Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 AM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

This is a spin-off from another thread. It's my answer to what you put on your resume for the periods that you are unemployed.

I've spent most of my life self employed, but I have occasionally worked for a salary (5 times). I have always been hired at every job I applied for. I've never been turned down when I apply for a job, even though there are huge gaps where I am not working for anyone but myself.

If you are let go, start up a little business. Do something that will generate a bit of money. Then on your resume you can put that you owned and were running XYZ company and list the job skills that you had to use to run the company.

I don't suggest faking it, because they are going to ask questions about your business and you will just look like an idiot if you don't know the first thing about it.

If you start up a company, you will discover that you will have to use a lot of skills that look marvelous on a resume. You show that you are a worker who will get in there and work and not sit on your butt waiting for your paycheck so you can go home.

There is also the possibility that the business you start might make enough that you don't have to go back to working for a salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
Is this a spin-off from my thread. I totally agree with you, my only concern is that I'm sure there are enough people who fake it. I can say that I did tax returns while unemployed and in reality maybe just did one for my MIL. In my thread that was part of my concern that employers will start to look at these businesses people start and pass on them anyway because I'm sure many people just lie.

My GF has started her own business after she decided to quit her job. Now it's just about getting clients I'm hoping that she does get clients to build her portfolio. In the design business, a lot of people go on their own, but you just never know.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
The biggest impediment to this is that most small businesses fail. Of course, thorough research and a properly thought-out business plan can move the needle in your favor, but it's much easier to start up a business if you have a lot of savings or a high income and a side business. Many of the people you are referencing are going to be folks who are already in desperation mode and trying to survive. I'm not saying they can't succeed, but their resources are much scarcer. On the flip side, people can do amazing things out of desperation they would not have done without the stressors.

The labor market is much flexible than it has been in recent times as well. Let's say a person who made a living with a small business wants to reenter the labor force and thinks they will be better off as an employee. Even if they enter the same industry, they probably do not have the "related experience." I know several business owners, some with years of experience and 1%ers, who would have no place in today's employment market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search