opportunity pays 3.75/hr more than I can find locally it is worth considering.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Why is lunch out an extra expense? Just take your lunch with you. Any income is better than none, as well as relevant experience.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 25,817 times
When times are tight this can seem like a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. What kind of job would you prefer? I've known of people who've gotten jobs after they matched what they wanted to do with the problems employers have. The trick is to find out what those are, even when there are so many layoffs.

Last edited by Jerbob70; 10-14-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,746 times
Nope! Wouldn't do it. I'd go be a waitress, cashier, bagger, janitor, fast food worker somewhere local to me (within 10 mins of my house) and come ahead in $$$ and be under less stress.....all while I continue to apply for the job I REALLY want.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
no way..............

I have a cool gig now but I'm always looking and this time around I am only looking in the city limits or it must be on a busline.

Gas is way to much if you're not making any money but for me it's not about that it's about spending all of my time on the road. Been there done that.

This just motivates me to keep working on my internet business. Screw a job and a commute.

Last edited by Ron.; 10-14-2011 at 09:55 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
no way..............

I have a cool gig now but I'm always looking and this time around I am only looking inthe city limits or it must be on a busline.

Gas is way to much if you're not making any money but for me it's not about that it's about speeding all of my time on the road. Been there done that.

this just motivates me to keep working on my internet business. Screw a job and a commute.
SAME HERE. Hard work, but I want a change in my life.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM

352 posts, read 777,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why is lunch out an extra expense? Just take your lunch with you. Any income is better than none, as well as relevant experience.
This is true to an extent however for most it isnt time effective(time is also money) to do long commutes and be unhappy at the job. You would be doing yourself a disservice and not give the company you work for 100%.

They would pick up on this and probably fire you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment