Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,575,062 times

Advertisements

I have know this person for a long time now. He went through a lot of struggles (including divorce). He took a break from his career and did an MBA. Now, he asked me for a job in the firm I was working in and luckily, there was a position available at that time. Since the recruiting manager was my friend, I used some influence and got him a job. It was a contract for 12 months but then, they were looking to make that position permanent. After 12 months, his contract was terminated.

Later I came to know that he was a very very poor performer and that he used to make plenty of errors and that he never delivers his tasks on time.

I obviously felt bad that it would go against my record that i referred a poor performer.
When he lost the job, he didnt find another one for a very long time; long enough to accumulate too much debt to be able to pay bills and keep a roof over his head.

Then he came again asking me for a reference letter to be given to a prospective employer. I gave a positive reference (given that he is my friend and he needs money). He got the job. He was laid-off in 6 months on a fulltime job!

Now he is asking me to speak to another recruiter and give him my reference again.

I am stuck. He is a good friend but obviously he is not doing smething right.
I am worried if i give my reference the third time and he messes it up, it would go very bad on my record.

Would you refer someone like this the third time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM

514 posts, read 764,870 times
No, he sounds incredibly irresponsible. I'm not sure I would even want someone like this as a "friend."

Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
No, he sounds incredibly irresponsible. I'm not sure I would even want someone like this as a "friend."
Ya, he doesnt sound professional at all. I have to find a way to politely tell him he can no longer use my reference. How do I do that?

I am his friend and he is mine. I cant break off because of this. Known him for years and we have been there for each other since primary school.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Say "I gave a reference for someone and it turned out bad so I am really not comfortable being a reference any longer"

Maybe he will assume it was someone else

Old 04-04-2014, 11:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
I think you should just be honest. Tell him that because the last two jobs for which you gave him a reference didn't work out you're just not comfortable doing so. It's not easy to do but it's in your best interests.

Just in the last few years a couple of former employees have asked me to give them references and I've declined - and told them why. In both cases they're really nice people and I like them a lot. But as employees they just weren't up to par (and they knew it) so it comes right back on me if I give them a good reference which isn't worth the paper it's written on. Now if someone wants a character reference attesting to their good nature and likability, no problem. I just can't truthfully say that they're good, from my standpoint, in their present occupations.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks Mr.Geek and STT. I have to tell him. I am bracing for it.

STT, I did tell him in the form of a feed back but it really didnt go well. He had his side of the story and the employers had their side to it.

I am going to tell him that maybe he should look for someone else because its just been too long ago he worked with us and the references are no longer current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search