Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,735 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I'm hoping that a few people on here can offer me some resume advice! I'm looking to break into healthcare consulting, financial planning and analysis, or public accounting (sitting for the CPA exam this summer). Any advice is appreciated.

Also, right now my resume is over one page. I need to cut out some information, so I'm hoping people can point out some of the weaker areas of my resume. Thanks!

John Doe

Phone: 999-999-9999 Email: John.Doe@gmail

EDUCATION
Regional Public School
Certificate in Accounting, May 2014 (Expected)
GPA: 3.85

Top 25 School
Bachelor of Arts in Economics, August 2011
GPA: 3.03

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Current Employer City, State
Pricing Analyst, Sep 2012 - Present
-Priced middle market groups by performing financial and statistical analysis while adapting to changes involving healthcare reform. Forecasted trends by inspecting historical claims data.
-Extracted and manipulated data to perform pricing of various insurance proposals. Developed basic cost projections using group cost and enrollment data. Analyzed medical insurance trends to help forecast costs for middle market groups. Calculated premium costs per member for comparative analysis.
-Researched inquires and coordinated with various departments, such as Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Legal and Actuarial. Resolved data requests and rectified rating and underwriting issues from external clients while ensuring deadlines were met.

Fortune 500 Company City, State
Finance Intern, Summer 2011 & 2012
-Communicated internationally with a team of analysts in order to resolve outstanding accounts.
-Significantly enhanced operational performance by increasing past due debt collections by an estimated 10%. Developed payment plan options for financially distressed companies by forecasting future usage. Monitored progress by developing an actual verses forecast variance report, resulting in the collection of over $5M.

Underwriting Intern, Summer 2010
-Recognized for excellent time management, perseverance, attention to detail and going above the line when completing large group profiles.
-Selected by management to represent the company in a leadership program designed to retain top talent in the area.

Internal Consulting Intern, Fall 2009
-Generated a detailed monthly budget variance report on Microsoft Excel and implemented procedures for submission of information. Achieved greater efficiency and accuracy by allowing departments to better manage cost.
-Led the development of a position control model and produced a more efficient reporting method.
-Managed the consolidation of bi-weekly and monthly reports on Microsoft SharePoint. Contacted leaders of different cost centers for financial updates, resulting in a greater response in reporting by an estimated 20%.

Treasury Services Intern, Summer 2009
-Led the development of a cash flow forecast model of a major subsidiary. Created and analyzed pivot tables. Produced easily identifiable cash flow trends for the creation of a monthly forecast.
-Redesigned the cash flow model on Microsoft Excel. Reduced clutter and employed a simpler yet more comprehenvsive layout. Developed an automated report generating process allowing for easy identification of variances

High School Athletic Program City, State
Founder (2005) and Junior Varsity Basketball Coach, 2007-2008 season
-Managed the competitive strategy, physical development, and group dynamics of a competitive athletic team of 10 members within a high school setting.This resulted in the team's first winning season in its three year history.
-Established relationships with public and private schools throughout the state. This resulted in a more competitive environment, including games with top ranked teams. Led recruitment efforts via social media and networking. My efforts led to a 300% increase in membership in the second year of the program.

ACTIVITIES & INTEREST
Volunteer Work: Elementary School Mentor, Food Bank, Sorority Mudbowl Coach,
Campus Involvement: Active Member of RANDOM Fraternity
Honors: Honor, Honor, Honor, Dean's List
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Drop the high school stuff, interests and double check your spelling, grammar and out of context jargon.

Versus, not verses.
Random v in comprehensive.

Do not use spell check, and don't worry about it being over a page.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I would drop all of the intern experience from 2010 and earlier. You are now a grown up professional. You no longer need to include internships. I would also have your Professional Experience section above your Education section. You are relying on your job experience to get you the job.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Sorority Mudbowl Coach. Lol.

All in all, it's pretty good. You have quite a bit for someone who just got out of school.

I would dissuade you from hopping around very much. If your current job is decent, you might want to stick with it for a while.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 PM

68 posts, read 124,441 times
I'm a recent college graduate myself. And in my short experience in the big kid job world, I've had more success when I shorten, focus and tailor my resume to the jobs I'm applying for. Keep it under a page, drop all the high school and personal interest stuff. And unless you're going into a field with alot of intellectuals I would argue even drop the honors stuff.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,735 times
The problem with removing my earlier internships is that they are more relevant to the jobs that I want. My current position is only relevant if I want to do healthcare consulting.

Also, I was coaching the high school basketball team my freshman year of college. I founded the athletic association when I was in high school, but I coached the team when I was in college. In light of this do you think that I should remove it?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 PM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa500 View Post
The problem with removing my earlier internships is that they are more relevant to the jobs that I want. My current position is only relevant if I want to do healthcare consulting.

Also, I was coaching the high school basketball team my freshman year of college. I founded the athletic association when I was in high school, but I coached the team when I was in college. In light of this do you think that I should remove it?
It sounds to me like it was a job, or the unpaid equivalent of a job, so keep it in. It certainly counts as work experience.

Your internships belong on the resume too. I don't understand people who expect everyone to pretend their lives started the day after they graduated from college. Real life doesn't work that way, and employers don't expect it to. Especially if you're a young, relatively recent college grad, putting experience from your college years on your resume is completely acceptable.

For what it's worth, I think your resume looks fine.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:53 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa500 View Post

Yes. You are an adult now.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
It looks pretty good - my only nitpick comment is that your current job is in the present tense, not the past tense

Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Drop the high school stuff, interests and double check your spelling, grammar and out of context jargon.
Agreed. That was over 5 years ago now. If you left out the high school stuff that would also give you more room to talk about other internships/jobs you had, or you could even expand a little more about your volunteer work and academic honors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sorority Mudbowl Coach. Lol.
I laughed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search