Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 PM

92 posts, read 117,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Well, I know there's an opening in Roswell, NM for a state child support enforcement attorney. So, if you had a law degree, Area 51 might be the way to go.
lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Aside from Indian Employment Agencies () and "networking" with mommy's friends, how else are you exposing yourself to where the opportunities are?

Are you using Indeed.com? Are you using LinkedIn? What is it you really want to do, and can you get some college credit and internships behind you to start a pathway?
My friend, If i showed you my portfolio for the jobs I've been applying these past weeks; ranging from craigslist, careerbuilder, dice, simplyhired, Indeed and Monster, you would think that i have no life at all. I've tried absolutely relentlessly for the past 6 months. Just dabbing and crunching away at anything from Customer Service Representatives to Help Desk To PC Repair Consultant(I have a broad ray of I.T hardware skills, however I never finished my Associates Degree due to not being interesting in the field i was in) I've applied every single position, Security Guard, Home Depot, Lobby Attendant, Inside Sales, Under Armour, Retail, Call Center, All Entry level, Every single damn thing. I already have 1 year of Sneaker Sales/Retail Management/Wholesale/Import/Export under my belt, and lots of competent computer and communication knowledge, how the hell am i not getting anything?

All these positions that I keep getting called in for are Random B.S I've been to so many, and I've worked at quite few for several months to know how the show runs. You basically go---->however, you realize the job was a fraud, a typical cell-dwelling door to door, b.s marketing, some propaganda type corporate junk, processed promotional credit card organizations - that either pays commision only, or base salary is after 1 month of evaluation.

WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES AS THE INTERVIEW TAKES UP A WHOLE DAY??? Why? Thank you for being so thoughtful about my well-being. But why do I need to wear comfortable shoes on an interview? Are you going to make me jump up and down while your "top execs" ask me 1st grade questions? No. It's because that's when they will send you to different towns to knock on doors and sell whatever they want you to sell. It's not an interview. You already work for them without you knowing it. Those top execs they mention are your trainers who were suckered in before you. I wouldn't be surprised if the top exec (trainer) is the very same person who interviewed me. If you agree to stay with them, I'm pretty much sure you will be the trainer for another sucker eventually. It's a cycle

Are these the only type of jobs that are out there? Dealing with abysmal Fortune 500 companies, Selling Verizon Fios on the streets - like a drug dealer. Not even sure if you're going to get paid or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
A good solid resume will open doors. Customize the cover letters. No need to apply in bulk etc

Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Why did you wait until you were 24 to get a job? You don't have any experience, and you're competing with people 24 and up that have up to 8 years of experience. I've had a job steadily since I was 15, starting at $6 like you mentioned. Not everyone starts out at $50k a year at their first job.

Other than that, your attitude may not be helping. You added a curse word and all caps in part of your post. Most employers are looking for a certain level of maturity and dependability. What have you done besides work to show that you have those skills and can you work that into a resume or interview? Have you been a summer camp counselor? Have you tutored anyone? Do you have a resume, or do you just fill out job applications online? There are too many questions left unanswered to help you, but I will tell you it's very possible to find a job. I have a great job, but I've still interviewed for other jobs over the past few years and turned a few offers down that didn't offer what I wanted to make a move. Maybe you are setting your standards too high. You have to sell yourself and show your strengths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
A good solid resume will open doors. Customize the cover letters. No need to apply in bulk etc

I didn't necessarily wait till i was 24. I held a steady job for 2 years from 21-23 as a Internet Cafe Help Assistance, but the gig was not permanent, it was part time, and mainly helping a friend build up his empire, but he still paid me graciously, but i still list it on a resume as a Full Time to get extra brownie points.

I just don't simply see anything wrong with my resume. Yeah, maybe i *****ed around and partied/horsed around with my time in College, but I simply did not have the drive to go all the way,didn't have the ambition to do anything with my life, just spoiled by whatever money parents would give me to go out with the friends on weekends. I would assume I would land something half-decent, since I'm already computer/english literate, and I'm generally a people-person who loves dealing with communications/public and very familiar with the computer scene.

Here's my resume if you can critique it, because I don't see anything wrong with it, I just have the utmost worst of the worst luck, pertaining to landing something other than flipping burgers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objective:
To secure a position in Information Technology, Customer Service, Helper/Help desk assistant, Maintenance, Sales or anything Computer oriented, with the opportunity of professional and personal growth

Education:

General Equivalency Degree(aka: High School Diploma) - Auxiliary Jamaica Learning Center
1 year and a half Community College in Liberal Arts with brief Computer Science courses
CompTIA Certification of A+ Opting for Network and Security+ Certificate in the near future
8 & 16 hour Security Guard Certificate + NYS Guard License

Work History:

-Full time Tier 1 Help Desk/Service Manager in a very mainstream Internet Cafe lounge/PC Repair Consultant(2009-2011)
(Responsibilities include Troubleshooting for more than 900+ Several Desktops & Laptops, software error correction, home/business networking, Resolving and Administrating Active Directory, Group Policy, Exchange, Firewalls, Android, Desktop/Laptop hardware and general end user software. Keeping up to date with Intel & AMD x86 x64 Architectures, Motherboards and Raid Controllers. Broad Knowledge based in regards to detailed documentation, as well as creating instructional documents for external use. Extensive Troubleshooting knowledge of Windows ME - Windows 8, Updating Systems, Broad range of building PC's from scratch, Extensive knowledge of Computer Hardware and peer to peer/Network based technology.)

-Helped father with several night time package delivery/office management/dispatching/and various other map and job tasks.

-Retail Management/Wholesale/Sneaker store sales representative. Lots of valuable sales experience, customer satisfaction and communication acquired from this job.
Short-Term Representative for Moderator cut: snip individually as well(Feb 2013 to November 2013)

- Part Time Marketing, Advertising, door to door, heavy amounts of cold calling and business to business sales with Family Energy(Energy/Esco Supplier company) as well as Team Oriented appointment scheduling,Recruiting, direct referrals, and consumer based lead generating with Moderator cut: snip (December 2013 to Feb 2014)

Highlights:

-Strength in recognizing, analyzing and doing the best to solve any problems that may arise
-Honest, loyal, and very friendly/understanding towards customers
-Hard working, reliable and an effective team player
-Ability to learn and further progress as much as possible.
-Knowledgeable and excellent towards computer and communication skills.
-Fluent in English, sociable, highly trusted and eager to learn as much as possible.

Activities/Interests:
Troubleshooting basic hardware/software computer problems. Fixing and repairing any general issues with electronics. Outgoing and Highly sociable. Enjoy helping people in the gym, enjoy assistance/voluntary/technical work, enjoy learning about new things and getting to be acquainted with new people on a daily basis. Absolutely fond of tennis and to this day, still play it with the Pops on the weekends. Very fond of History, travel and using any valuable life experiences to help other people in dire need. I'm generally just an all-rounder - and I enjoy incorporating all types of field positions into my socially active lifestyle with genuine desire to succeed and progressively move ahead.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 02-20-2014 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Removed employer names to limit identity-theft risk

Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM

514 posts, read 764,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaUZE_BOSS View Post
The main reason i quit that job 6 months ago because I got Co-workers trying to shove Taco Bell & Beer down my throat, and i already come from a terribly out of shape background, and for me, it's hard to ignore these type of offers/outings.
this might be the funniest thing i've ever read on this forum.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
The main reason i quit that job 6 months ago because I got Co-workers trying to shove Taco Bell & Beer down my throat, and i already come from a terribly out of shape background, and for me, it's hard to ignore these type of offers/outings.
That's an odd reason to quite a job. Maybe you should have just said "thanks but no thanks" and then not brought money to tempt you to buy any.

Many jobs have "food pushers" at my current job people bring TONS of food each day, cakes, candies, leftovers from meetings and group functions, etc. But I rarely touch any of it and bring my own food daily.

Well since there is nothing wrong with your resume or attitude just keep applying.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Lose the aka HS diploma

helped father isn't working

Lose sneer and call it sports attire

Only list a language if its not english

Quote:
Objective:
To secure a position in Information Technology, Customer Service, Helper/Help desk assistant, Maintenance, Sales or anything Computer oriented, with the opportunity of professional and personal growth

Education:

General Equivalency Degree(aka: High School Diploma) - Auxiliary Jamaica Learning Center
1 year and a half Community College in Liberal Arts with brief Computer Science courses
CompTIA Certification of A+ Opting for Network and Security+ Certificate in the near future

Work History:

-Full time Tier 1 Help Desk/Service Manager in a very mainstream Internet Cafe lounge/PC Repair Consultant(2009-2011)
(Responsibilities include Troubleshooting for more than 900+ Several Desktops & Laptops, software error correction, home/business networking, Resolving and Administrating Active Directory, Group Policy, Exchange, Firewalls, Android, Desktop/Laptop hardware and general end user software. Keeping up to date with Intel & AMD x86 x64 Architectures, Motherboards and Raid Controllers. Broad Knowledge based in regards to detailed documentation, as well as creating instructional documents for external use. Extensive Troubleshooting knowledge of Windows ME - Windows 8, Updating Systems, Broad range of building PC's from scratch, Extensive knowledge of Computer Hardware and peer to peer/Network based technology.)

-Helped father with several night time package delivery/office management/dispatching/and various other map and job tasks.

-Retail Management/Wholesale/Sneaker store sales representative. Lots of valuable sales experience, customer satisfaction and communication acquired from this job.
Short-Term Representative for Nike/Jordan individually as well(Feb 2013 to November 2013)

- Part Time Marketing, Advertising, door to door, heavy amounts of cold calling and business to business sales with Family Energy(Energy/Esco Supplier company) as well as Team Oriented appointment scheduling,Recruiting, direct referrals, and consumer based lead generating with Jewish Marketing Solutions (December 2013 to Feb 2014)

Highlights:

-Strength in recognizing, analyzing and doing the best to solve any problems that may arise
-Fluent in English, sociable, highly trusted and eager to learn as much as possible.

Activities/Interests:
Troubleshooting basic hardware/software computer problems. Fixing and repairing any general issues with electronics. Outgoing and Highly sociable. Enjoy helping people in the gym, enjoy assistance/voluntary/technical work, enjoy learning about new things and getting to be acquainted with new people on a daily basis. Absolutely fond of tennis and to this day, still play it with the Pops on the weekends. Very fond of History, travel and using any valuable life experiences to help other people in dire need. I'm generally just an all-rounder - and I enjoy incorporating all types of field positions into my socially active lifestyle with genuine desire to succeed and progressively move ahead.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
I didn't necessarily wait till i was 24. I held a steady job for 2 years from 21-23 as a Internet Cafe Help Assistance, but the gig was not permanent, it was part time, and mainly helping a friend build up his empire, but he still paid me graciously, but i still list it on a resume as a Full Time to get extra brownie points.

I just don't simply see anything wrong with my resume. Yeah, maybe i *****ed around and partied/horsed around with my time in College, but I simply did not have the drive to go all the way,didn't have the ambition to do anything with my life, just spoiled by whatever money parents would give me to go out with the friends on weekends. I would assume I would land something half-decent, since I'm already computer/english literate, and I'm generally a people-person who loves dealing with communications/public and very familiar with the computer scene.

Here's my resume if you can critique it, because I don't see anything wrong with it, I just have the utmost worst of the worst luck, pertaining to landing something other than flipping burgers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objective:

Education:

Work History:

Short-Term Representative for Nike/Jordan individually as well(Feb 2013 to November 2013)

- Part Time Marketing, Advertising, door to door, heavy amounts of cold calling and business to business sales with Family Energy(Energy/Esco Supplier company) as well as Team Oriented appointment scheduling,Recruiting, direct referrals, and consumer based lead generating with Jewish Marketing Solutions (December 2013 to Feb 2014)

Highlights:

Activities/Interests:
If this is legitimately your résumé. I think we found the problem.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM

582 posts, read 779,327 times
I'm will tell you something your don't want to hear and then tell you what you need to do -- that resume is terrible. As an employer I stopped reading at your Objective statement. At that point it was throw in the trash. The grammar was poor, sentience and thoughts were incomplete, and the layout was poor. This resume will not get you a job.

Here is what you need to do. Find out what temp agency supports the local factories in your area. Get on there. Accept where they send you and do your best to make them look good. Use this as an in to a factory job. Non-union factories use the temp agency as testing grounds. They hire on the workers that do best work and pass the rest on to other companies.

Once you are working, go back to school part time and work on getting a degree. It appears you are interested in IT, so take some computer courses. At some point you will need to make a break from the shop floor to IT, but when you do you will at least have a work history.

As for the resume, pitch it.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
That's an odd reason to quite a job. Maybe you should have just said "thanks but no thanks" and then not brought money to tempt you to buy any.

Many jobs have "food pushers" at my current job people bring TONS of food each day, cakes, candies, leftovers from meetings and group functions, etc. But I rarely touch any of it and bring my own food daily.

Well since there is nothing wrong with your resume or attitude just keep applying.
Beera, that wasn't the only reason I left the position. The food part definitely had a role in it, but it was more than that. I felt basically bullied. By an aggressive co-worker who would think he was superior than others because he's been working 4 months longer than me.

I got disrespected in the other Retail Joints that the Boss had sent me to(from time to time) as well. Mostly it was another Manager(Indian mid 30's with turban) at a Rockaway store who always use to cry about why i was so idle, why aren't you doing something when no customers are there, always crying over the minor minor details. Then laugh about everything once he was in a happy mood, and always backtracking and trash talking behind people's back.

I was surrounded with excellent co-workers, and then there were those rotten apples that were just too unbearable, add that on top of the fact that the job felt dead-end, hopeless, tiring, depressing, always looking at the clock begging for the day to end, made you do most of the work that was supposed to be done at an even-spread out pace, just marked the decison i was willing to make, even if i had no other job prospects lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Lose the aka HS diploma

helped father isn't working

Lose sneer and call it sports attire

Only list a language if its not english
thx boner, will definitely try to add your suggestions and try to improvise on some of those parts, and try to adjust everything accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
If this is legitimately your résumé. I think we found the problem.
Instead of offering a great deal of negativity/ constructive criticism to anything you feel is deployable worthy, Is there any valuable offering that you would like to bring to the table? Because if not, your posts don't really contribute much to this discussion at all.

Moderator cut: deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I'm will tell you something your don't want to hear and then tell you what you need to do -- that resume is terrible. As an employer I stopped reading at your Objective statement. At that point it was throw in the trash. The grammar was poor, sentience and thoughts were incomplete, and the layout was poor. This resume will not get you a job.

Here is what you need to do. Find out what temp agency supports the local factories in your area. Get on there. Accept where they send you and do your best to make them look good. Use this as an in to a factory job. Non-union factories use the temp agency as testing grounds. They hire on the workers that do best work and pass the rest on to other companies.

Once you are working, go back to school part time and work on getting a degree. It appears you are interested in IT, so take some computer courses. At some point you will need to make a break from the shop floor to IT, but when you do you will at least have a work history.

As for the resume, pitch it.
thx for the tip. I appreciate it. I did enroll in a resume Upgrade/Scratch building class, that was offered free during a visit to one of those workforce1 job placement areas that i went to a while back, that taught a great deal of resume and interview skills. I believe i had an appointment on March the 4th, but i always assumed my resume was fine, but maybe I should go to that class, and maybe i should go back to re-doing the Associates Degree, but particularly..... in something pertaining to Computers and Business line.

thx for the tip.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 02-20-2014 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: quoted post deleted

Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM

582 posts, read 779,327 times
I hoped it helps and I didn't come across too harsh. Attend that resume class. Also check and see if the unemployment office has any services that may help. Some area offer help with resume writing and the like. If you go back to school, the school may also have resources to help. The local library will also have resources that you can check out. (Pick up a few IT books while you are at it)

At this point you need to build a work history. That may mean working through some jobs you don't like to get to the one that you do.

You may also want to consider making your own job. Find something that people will pay to have done and do it. (Make sure its legal and moral)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search