Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 AM

8 posts, read 19,627 times

Advertisements

I have been submitting my resume for various jobs online, which include my cover letter and resume. My applications and resumes state that I have an Associates Degree. The problem is, that although I have earned all the credits I need for an Associate's Degree in accounting, I missed the deadline to apply for graduation. This means that I have to wait until May for it to be official.

I figured that background checks aren't done until after the interview process, but now I'm starting to re-consider. I think it might make sense for employers to do background checks before they waste time interviewing candidates that they don't want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 03:33 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Are you filling out a consent form for a background check, before receiving requests for interviews? The forms will typically request your SS# and last 5 years of previous home addresses.

I never give out any info, until an offer is made. There is no need for every HR dept to have my personal information and risk identity theft.

Last edited by move4ward; 12-21-2013 at 04:58 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Most times background checks aren't done until they decide they want to make an offer.

If you have successfully finished all the required credits and don't owe the school any money, then you have successfully completed your Associates degree. Graduation is only a ceremony. It has no bearing on the actual degree being conferred. Think about people who complete their degree online and never step one foot on the actual campus.

If you aren't getting interviews, I would question the quality of your resume/cover letter, your employment history, and your job search skills. Many people have bad resumes and don't know it. Are you using targeted resumes with the proper keywords? Does your resume show consistent experience that points to the job you are apply for? Are you applying to enough jobs? Are you applying regionally or nationwide?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
I agree with charlygal, can you post your resume or show it too someone who deals with hiring? It is probably your resume and cover letter that is the issue. An AA in accounting is good for a variety of basic jobs, the job market is decent, but a poor resume won't get you an interview. My degree was in teaching English and I edited/reviewed resumes for others as part of it. Unfortunately, a lot of business students especially struggled with the overall concept of a stand-out cover letter and resume, even if they were good candidates. This might be obvious, but are you also sending it with proper computer formatting?

Old 12-21-2013, 07:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
It is simply too expensive and time consuming to run backgrounds on all applicants, so the issue lies somewhere else.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy752 View Post
I have been submitting my resume for various jobs online, which include my cover letter and resume. My applications and resumes state that I have an Associates Degree. The problem is, that although I have earned all the credits I need for an Associate's Degree in accounting, I missed the deadline to apply for graduation. This means that I have to wait until May for it to be official.

I figured that background checks aren't done until after the interview process, but now I'm starting to re-consider. I think it might make sense for employers to do background checks before they waste time interviewing candidates that they don't want.
No one does background checks until after the interview process. If you are only applying for jobs online, that is most likely your problem. Applying for jobs online is more often than not a waste of time. Spend your time networking and doing volunteer work. Those are the things that get you jobs. Resume blasts online are pretty ineffective.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is simply too expensive and time consuming to run backgrounds on all applicants, so the issue lies somewhere else.
More likely, the lack of a 4 year degree and work experience in the field is the cause. Even "entry-level" positions are getting plenty of well qualified applicants with degrees, advanced degrees and experience.
My most recent hire for the lowest paying position in my group at $23/hr has an MBA and 3 years experience. We had over 100 applicants of which most had a BA/BS and at least 2 years experience.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
they can only run a background check if you sign a release form, it is illegal to otherwise do so, as mentioned above.

get some resume help from a head hunter. and as was mentioned above, an AA and little experience will take you a bit longer to land something, you just need to keep applying.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Know someone that has had good luck using AccountTemps or something similar. A lot of firms would rather hire an accountant or bookkeeper as a temp to make sure they know what they are doing before bringing them on permanently. Plus the temp firm that they signed up with has some online accounting classes you can take to brush up on skills you may lack. Helped them to learn enough about payroll accounting to get hired someplace.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Maybe there is a lot of competition and the OP has little or no experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search