Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Is it the Reference Check that is done before a Job Offer and then the Background Check is done AFTER the job offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
You have it correctly in the usual order. Unless you're a teacher. Then the background has to be done prior to hiring, at least in PA.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You have it correctly in the usual order. Unless you're a teacher. Then the background has to be done prior to hiring, at least in PA.
Ok because it was in the month of April when I decided to add my supervisor from my last job as a reference since they already ask on the job applications can we contact your last supervisor. So I called him to let him know that don't say anything that will cause me a job offer unless you want me to be homeless-lol

So he is the only one I'm concerned bout on my list.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:33 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Ok because it was in the month of April when I decided to add my supervisor from my last job as a reference since they already ask on the job applications can we contact your last supervisor. So I called him to let him know that don't say anything that will cause me a job offer unless you want me to be homeless-lol

So he is the only one I'm concerned bout on my list.
So is this the same manager that you refused to give the password to? You better hope he didn't figure out you were being difficult to be difficult with the password, otherwise, he may cost you a job if you have him as a reference.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
So is this the same manager that you refused to give the password to? You better hope he didn't figure out you were being difficult to be difficult with the password, otherwise, he may cost you a job if you have him as a reference.

He never made a big deal about the password and told me a month ago he wished I was still there because things are getting crazy. So I shouldn't have anything to worry about

Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Same in Florida. For non-faculty jobs in FL, hire then background check and drug screen, then start date.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM

62 posts, read 313,872 times
I think it's all crazy. They should do both the reference check AND the background check BEFORE they even offer the job. Then if the background check comes back with something unsatisfactory they can move on to the next candidate.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeAuLait40 View Post
I think it's all crazy. They should do both the reference check AND the background check BEFORE they even offer the job. Then if the background check comes back with something unsatisfactory they can move on to the next candidate.
I know makes more sense, I know so many stories of someone getting a job offer and then haven't the offer taken away after the background check.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeAuLait40 View Post
They don't require non-faculty to spend the money prior to job offer, and I certainly understand why. Telling an $8/hour janitor that they have to spend the time and money for a background check before they can even apply? That's almost two days take home pay for them.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 AM

710 posts, read 1,960,878 times
I guess it varies from place to place? For my current job, my boss interviewed me, decided she wanted to hire me, and sent my application/resume back up to Human Resources. When I applied for the position, they sent it down to her for consideration, she interviewed me, and then that's when she sent it back up to them. They checked references as part of the background check, and although I was fairly confident I was going to be offered the job, I didn't hear back about a job offer for probably over a month. This was because they had to go through the background check/reference check process, and I think they also had to verify my years of experience because it affected how much they offered me to start. Then they (HR) called me to extend the official job offer and to schedule an appointment for me to come in and do the drug test and sign some paperwork. I work for a mid-sized company, I guess--about 1500-1800 employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search